Lancaster County Jeepers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Lancaster County Jeepers

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #76
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome Ninja!!
The more the merrier!! I know the Jeep clubs are few and far between in PA so welcome aboard.

littlethimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #77
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethimble
Welcome Ninja!!
The more the merrier!! I know the Jeep clubs are few and far between in PA so welcome aboard.
Yo!
Yeah.
Around me there is absolutely nothing at all.
In bucks there is this one curious dirt road on google maps that is right next to a sewage plant that is titled "jeep trail"
One day I'm gonna see what exactly it is.
Rousch creek is to far away for me to go there. Maybe once in a while but it's not convenient.
I know there was someplace my dad would take his stock cj in Lancaster, if he could do it my stock yj probably could.
Hopefully.
Of course first I need it running ;p
2 of 6 cylinders honed with the fine hone.
So close.
I'm gonna be getting the comp cam 115-65-4 I think it's called
And then one or two other things and it's reassembly time.
There is a phrase my dad uses back from his Reno air race days I hope I will be able to describe my engine with.
a little foul language in the phrase but it's used to describe engines that are running perfect and pumping out power which I aim to have my engine do.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #78
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid
Yo!
Yeah.
Around me there is absolutely nothing at all.
In bucks there is this one curious dirt road on google maps that is right next to a sewage plant that is titled "jeep trail"
One day I'm gonna see what exactly it is.
Rousch creek is to far away for me to go there. Maybe once in a while but it's not convenient.
I know there was someplace my dad would take his stock cj in Lancaster, if he could do it my stock yj probably could.
Hopefully.
Of course first I need it running ;p
2 of 6 cylinders honed with the fine hone.
So close.
I'm gonna be getting the comp cam 115-65-4 I think it's called
And then one or two other things and it's reassembly time.
There is a phrase my dad uses back from his Reno air race days I hope I will be able to describe my engine with.
a little foul language in the phrase but it's used to describe engines that are running perfect and pumping out power which I aim to have my engine do.
i'm thinking you need to come over and have a look at my husband's 4.2 in his YJ he's having motor issues. it's supposed to be going to our vo-tech school this month to be overhauled because my husband is a diesel mechanic he doesn't do well with gas motors.
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #79
krashnpa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

D, any roll call for your meeting Sunday?
krashnpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #80
Jeepin_Dad
I Like TATAs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashnpa View Post
D, any roll call for your meeting Sunday?
I'm be there, wife and kids may come.
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #81
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We are hoping to have about 10 tomorrow. That will give us a good group to brainstorm with for everything.
Hope to see everyone!
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #82
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethimble

i'm thinking you need to come over and have a look at my husband's 4.2 in his YJ he's having motor issues. it's supposed to be going to our vo-tech school this month to be overhauled because my husband is a diesel mechanic he doesn't do well with gas motors.
What types of issues?
Also since the mobile version doesn't show info about people's jeeps what year is the jeep and engine?
I assume it's between 87-90 if it's a 4.2.
Does it still have the carter carb on it?
My dad is also very good at mechanical stuff as well so of I can't figure anything out I'll ask him.
And about everything else except video games...
Diesel mechanic?
Does he know anything about the 6.5 turbo diesel that came in Chevy trucks?
The one currently sitting in my moms old truck has a cracked head and my dad has another one sitting in the garage I plan on going through to see if anything is wrong with it and if it's a restoration candidate.
Wondering if he had any knowledge about that engine.
I keep on forgetting to check out the diesel engine books out library has.
I literally have at least a dozen automotive repair books (thrift stores, 35 cents for paperbacks, and 90 for hardbacks) so I have plenty of stuff on gasoline engines but only one mentioned diesel engines and even though that chapter was about overhauling these three diesel engines I am pretty sure there is a difference between 70's European diesel I-4's and a 90 V8.
That book had a chapter about overhauling rotary engines which was pretty interesting though.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #83
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow my posts wander a lot...
Hope you all have fun at the meeting.
My brother has a hockey game so I can't be making that meeting.
Once I get my jeep up and running and my license (take the test in a week or two) hopefully I'll be able to meet up with all of you.
Unread 10-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #84
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=ninjakid;12326718]What types of issues?
Also since the mobile version doesn't show info about people's jeeps what year is the jeep and engine?
I assume it's between 87-90 if it's a 4.2.
Does it still have the carter carb on it?
My dad is also very good at mechanical stuff as well so of I can't figure anything out I'll ask him.
And about everything else except video games...
Diesel mechanic?
Does he know anything about the 6.5 turbo diesel that came in Chevy trucks?]

It's an '89, with the 4.2 we're not sure what carb is on it. It looks like it's been replaced but I can't find the name on it.
It has part of the nutter bypass done on it, but we're not sure if the timing was reset, it will stall out after running for a couple of minutes, not sure what all else, he'll be able to tell you better.

