JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Louisiana Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f351/)
-   -   Searchers 4wd (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f351/searchers-4wd-1504621/)

Rino71 04-05-2013 02:02 PM

Searchers 4wd

I dropped off my 71cj5 off at searchers in december to have a steering conversion put on due to lifting the jeep and it took them till the end of February to get back with me with the cost to fix it, I asked them how long it would take to fix after I paid for the parts and was told it would take 2 to 3 days to get the parts in and 2 to 3 days to get it done once parts were in, that was feb 28, every time I call the say they are starting on it that day, I don't want to bug these guys but its april and I dropped it off in december, is this normal?????

Cajun90YJ 04-06-2013 07:11 AM

sounds like they are putting it and you off or did not order the parts, or who knows but that seems like a long time for a P/S swap.

dadstoy 04-06-2013 12:15 PM

Call Phillip or Mark, who ever answers and ask them. Remind them they have had it since December. Maybe he is busy putting his buggy back together.....

dayriesw 04-08-2013 08:26 AM

That is not right at all. They have been really bad recently. I also asked for a quote on a new cage cage and it took over a month of calling and I still never got the quote. I gave up. Call them or go by and remind them this is your jeep and you have been without it for almost 5 months. That is ridiculous.

booked101 04-08-2013 09:29 PM

i'd be pissed. def go by and get an answer. thats 4 months to long.

Rino71 04-09-2013 03:26 PM

Well I picked up my jeep from searchers yesterday and some of the parts that they told me they needed to fix it I paid for, well when I looked at it I noticed they didn't use some of the parts I paid for like the tie rods and clearly said that's what needed to be fixed but they said it drove just fine and refunded some of my money, all they did was fabricate a bracket that lowered the bell crank and from the looks of it, it prob only took an hour to do, well I barely mad it home, they didn't fix anything, I couldn't go faster than 20 mph, I was all over the damn road, they had my jeep for five months and its not fixed, I'm so pissed, they never answer the phone, I paid $700.00 for them to weld a bracket, kind of feel like I got screwed , what do I do, take the loss or let them take it back and keep it for another five months, I will never recommend them or ever use there services again, I'll never forget the excuse the owner told me for it taking so long"that's the life of a jeep owner"

dayriesw 04-09-2013 06:05 PM

That really sucks. I would go back tomorrow and ask them to go for a ride. After they agree something need to be fixed still, ask for your money back or leave it with them again but get a finish date in writing or something with a guarantee. Those are your only two options or live with it, which I dont think I could do.

I went thru something similar at a transmission shop in Alexandria. My x case was leaking and they replaced seals... Still leaking, brought it back. They did something but was still leaking. Gave them one more shot and they said they replaced seals after pulling the case and it still leaked. Went bad to them and after a lot of words, I received a full refund after loosing 6 weeks.

Good luck.

lifenajeep 06-02-2013 09:54 AM

It's funny how it's always the shops problem. Yes it took a long time because this was something that was not common and the "conversion" was a huge cluster of parts that wouldn't work together even in the best situation and would have cost about 5 times what was charged in parts and labor. People complain about the price but don't see the hours we spend tracking down parts and talking with other technical people all over the country trying to get the absolute best solution and this is time that we DON'T charge for. The $700 you were charged was for a lot more than just welding a bracket (don't forget about the hours it took to actually remove and repair all the steering components including rebuilding your bellcrank), Please remember to add all the parts of this story not just the ones that make you look like an innocent child being taken advantage of. This is a 40+ year old Jeep that you want to drive like a JK, get real. In the end, we ended up custom fabricating a great solution, losing out on hundreds of dollars in time spent researching all the other solutions you wanted to try, saving you tons of money that would have been wasted on a conversion that still wasn't going to make it drive much better. Besides, if it drove as bad a as you say and you couldn't get over 20mph then why didn't you bring it back. Maybe it's not as bad as you want everyone to believe.

I don't mind criticism, but be truthful.

booked101 07-19-2013 01:21 PM

Get on louisianaoffroad.com and look for forged off-road. He's on the northshore and does great work.

KoreanKrusher 07-31-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booked101 (Post 15695771)
Get on louisianaoffroad.com and look for forged off-road. He's on the northshore and does great work.

Look for Woody, great guy, helped me get home one time on a Sunday evening.

I have a Searchers story that is very similar to OP, but don't feel the need to bash them, I have gotten over it. Hear great things about them, then hear not so good things about them.:cheers:

DMB 12-05-2013 07:48 PM

Used them (Searchers), liked them, will use them again.

The time now is 10:40 PM.