Centralia Pa - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Centralia Pa

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So today the girlfriend and I took a trip up to Centralia from York, if you're not familiar with the place it's definitely worth looking up. I went up there with the intentions of just looking around and exploring the abandoned town but ended up wheeling all day on old mining trails. It was by far the best day of wheeling I've had. As far as I know, it's legal, there aren't any signs anywhere saying you can't. I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in meeting up and wheeling, exploring the town, etc. Let me know!

img_20130913_000347.jpg

img_20130912_222618.jpg

img_20130912_221355.jpg

Here is some footage from the day, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEla...e_gdata_player

Last edited by BigGrizzAE; 09-13-2013 at 08:13 PM..
BigGrizzAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
heezy101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was super disapointed when I went up there after the Topless for Tata's ride this year. I didn't see anything cool except for the graffiti highway. I was expecting to see gas coming out of the ground and whatnot, but I didn't find anything like that. I even asked a few other people exploring the town get directions. Nothing. I'm glad you had more fun out there than I did.
'98 TJ, Rough Country Long Arms, Curry HD steering with Redneck Ram Hydro assist, RE 4.5" Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 15x8 Procomp 1079, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, LOD Signature series rear bumper and tire carrier with lights, Super 35, 4.56's, Detroit TruTrack front, ARB rear, Viair Heavy Duty OBA
heezy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezy101 View Post
I was super disapointed when I went up there after the Topless for Tata's ride this year. I didn't see anything cool except for the graffiti highway. I was expecting to see gas coming out of the ground and whatnot, but I didn't find anything like that. I even asked a few other people exploring the town get directions. Nothing. I'm glad you had more fun out there than I did.
I went up there not expecting much, maybe that's why. There are so many trails just tucked away around there though. Definitely worth another shot if you're looking to do some wheeling man. If you wanna meet up we could do some exploring together sometime. Theres a lot more to that place than meets the eye.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
cdh5165
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd be down to do some exploring and some wheelin. Im about 2 hours away from there which isn't too bad
cdh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh5165 View Post
I'd be down to do some exploring and some wheelin. Im about 2 hours away from there which isn't too bad
I'm gonna head up there tomorrow around 8 so I'll be there around 10 or 11 if you wanna meet up!
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
cdh5165
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGrizzAE View Post
I'm gonna head up there tomorrow around 8 so I'll be there around 10 or 11 if you wanna meet up!
Unfortunately I have class tomorrow or I would. Earliest I could meet up would be friday
cdh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh5165 View Post

Unfortunately I have class tomorrow or I would. Earliest I could meet up would be friday
Me and another guy are going up again Sunday if you wanna join us
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
RegisteredUser

I did a ride from Trevorton to Centralia through the woods. It was a good time. There's a good place to stop and shoot right before you get there. If you want to see smoke coming out of the ground you have to go in the winter when it's cold. Otherwise it's just some cracks and paint.
RegisteredUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I did a ride from Trevorton to Centralia through the woods. It was a good time. There's a good place to stop and shoot right before you get there. If you want to see smoke coming out of the ground you have to go in the winter when it's cold. Otherwise it's just some cracks and paint.
Wow very cool, the trails go on forever so I can imagine. I see shotgun shells all over the place up there, I mean thousands of em. I did happen to see some smoke yesterday, it was off the the left when you come in from the south on the mining Hills.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

At the new offroad park in Shamokin, Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, very near there, you can see smoke coming out of the ground in certain places in the middle of summer. Ground is warmer also.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
At the new offroad park in Shamokin, Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area, very near there, you can see smoke coming out of the ground in certain places in the middle of summer. Ground is warmer also.
Never heard of the park? Nice Jeep trails??
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGrizzAE View Post
Never heard of the park? Nice Jeep trails??
Its brand new. May not be officially open yet, but they've been doing private rides there and had a couple Jamborees there. Its going to be very cool. Lots of good trails.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
BigGrizzAE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Its brand new. May not be officially open yet, but they've been doing private rides there and had a couple Jamborees there. Its going to be very cool. Lots of good trails.
Wish they had more places down or close to the York area. I'll definitely keep my eye out for that park though, thanks!
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
RegisteredUser

Every year they say that place is gonna open in the summer and it's been like 3 years now.
RegisteredUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Every year they say that place is gonna open in the summer and it's been like 3 years now.
Well, opening an offroad park on public land is not an easy thing around here. I believe they received their final approvals earlier this year and about a month or two ago they broke ground for some of the buildings. They've been doing private guided tours on the land and have run a Jeep Jamboree each of the last two years. They are absolutely making progress and we all owe the people behind it a big thank you given the scarcity of places like this in our area.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.