I'll let Charlie post about the diesel, and what's wrong with the YJ motor, he'll be able to do that later on this evening.
Unread 10-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #85
CBDelux
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey ninja, welcome to the group. I know a few things in the 6.5. First off, there junk!!!! LOL!!! but anyway, If you need a hand with one, I might be able to help. As for my jeep, it is an 89 with the 4.2 in it. It has had the nutter bypass partially done to it. It has been rewired, but not sure if the timing has been advanced. and all the vacuum lines or whats left of them are still there. It runs, but not real well. and No I dont think it has the carter carb on it.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #86
rightjab
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping to show up for 1, my wife may tag along too
rightjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #87
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightjab
I'm hoping to show up for 1, my wife may tag along too
awesome Jab hope to see you and the missus.
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #88
littlethimble
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Meeting Notes

At today's meeting we decided for the first 12 months unless we have a major explosion in members, we will not be charging dues or membership fees.

We will be ordering Tee's and Stickers once we decide on a logo and have it designed and everyone will be responsible for paying the fees for those items, at cost. Right now the Tees are less than $10 each if we stick with one color. It's $1 more for each color we add to the logo. We need to decide what type of stickers we want to have designed and that will determine the cost, Markus can get a 2x5 inch sticker done for about $0.17 each if we order 300 (total outlay of cash $50). We also have some other options that we can get priced out once we have the logo designed. Does anyone know an artist that can create a logo?
One of the most popular ideas for the logo was the outline of the state with the outline of Lancaster County highlighted somehow with a Tire track running across the county.
We have decided the 3rd Sundays of every month at 2 p.m. would be our meeting times. (unless it's a special event then the time and date might change but we'll have lots of notice for everyone in those cases).

Ideas for trips... Anthracite Off Road park that is opening next year is offering free visits for clubs and groups, Peter is going to see about getting us set up for a visit. Jeeps in the Vineyard show is coming up in November, more information will be posted on that soon. Adams Jeep in Aberdeen has a great Jeep show every summer.

Obviously a trip to Rausch will be in order at some point, Peter has a scheduled ride with his JK friends for Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) that he said was open for any of us. Rock Run is an option for a weekend trip. Old Dogs has had some mixed reviews so we're debating about that one.

Tower Road and Trails Rd are local off road spots that we can see about doing as well.

If we don't want to wheel and just want to visit, Charlie and I have the option of using my parent's garage any time here in Holtwood. It's heated for the winter and stays pretty cool in the summer. We can also use this garage to wrench on our Jeeps and can offer to help our friends wrench on their Jeeps in the garage as well.

We want to also do some just family drives so if you know some scenic routes that can be done as day trips please let us know.

We would like to do at least one "service" get together per year where we raise money for something in the community. This could be participating in an existing event (Topless for Tatas, Save Second Base, Tailwagers Trot for the Humane Society of Lancaster, or The Annual Eastern PA Toy Run for Toys for Tots.) or we just do a ride and we fundraise and donate those funds to the charity of our choice.

I think that's about it, I'm going to be posting some polls on the facebook page, please feel free to comment on each poll if you have another suggestion.
If I missed anything, please feel free to post the additional information.
Thanks to Felix, Peter, and Justin and their families for coming out today.

Last edited by littlethimble; 10-17-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: math was wrong
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #89
66wjr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethimble View Post
We need to decide what type of stickers we want to have designed and that will determine the cost, Markus can get a 2x5 inch sticker done for about $6 each if we order 300.
$6 x 300 = $1800 too much cash outlay IMO
66wjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #90
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDelux View Post
hey ninja, welcome to the group. I know a few things in the 6.5. First off, there junk!!!! LOL!!! but anyway, If you need a hand with one, I might be able to help. As for my jeep, it is an 89 with the 4.2 in it. It has had the nutter bypass partially done to it. It has been rewired, but not sure if the timing has been advanced. and all the vacuum lines or whats left of them are still there. It runs, but not real well. and No I dont think it has the carter carb on it.
haha yeah I've noticed that about the engine.
They can be pretty capable but first you have to do a lot of work and even then they can't really compare to some other diesels out there.
My dad actually did a lot of stuff to it. After frying a couple of those control modules that did something important that slipped my mind since they stuck it right in the hot area he fabbed up a cooler for it using his mill and fixed that problem. He fixed a couple of its major flaws but in the end it was the engine itself that went out, not the accessories.
All things considered the truck that the engine was in is still in awesome condition for having just reached 200K miles. I plan on using the two engines I have at my disposal and building up a good engine and doing some maintenance and fixing the few things wrong with it and then selling it to buy more jeep parts ;p
The vacuum lines were left? That sounds strange. I wonder if the computer is still somehow trying to control the timing and making it worse. I hate to admit it but I have no experience with timing yet.
Since the guy I bought it from said he had just changed the spark plugs I didn't check them. They were the wrong ones. Piston 5 ate part of its plug and led me to this year long rebuild. Because of that I have no experience with timing. Although if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have all this equipment I do. I've got a Weber 32/36 and the stock Carter 2bbl in my garage somewhere. I'll try to get some pictures of them as comparisons. Wish I could help more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethimble View Post
At today's meeting we decided for the first 12 months unless we have a major explosion in members, we will not be charging dues or membership fees.

