Jeep Death wobble in PA, needing people to come forward!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Jeep Death wobble in PA, needing people to come forward!!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 01-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
ayedsena
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Death wobble in PA, needing people to come forward!!

I am writing to you because I do not know where else to go with this. Something needs to be done by Chrysler and something fast before something serious happens to someone. I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 door Sahara and I am experiencing with it what is called the "Death Wobble", If you were to search about this on the internet, you will see I am not the only one that this is happening to. I have called the dealership where I got the jeep and automatically they tell me that I need to have my stabilizer bar replaced and that it would cost me $250. I will tell you by all the complaints that I have seen on the internet that that will not fix the problem. I do not have the money to sink into this jeep for something that they say is going to fix it and it does not. What I experience when I hit a bump going about 50 is a violent shaking in the front end of my jeep to the point that I have to slow down to almost 20 mph to get it under control. I have also experienced it coming down a hill and when I put the brake on and the violent shaking happens again, but when I put the brake on to slow down it does it worse. I am very scared to drive my jeep and I am afraid for my family and our lives in this jeep, when I use to love it. If this is a steering stabilizer problem then I think that Chrysler needs to take responsibility for this. I am sure if you ran a story about this, tons of people will come forward with the same thing. My mother in law has a 2009 jeep wrangler 4 door and the same thing is happening to hers. She has had new tires put on it, balanced, and an alignment. She has had it to the dealer twice and they tell her nothing is wrong with the jeep. My friend Tammy Fell has 2007 Jeep wrangler 4 door and hers does it too. I am so tired of having a vehicle that I pay good money for and I am afraid to drive it. Here are some links to other complaints about the same problem. Please, Please Help me and others, before someone is seriously hurt or killed. Thank you so much!!!

ayedsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Jeepin_Dad
I Like TATAs
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine was doing the same this past summer, steering stabilizer will not fix the problem at best it will only mask it for a littl while. Being an '07 at this point some of your front end componets are probably in need of replacing. I had to correct a couple things to get the wobble to go away. My front track bar bolt at the frame had loosened up and had caused the hole to elongate, I ended up drilling out the hole to the next size and torqueing it to spec. My tie rod ends were also in need of replacing, instead of going with stock I up graded to a Rock Krawler tie rod, much beefier than stock, with moog tie rod ends.
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
RubiconGuy04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stop hitting the bumps on the grade? I'll buy your 4door wrangler $250 sounds ok? you wont have to worry no more
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
ayedsena
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh, so you know what I mean when you are coming up 61, For you information, I have to go 45 coming up there, so my jeep doesn't DW. You could buy my wrangler for the remainder of my loan, does that sound ok?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconGuy04 View Post
Stop hitting the bumps on the grade? I'll buy your 4door wrangler $250 sounds ok? you wont have to worry no more
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you located? Dw is usually caused by trackbar or steering component wear, even both..
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The JK's and JKU's don't have a death wobble. You have something else wrong. Sorry I know what you are reading BUT the wobble was in the TJ's. Yes, a stabilizer may help. But get your tires balanced with weights on the inside and outside of the wheel.
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK
The JK's and JKU's don't have a death wobble. You have something else wrong. Sorry I know what you are reading BUT the wobble was in the TJ's. Yes, a stabilizer may help. But get your tires balanced with weights on the inside and outside of the wheel.
Any vehicle with a solid axle and track bar can get death wobble, never heard of ifs getting it but I dk. Stabilizers only mask the problem temporarily. There is something wrong, the tires being out of balance my trigger the Dw, but usually is caused by a trackbar issue
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

How much is left on the loan?
Mine was always a mystery, tire balance would help but after I installed a different steering setup and a Clayton track bar it is gone. Even with out of balance tires now and sway bars disconnected it doesn't happen and I know that bump on the Grade. Take the right lane and leave off the gas right before you hit it.
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having really bad alignment can also be a cause
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
ayedsena
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have about 19,000 left on the loan. We just ordered tires and are getting them on and an alignment this week. We are also going to look into all the suggestions we got from this forum. It has been very helpful and frustrating at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastUnlmtd View Post
How much is left on the loan?
Mine was always a mystery, tire balance would help but after I installed a different steering setup and a Clayton track bar it is gone. Even with out of balance tires now and sway bars disconnected it doesn't happen and I know that bump on the Grade. Take the right lane and leave off the gas right before you hit it.
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anything yet?
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Death wobble will happen to any solid front axle vehicle with worn out components.

You drive a stretch of highway that is very well known for causing higher vehicle maintenance costs.

Start with the dry steering test to check for bad steering components, track bar, or control arms. Check for play in the ball joints and wheel bearings. Verify the wheel balance and alignment specification.

It's not a recall level issue, it's maintenance being neglected.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
ayedsena
2007 JK Wrangler 

So we got 2 new tires on the front, balanced and mounted, alignment, new brakes and rotors, and new ball joints. Took it for a ride where it usually does it and it is fixed. I am hoping for good
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
ayedsena
2007 JK Wrangler 

Also, does anyone know if a bad stabilizer shock could cause the death wobble? We are trying to get my mother in law's jeep figured out too.
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

on my tj i had horrible death wobble once i added suspension lift 2" even after balancing and alignment. many people say that a steering stabilizer doesnt do anything but i got a skyjacker hydro steering stabilizer and it drove perfect. about 6 months later i added 33x12.50 bfg km2 and 3.75 backspaced alloy wheels that had come straight from the warehouse to discount tire and it returned. took it to local guy that did my alignment who has had jeeps since CJs and jacked up my jeep and put it in 4wd 2nd/3rd gear idle and told me to watch my tires. 3/4 of them were out of round, meaning they would bounce, one of them up to 1/4 inch. they did eventually wear even after about a 1000 miles and got better but thats another thing that people with DW should look into even though $230 BFG tires should come as round as a marble.

also, discount tire said they would replace the tires free of charge if they did not round themselves out but to try it out first because there is no guarantee the others wont do the same.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.