Montgomery County Mechanic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Montgomery County Mechanic?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Montgomery County Mechanic?

Im looking to regear my rubi from 4:11 to 4.88 does anyone know of a guy who does sidework and has a good reputation or a fair priced garage in montgomery or bucks county PA. After getting a bunch of estimates most were 1300 to 1400 all said and done including parts. I found one guy that said 400 for labor but I dont know anything about him other than th fact that the place is transmission shop.

blackruby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spend the cash, get a reputable shop to do the upgrade, and have peice of mind that they will stand behind their work. You want to ask, and preferably have in writing their labor/workmanship warranty.
(I recently had to regear a ford explorer that was all stock, but was improperly spaced from the factory. There was a great deal of noise, and when disassembled i found that the gears had slowly been eating each other to the point making the gear teeth sharp as razors. That was an adjustment error of a few hundredths of an inch! )

$1000+/- is about right for a front & rear regear.
Parts alone will be $500+

I suggest that you do your own research, purchase your own parts, then have a shop install them for the $600+/-
I charge the going local rate of $375 per differential, and turn away any gearing job that I get the feeling will be abused. (racing & wheelin) It's a learned, intensive skill, includes not so cheap tools, and is a big responsibility. I'm replacing somthing that is designed to last the life of a vehicle, and a very small mestake can have expensive consequinces.

Don't cheap out on the bearing kits. The bearings are in my opinion more important than the brand of gears. High end Timken bearings are the way to go.

David @ northridge4x4 is very helpful & knowledgeable on the correct parts to use, nad has fair prices.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

oh...I got excited because I thought you meant Montgomery county MD. Had no idea there was a MoCo in PA.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
blackruby56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

bump for anymore insight, thanks for those who have given advice.
blackruby56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.