We will be ordering Tee's and Stickers once we decide on a logo and have it designed and everyone will be responsible for paying the fees for those items, at cost. Right now the Tees are less than $10 each if we stick with one color. It's $1 more for each color we add to the logo. We need to decide what type of stickers we want to have designed and that will determine the cost, Markus can get a 2x5 inch sticker done for about $6 each if we order 300. We also have some other options that we can get priced out once we have the logo designed. Does anyone know an artist that can create a logo?
One of the most popular ideas for the logo was the outline of the state with the outline of Lancaster County highlighted somehow with a Tire track running across the county.
We have decided the 3rd Sundays of every month at 2 p.m. would be our meeting times. (unless it's a special event then the time and date might change but we'll have lots of notice for everyone in those cases).

Ideas for trips... Anthracite Off Road park that is opening next year is offering free visits for clubs and groups, Peter is going to see about getting us set up for a visit. Jeeps in the Vineyard show is coming up in November, more information will be posted on that soon. Adams Jeep in Aberdeen has a great Jeep show every summer.

Obviously a trip to Rausch will be in order at some point, Peter has a scheduled ride with his JK friends for Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) that he said was open for any of us. Rock Run is an option for a weekend trip. Old Dogs has had some mixed reviews so we're debating about that one.

Tower Road and Trails Rd are local off road spots that we can see about doing as well.

If we don't want to wheel and just want to visit, Charlie and I have the option of using my parent's garage any time here in Holtwood. It's heated for the winter and stays pretty cool in the summer. We can also use this garage to wrench on our Jeeps and can offer to help our friends wrench on their Jeeps in the garage as well.

We want to also do some just family drives so if you know some scenic routes that can be done as day trips please let us know.

We would like to do at least one "service" get together per year where we raise money for something in the community. This could be participating in an existing event (Topless for Tatas, Save Second Base, Tailwagers Trot for the Humane Society of Lancaster, or The Annual Eastern PA Toy Run for Toys for Tots.) or we just do a ride and we fundraise and donate those funds to the charity of our choice.

I think that's about it, I'm going to be posting some polls on the facebook page, please feel free to comment on each poll if you have another suggestion.
If I missed anything, please feel free to post the additional information.
Thanks to Felix, Peter, and Justin and their families for coming out today.
My brother spent two years at a tech school doing graphic design. For some reason he switched to a different subject at college but he is good at what he does. A Amish buggy with big mud tires would be easy for him to do. He is extremely lazy but if we can motivate him with some pay I think he could do something. I'll ask him later on.
I think he could do a logo like that as well. When you say sticker you are talking about a vinyl sticker right? Because I might be able to do that here as well. The machine we have here can do a maximum of 23 inches across and since it can use rolls of vinyl we can probably do 3-4 across and as many as we need provided the roll is big enough. Rolls of vinyl aren't that expensive, just need to get the right type.
I'm trying to see if we have the proper program to be able to use the cutter for stuff other than just words. Might be able to do those logos, am gonna try and see if I can setup the software we have had sitting around to get it to a logo.
Do we have a list of what our club members can contribute to help out each other?
I don't have much experience but I've got tools and can turn wrenches, I've got a ton of chiltons books [YJ, I know I have one with cj7 stuff and I think one with cj5 stuff and possibly one with Willys mb stuff] the Jeep bible for all stuff cj related, A chiltons engine rebuilding book, some crash estimate guides [totally useless unless you want to know what the dealerships would charge for cj parts 20-30 years ago] All the stuff needed to do a valve job, a vinyl cutter [I can do words currently and am working on being able to do logos], and at work there is a paint booth upstairs [Your tub or frame is not gonna be able to make it up there but smallish parts like fenders and stuff could be done]
A plastic media cabinet for paint removal and a glass media for rust [Plastic booth is huge, Glass can barely fit a yj skid plate]
The only problems I have is that I'm going for my license at the end of this month so I can't drop by to visit or help you guys until then at least, and while my engine is nearing completion its the last 10% that takes 90% of the effort so I don't know when its gonna be roadworthy.
And by any chance I don't suppose any of you would have a old palm device that has a serial port I could buy from you for a reasonable price? I acquired a serial obd2 reader a while back for 25 bucks and found software for palm devices with serial ports but they are overpriced on craigslist and I'm gonna need to spend a couple hundred in jeep parts in the next couple days so 40-50 on a 10 year old device is not within my budget right now.
Hope to be able to visit Y'all soon.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.