Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Trails Rd Thread - Southern York Co, Pa

146K views 2K replies 109 participants last post by  mikeg576 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess the original owner of the Trails Rd thread got sick of people posting BS that had nothing to do with access to Trails Rd, the use of it, how to work to keep it open for use. :nono:

Since Trails Rd. is still going to get used regardless of whether or not the thread is here, let's start it back up again and keep it rolling. Think the thread was a good place for people to meet up and talk about the conditions on Trails, post what they tackled on Trails Rd, what it took to run it, and definitely etiquette to the landowners around trails (important!), etc.

So we know it can be run by a STOCK Jeep/rig and it's challenging enough for even a modified one to make things interesting.

Google maps puts it here: http://goo.gl/maps/ckR6

#410 ·
I have to read back through the threads to figure out what I need to get to go to 33's and wider. I really don't know all that much about wheels and tires.

Also thinking of ordering a Tom Woods driveshaft just to take off some of the stress on the U-joints. my driveshaft binds when at full extention, and I think I may have a little vibration during early acceleration.

#411 ·
Akordboy on here (Jeff) runs 35-12.5s with his 3 inch BDS. Should be able to put them on at least. I think with that amount of lift, you'd want a longer CV DS anyway, particularly with TJ/Rubi. I run front and rear Tom Woods in the XJ. Cant complain. Some might do it cheaper. I know a lot of ppl like Quigley in York. Probably run you the same as TW - $300.

#467 ·
Krash, dug up your post from a couple weeks ago about CV drive shafts. Heres the report I got from Mid-Atlantic 4X4. They said that my pinion angle is 12 degrees, my drive shaft is 17 and my transfer output angle is 7 degrees. These are all under some sort of load as opposed to full droop. They said that has me at 5 degrees of difference and that is Ok. They did say that my drive shaft spline if stretched to the max though, and I should probably look at lengthing or replacing the rear drive shaft. I think I'll just go ahead with a Tom Woods driveshaft anyway, and maybe I can avoid other problems later on. Mid-Atlantic gave me my center to center measurment (16 3/4").

** EDIT ** I called Tom Woods again, but I was looking at their site a bit more and I saw something that I had forgotten. They recommend a 3 degrees or less angle for their double cardan drive shaft. I called them anyway and gave them all my numbers. They said I really need to get that pinion angle changed to 3 or less, so I guess I'll go hit Mid-Atlantic up again.

#412 ·
Quigleys is cheap and quick

Also trails rd in the rain :thumbsup:

The trail is a damn mess whoever goes nect needs to take a heavy duty trash bag I picked a box fullof trash off ground and there is a **** load more down there

#413 ·
I had a nice long chat with a tech from Tom Woods today. Learned a good bit. He seemed to be very aware of the issues associated with a 4.5 lift on a Rubi. He said that the combo of a 14" rear drive shaft and a 4.5 lift makes for a bit steep angle. His recommendation is to adjust the rear control arms to rotate the pinion up as much as possible and then a double Cardan CV drive shaft. He also said that the combo of the two can make the transfer of power as smooth as stock, which would be great. The Rubi is going to a Ocala 4x4 shop next week to see what they can do for the angle. While it is there, I'm going to ask them to tell mE the angle going in, the angle they get me to, and a good measurement for ordering a driveshaft. Anything see I need to ask about or know?

**EDIT** I guess I should have posted this in my thread rather than in here. Sorry all.

#414 ·
Ah set it yourself! Take your iPhone or Droid and download an angle finder app. Zero it, set it on a flat spot of the axle to measure before. Then adjust the control arms and/or cams to take some angle out. Just check the angle on both sides and keep it even/within a half degree. Keep in mind what saharaman said. Your springs will wanna pop. Might consider spring retainers if you don't reangle your brackets. Hate to say it, but when you put 4.5 inches of lift on, it's never a bolt on affair. It snowballs from here on out....

#415 ·
Spring retainers are probably a good idea. I had not thought about that. So the springs will likely still work ok with retainers, even if the spring base isn't relocated?

#416 ·
Welllllll... the right way to do it is to cut the buckets off and put new ones on at the correct angle. You might consider the other brackets too depending on what clearance/bind issues you got. But, if you are looking for cheap and easy, I think currie makes bumpstop/retainers for TJs.

IMHO, maybe go with less of a lift with shorter coils? Like if you decide on 33s and only need 3 inches of coil, take your 4.5s out and sell them. Bumpstop the axles to make sure nothing grinds and set up for droop. Shorter coils means you'll keep your COG lower offroad too...the prob with that is you may need different shocks at that point.

All depends on what you need/want though, I dont remember if you said what you were looking to do.

