Michaux state forest PA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Michaux state forest PA

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

Michaux state forest PA

Michaux state forest PA. anyone ever go here, or any of the DNR trails in PA?

St.Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Dtowncats
1997 ZJ 

Where is this located? I see you aren't far from me.
Unread 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
ToxicTurtle

you guys can contact Steve Forrester, he's the Vice Chair of EC4WDA and lives in that neck of the woods and deals with the forest service personnel down there regularly.
His email is: 4ester@innernet.net

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mostly stock type stuff. Last I knew it was just ATV's and such up there....
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

It's up near York. I think North of the Manchester Mall. I was reading some other forums that talked about it and said that it is mostly logging roads. It also stated that they don't plow all of them since they are also used for snowmobile trails in the winter. As for being able to use a Jeep, the DNR website just says you need to register with them before using the trails. I will call in the AM and let you guys know what I find out. I don't have a bad *** rig like HUBDEEP, so trail ridding is fine. I just want to get off the road. I Will post a link to the PA DNR page. If you guys know of any light trail ridding around our way let me know and we can meet up.
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

Heres the link.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...s/michaux.aspx
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are a few drivable more offroad type trails, but the majority of it is dirt roads. I'm usually up there at least once a summer for a family picnic. I haven't checked out any of these roads in quite some time so it's possible they could have changed by now. But as a young kid we would go there in groups and just horseplay around. There is also a nice campground up there called Mountain Creek Campground if you want to spend a night or two.
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Patrick
It's up near York. I think North of the Manchester Mall.
Actually it's on the other side of Gettysburg going towards Chambersburg. Just follow route 30 all the way through Gettsyburg and about another 5-10 miles you will start getting into game land. You will go up a big hill and then down the other side. Once you reach the bottom of the hill you will see route 233 you are there.
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

Thanks for the info. But a couple more ?'s if you don't mind. I think the link says there are about 46 miles of trails. Does that sound right? Also, juat dirt roads, anything better or is it like going down a gravel driveway? stream crossings or anything?
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The trails they are talking about are hiking/walking trails. The Appalachian trail runs right through Michaux State Forest. Then there are branches off of that to site see and what not. This is a big area for hunters as well. It was primarily dirt roads, not much that I can remember as far mud holes or anything like that. But again it has been quite some time since I ventured out on these so maybe things changed.

About 15 years ago I used to go to 3 Lakes up in Pigeon Hills outside of Abottstown. Now that was a different story. There was so many accesses off numberous roads that was strictly 4wd territory. They eventually started draining the lakes down and it was a hangout that got out of hand. Now evey access has a locked gate across it. Sure is a shame that was a great place to go.
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Kerovick

Boom!

Three years later.

Are there any maps of the road system up there. I'm only a few miles away. A nice swimming hole would be awesome!
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
SmallsWk
2007 WK 

I see your from Fairfield. I lived damn near in Michaux. I live in Chambersburg now. I know all of those roads like the back of my hand. Sadly, they have closed a few of the roads down and clear cut ALOT of the woods. These are basically just dirt roads. Nice scenery though. Could easily kill a few hours just driving around.

I'm at work now but will post a few pictures when I get home of a few different vehicles I've had around there.

Ever want to grab a beer or something, shoot me a PM! I could really eat some Ventura's wings or crablegs sometime
SmallsWk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
FZY1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

he obviously never got the pictures up.

It is nice but the last time I checked there were no real Jeepin trails, ATV, Horse, and walking trails.
FZY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZY1 View Post
he obviously never got the pictures up.

It is nice but the last time I checked there were no real Jeepin trails, ATV, Horse, and walking trails.
Hi neighbor. Basically dirt roads up there, sometimes they open up gates during hunting season. It can get fun if we have a lot of snow.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
FZY1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That would be fun, if I knew them or had someone with me who did.
FZY1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.