Pa inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Pa inspection

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pa inspection

Hey all MD Guy popping by. A friend (coworker) of mine recently purchased a 84 CJ7 from a family member in South Carolina. He's attempted to tag it in PA however the inspection station keeps failing him. He was told due to the fact its lifted (4") with 33's and has an after-market exhaust, mainly muffler. He's attempted to tag it as historic and still hits the same wall... Could this just be the inspection station or just PA? Looking for any pointers and or help for him. He doesn't Have any spare parts ie..tires or springs to put it back to "stock" and I only have wrangler parts as he's currently running the standard CJ springs no YJ conversion. Thanks in advance.

KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
RubiconGuy04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What area location in PA? Antique tags need everything to be stock, even paint color

also sounds like a ****ty area of stations and slamming ur buddy with the inspection book
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Espyvillesam
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the tires stick out, it can fail. Bumpers over height, it can fail. It should be smog exempt though, i think an 84is old enough.
Espyvillesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
IBreakStuff
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its sounds like they are giving him a hard time. If the tires are sticking out to far then throw a set of stock or smaller tires there,that will keep im in the flares and drop the bumper height. if he wants smog exempt h has to keep the mileage under 5000 per year of him owning the vehicle. just because the muffler is different it shouldn't fail(unless that the stipulation of the plate he wants).
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLT88YJ View Post
Hey all MD Guy popping by. A friend (coworker) of mine recently purchased a 84 CJ7 from a family member in South Carolina. He's attempted to tag it in PA however the inspection station keeps failing him. He was told due to the fact its lifted (4") with 33's and has an after-market exhaust, mainly muffler. He's attempted to tag it as historic and still hits the same wall... Could this just be the inspection station or just PA? Looking for any pointers and or help for him. He doesn't Have any spare parts ie..tires or springs to put it back to "stock" and I only have wrangler parts as he's currently running the standard CJ springs no YJ conversion. Thanks in advance.
you dont need inspection to get it tagged you get 10 days after getting tags and if your gonna drive in MD they wont care if it dont have PA inspection stickers
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the replies. As far as I know he's just going for historic non antique. He's in the York area just shy of Dallastown. Its got a full resto minus the lift, bushwhacker cut outs... Ill be passing this info on to him! I'm just glad my 88 YJ is tagged historic no more emissions
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
oteps
1980 CJ5 

He will not be able to do a classic or antique tags because of the lift. It has to be original. For the inspection, like someone else said if the tires stick out past the flares it fails, and flares cant be wider than 3 inches. For the exhaust, it should have a full exh system going out past the edge of the body, not near a door. he will need an emissions inspection also, its just a visual for that year, everything that is stock must be there and LOOK like it works. Sounds like the inspection station is picky or the auditor is watching them to give them a fine for one of the grey area rules. Take it to a jeep friendly station and not a big dealership.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

No lift height restriction on a jeep in pa.
Jeeps with stock plastic flares count as part of the fender, so 3" wider than that. It's a grey area law, some stations interpret it to mean any flare, though stock tj's had wider in some cases.
The tire TREAD must be covered by the flare/fender at all angles. Metal fenders, like tube fenders, don't count as flares to most stations.

If he is really going for a classic or antique tag, thats his problem. Classic tags are more restrictive these days, not less. Dont even think about a hot/street rod tag unless you've got vin numbers from donor vehicles that are verified scrapped, receipts for all new parts, and labor done in a state licensed shop. Then it has to be inspected at a special station for hot rods, substantially altered vehicles, and r-title vehicles.

Just get a regular tag on it and go to a decent small shop.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
wsar10
2003 WJ 

google PA inspection laws, print them and take them with ya........ I have, because even a hardass can't argue black and white !

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.