PA Residents Running Long Arms - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > PA Residents Running Long Arms

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep
I don't see why long arms would cause an inspection problem,and doing things right is the safest way to do it.
I have been selling Jeeps since the square headlight days. The only problem with inspections/with long arms are if they are Tri-Linked or Quad-Linked. They really don't like Trussed Axles. I have 16 mechanics at my dealership. It is at their discretion, because if something fails their name is on it.

Here inlies the next problem. In Pa. the DOT has the right to pull any vehicle over for inspection. And they have more say than the State Police. They now can deem your Jeep unsafe. And they are cracking down. Measuring bumper heights, angles and putting a straight edge down from fender to tire to see how far the tires are sticking out. They pulled a customer of mine over and told him they would appreciate it if he would put mudflaps on because of the amount of snow it was flinging on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
supbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post

I have been selling Jeeps since the square headlight days. The only problem with inspections/with long arms are if they are Tri-Linked or Quad-Linked. They really don't like Trussed Axles. I have 16 mechanics at my dealership. It is at their discretion, because if something fails their name is on it.

Here inlies the next problem. In Pa. the DOT has the right to pull any vehicle over for inspection. And they have more say than the State Police. They now can deem your Jeep unsafe. And they are cracking down. Measuring bumper heights, angles and putting a straight edge down from fender to tire to see how far the tires are sticking out. They pulled a customer of mine over and told him they would appreciate it if he would put mudflaps on because of the amount of snow it was flinging on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
That's interesting, I always thought DOT only went after commercial trucks. I had no idea jeeps would be pulled and fully road side inspected.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
heezy101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run long arms and haven't had an issue w/ inspection. My tires also stick out past the flairs. I got a talking to when I was pulled over for going too fast once, but no other ticket. I also got stopped for not having my headlights/fogs aimed properly, but again, no ticket.

This was back when the Heep was my DD.

Just my experiences.
'98 TJ, Rough Country Long Arms, Curry HD steering with Redneck Ram Hydro assist, RE 4.5" Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 15x8 Procomp 1079, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, LOD Signature series rear bumper and tire carrier with lights, Super 35, 4.56's, Detroit TruTrack front, ARB rear, Viair Heavy Duty OBA
heezy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
supbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezy101 View Post
I run long arms and haven't had an issue w/ inspection. My tires also stick out past the flairs. I got a talking to when I was pulled over for going too fast once, but no other ticket. I also got stopped for not having my headlights/fogs aimed properly, but again, no ticket.

This was back when the Heep was my DD.

Just my experiences.
I got stopped for flares once total bull****, guy said he could have fined me 300, I was like uh-huh, sure.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
DonBray2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I certify state inspection mechanics. There are no stipulations in the inspection manual regarding long arm suspensions. Tires beyond the fender flares and road debris deflection is something that is covered in the manual, and they are cracking down on. As far DOT, they use the pa motor vehicle guidelines, which is more detailed but similar to state inspection guidelines. The only gray area a technician can fail a vehicle by is if he feels there is something rendering it unsafe. I'm not sure if a long arm alone would constitute that. The pa inspection manual is public knowledge, and can be found at Penndots website. When I do builds I just follow the guidelines laid out in the equipment section and especially the reject if section, which is what technicians use to decide whether something fails or not. Our inspection program is laid out well and if used properly is a very clearly written program. if you can't find the publication 45 (inspection manual) pm me ill send you the link or PDF.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.