#420 ·
Rausch Creek trip 25-26 June

Trying to put together a group trip to Rausch for the weekend of 25-26 June. I tried to call Rausch but there was no answer, and tried to email them from their email page but its a bad link. I try to get a regular email for them and send my questions. Anyway, looking back through the thread, I have made up a list of people that expressed an interest. The folks I have so far are:

krashnpa
Dukie564
squazz
Jasons4x4
HUBDEEP
blackouttj

Not sure about anyone else, but I am thinking that I would try to head up friday afternoon, and set up camp. The plan would be to wheel on at least saturday the 25th, camp overnight and maybe wheel again on the 26th before heading home.

At this point, I am not sure if there are any events going on that weekend or not. I don't see any listed on the website. If anyone else is interested, please let me know so I can add you to the list.

#422 ·
I tried to call Rausch but there was no answer, and tried to email them from their email page but its a bad link. I try to get a regular email for them and send my questions.
I have Lynn and Bruce's cell #. What do you need to know?

#423 ·
I'm just having some issues with their website having deadend links, but I wanted to know if there were any special events that we needed to be aware of that may impact the amount of camping space, and if we needed a reservation for camping. I don't have a camp stove and other items needed for real camping, so I hope we will find food not to far away.

#427 ·
The calendar on the site will show any events.

No reservations for camping, as it is 'first come, first served'. We usually try and get there Friday evening to guarantee a spot.

At exit 104, at the Exxon, there is a Subway/Jerry's type shop for food, drinks, ice, etc. Down at exit 100 there is a McDonalds and a Gooseberry farms family style restaurant. Further east in Pine Grove there is a few bars/ restaurants for fortification. There is a also a beer distributor on the back road between exits 100 and 104, (the back way from Pine Grove to the Exxon at 104).

Camp stove? Hahaha . . No cooking hot dogs over the fire? Where's your sense of adventure Kevin? :laugh: :cheers2:

#425 ·
Yes, I read that they do have fire rings and such. My problem is the Rubi doesnt have a ton of space for things like a cooler and such. I'm not worried for myself as much as the boy. I think he's got a tapeworm or something the way he eats.

#428 ·
The whole point of camping is the fire which you make to cook stuff with... Although stoves do come in handy for cooking small items when the fire is pre occupied with other food and such like coffee and sausege in the morning if you don't want to wait to get a fire started. But a fire is where its at.

#429 ·
Mmmm mountain pies...

#430 ·
Um do they allow beer drinking cuz aint mo fun in having a campfire if ya cant get drunk

#431 ·
WranglerAngel05 said:
Mmmm mountain pies...
Mmm I love those! We had mountain pie makers when I was in scouts.

#432 ·
Angel, you aren't on the list but sounded like you might be interested. What say ye?

#433 ·
Anyone heading to Trails tomorrow (Sunday)? Guess I'm going on my own, but it would be great to meet someone up there.

#434 ·
KevKaos said:
Angel, you aren't on the list but sounded like you might be interested. What say ye?
I am so torn! I want to but I got someone else trying to drag me to the beach. Plus, I feel like I'm entering "paranoia zone" with the Jeep. Something was rattling underneath and I feel like I'm on borrowed time for not messing something up. I guess I wouldn't have to do anything crazy, but...

Sorry can't accompany at Trails tomorrow. All booked up...lol...would love to see how the Rubi runs with the lift, though! (jealous)

#443 ·
I feel like I'm entering "paranoia zone" with the Jeep. Something was rattling underneath and I feel like I'm on borrowed time for not messing something up.
Welcome to owning an older jeep lol. I lost count of the number of rattles mine has - it adds character :2thumbsup:

#435 ·
That's ok. Squazz called and said he couldn't make it after all so I'm not positive what I'm going to do yet. I may roll on up just to try her out and see if any of the locals are about. If trash is still laying about, I'll try to police the area a bit.

#436 ·
If I.do it wont be till 3 or 4pm damn brakes duralast my *** the pin hole that hooks up self adjuster was reamed out and would not hold pin so I got the BFH out tried to wedge it in and shattered the shoe so whenever the parts store opens Im gonna go have words with them

Edit: guess it's my fault trying to install brakes 9:30 at night but cone on where was quality control

#437 ·
I want to go but hopefully that weekend the jeep will be getting some new goodies! But if not i would love to attend

#440 ·
Mmm. Beer and... Oreos?

#442 ·
#444 ·
You could go with my Stepson and I. You can ride B@#$H on the back seat. hehehehehe

#445 ·
Revised list of people thinking they will go to Rausch with us the weekend of June 25th.

krashnpa
Dukie564 (questionable now)
squazz
Jasons4x4
HUBDEEP
blackouttj
ScottD16 (maybe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.