2 SUVs submerged in St. Clair Pa; charges pending - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > 2 SUVs submerged in St. Clair Pa; charges pending

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #16
Blue KJ in PA

Jezz, that was a total "Here's your sign" moment...what a "bunch o' moroons".

Blue KJ in PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastUnlmtd View Post
One good thing may come of this--the 15-20 trailers full of out-of-state quads that ride Gamelands trails illegally out of Frackville, every Saturday AM, parking behind Grannys might finally get noticed.

Had he gone over the edge closer to the breast of the damn that Jeep would have gone much deeper. They almost got back out, but probably hung up on rocks in that shallow end. In the pics they are pretty much on trail, close but no cigar. Stick to hiking that area once released from prison, it is worth the effort.
You seem to know quite a bit about this place. and even the under water obstruction's. Is there really a Trail that crosses that body of water? Serious , I am not being a arse, but If there is a trail I almost feel bad. It looks like there are many trails there. trails like that were not built over night by one person, Is that some what of a local hang out? for real. Were the Accused out of townie's that just did not know the depth of what you stated was a trail crossing. I have crossed Many of body of water on legal grounds. And guess that means trail are only legal when I have to Pay someone. Crap, don't get me started.
I know, Keep it legal or go home,
But please tell me more about this place. Honestly
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
You seem to know quite a bit about this place. and even the under water obstruction's. Is there really a Trail that crosses that body of water? Serious , I am not being a arse, but If there is a trail I almost feel bad. It looks like there are many trails there. trails like that were not built over night by one person, Is that some what of a local hang out? for real. Were the Accused out of townie's that just did not know the depth of what you stated was a trail crossing. I have crossed Many of body of water on legal grounds. And guess that means trail are only legal when I have to Pay someone. Crap, don't get me started.
I know, Keep it legal or go home,
But please tell me more about this place. Honestly
Yes there is a trail that crosses the spillway but an obstruction was placed on it several years ago. Right as you try to climb up a stone ramp onto the breast of the dam. It is mentioned in the story as causing the first Jeep to turn back. When he backed up it looks like he backed toward the deeper side not the spillway shallows. That is unless he backed right in to the real deep spots and his location in the photos is where the second Jeep yanked him to before conking out.

That is right many trails. None that should be ridden motorized unfortunately. They are still popular of course but mostly by schmucks or the occasional local hunter who has done so for decades. The Schuylkill County Municipal Authority owns that side of the Burma for the most part. Trails that you can see on a Google Map will be some smaller old stagecoach roads/cobblestone, logging trails, hunting access, power lines, watershed access, defunct rail lines and coal access. Even some nice old foot trails can be found. There is a way to look at who owns what at Schuylkill Parcel Locator

A local hang out? I don't know but it seems that traffic persists there for years despite Gamelands or Heritage Corridor status in a few areas. I gave up Jeep rides around local watersheds.

They had local addresses in the paper. Seems like they may have over-commited, got in a jam and actually did the right thing by dialing up for help. Maybe not as experienced at these type situations as some. Big mistake = consequences.

I am familiar with the trails from many years ago. Some would say the popularity of off-roading in our area has ruined it for locals over the years, I tend to agree. At the same time we have ready access to R Anth., Rausch and some unimproved roads that can still be had legally. The trailers of quads keep coming though and it is sure to persist.

That specific body of water is Wolf Creek Reservoir, fed by a pristine swamp above and hosting waterfalls below. There are many watersheds in the Anthracite Coal Region. Kind of like oasis's amongst the strip mines, waste piles, landfills, polluted waterways, power plants, windmills and prisons. This dam is one of the largest. If you look at an aerial you can see the height of dry side of the breast and picture the water side, just as deep and stone wall all the way down. Really nice spot.
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thank you taking the time to paint a better picture for me Sir.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here are shots of that obstacle that turned back the XJs, 10th to 16th pic:
Todays Ride
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
02jeepgrand

Yep and in some of the pictures you can see what looks to be NO TRESPASSING signs.
02jeepgrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
mikeb683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ya lets go wheeling on a dam... good plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.