Any good wheellin close to Little Rock? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Arkansas Jeep Forum > Any good wheellin close to Little Rock?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Any good wheellin close to Little Rock?

Live just north of Little Rock and am wondering if there's any legal places to wheel around here. I've headed up to superlift in hot springs a few times but it gets expensive. Anywhere closer would be awesome.

cjsanford8623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Theres the Ozark National Forest.
The unmantained roads are a little harder to find there, but they're there.
I get my CJ lined out I'll take you up there sometime.
I typically explore the Forest on a dual sport bike but the CJ will make a nice
change.
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good to me! just pm me when you want to get a trip set up. Im free most weekends and some weekdays if I know in advance.
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Ouachita National Forest is closer than Ozark. Head out highway 10 west for about 20 minutes and you are there. Some great jeep riding around Lake Winona and Lake Sylvia and west from there. Get yourself an Arkansas Gazetteer that shows all the forest boundaries and roads. Also, check the Ouachita forest website as not all roads are open to jeeps and atvs, etc anymore.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The Ozarks is larger and has more roads and trails to explore if you know where to start looking.
The Rangers in the Ozarks are easier to deal with too. IMHO.
Both are great.
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
ItCantBeStephen
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I ride around in the Ouachitas pretty frequently. Best way to get there is straight west on Hwy 10 then hang a right at William's Junction onto Hwy 9 and you'll see the entrance for the Lake Winona WMA on the right. From there just drive around and see what you can find. Most of the roads around this area are maintained pretty well, but there are some nice trails if you look around. There are quite a few unmaintained/poorly maintained trails past the Lake Winona spillway.

If you have a GPS bring that so you can keep track of where you're at, some of the roads are actually listed in my Garmin. It's easy to get lost and find yourself a long way away from where you entered. I was riding around in my Yukon once for hours and ended up popping out of the forest onto a highway just north of Jessieville, haha.

Flatside Wilderness area isn't far from Winona (about 15min by the dirt roads from the entrance to the Winona WMA) and just past Flatside Pinnacle going towards Forked Mtn. are a bunch of logging clear cuts with trails you can drive on (and some nice views). Not sure exactly how legal it is to drive on these clearcut trails, but most of them aren't posted and there's never anyone out there, at least on the weekends anyway.

Figure a few pics I've snapped over the years out there couldn't hurt...

Couldn't resist posting up one with my Yukon in it :P

I don't make it out there as often as I used to because of work, but it's only about 35-40 minutes west of LR.
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

As I recall after you get to Williams Jct, turn left (south) on 9 to head toward Lake Winona and right (north) to head toward Lake Sylvia. Both lakes are in the same area. That entire area you mention is nice. Doing anything but hiking inside the flatside wilderness boundary is illegal. The clearcuts you mention I'm sure are outside the boundary because a wilderness area is set aside to preserve the land and trees as they originally were. Always check a map for the boundaries before riding.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
ItCantBeStephen
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcreekfarms View Post
As I recall after you get to Williams Jct, turn left (south) on 9 to head toward Lake Winona and right (north) to head toward Lake Sylvia. Both lakes are in the same area. That entire area you mention is nice. Doing anything but hiking inside the flatside wilderness boundary is illegal. The clearcuts you mention I'm sure are outside the boundary because a wilderness area is set aside to preserve the land and trees as they originally were. Always check a map for the boundaries before riding.
Yeah, you really aren't supposed to go bombing out through the woods anywhere in the forest, but I guess it's more strictly reinforced in Flatside. The clearcuts are probably 3 or 4 miles past Flatside Pinnacle though in the big valley with Forked Mtn.
Unread 08-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

I'm in Jacksonville. I'd be down to go down some trails with anyone willing to go with. I have a stock '11 Grand Cherokee 4x4 so nothing too sketchy lol
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mbatChris
I'm in Jacksonville. I'd be down to go down some trails with anyone willing to go with. I have a stock '11 Grand Cherokee 4x4 so nothing too sketchy lol
I've been told there's a couple places kind of close, I go up hot springs quite a bit but it gets expensive. I'll try and find out where and post it.
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

http://goo.gl/maps/0gehR
I'm not going to give you turn by turn directions.
Our Ozark National Forest has all the wheeling you could want if you know where to look.
At each one of the points here except E is a trail head.
Expect mud holes, atv type trails that was typically wide enough.
There is a road/trail up the side of the mountain that connects the last two points.
H. turn north into the ditch and follow down to creek. From there turn north.
There is an old Wagon Trail road there that goes into the Forest.

Stop in Hector at the Forest Office and buy a $9 map of the Ozark National
Forest and start exploring.
I do all of this typically on a big Dual Sport bike, but I had an XJ and CJ.
Just money is tight right now and the CJ is mostly ready except it needs
a windshield and wiper arms before I am ready to drive it. A winch would
be nice too. But all in good time.

Traveling around Brock Creek Lake on the map is an ATV area and north of the lake a mile or two keep looking to the right and you will find an old jeep trail that connects to other road up there.
Unread 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
C0mbatChris
2011 WK 

Awesome info. I'll check it out for sure! Thanks!!
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Upgraded to 430N RHB MyGig }{ 3.6L V6 Laredo X }{ Off-Road Adventure I }{ Trail Rated }{ QTII }{ Selec-Terrain }{ OEM Skid Plate Group }{ Flex Fuel[/FONT][/CENTER][/COLOR]
C0mbatChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! We're gonna go exploring up there today of Anyone is interested!
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone make it up there today or back?!?
If you have serious issues with the map I can toss together a few gps waypoints.
Another good way to find some of those trails is the old USGS Topo maps.
They always add stuff but never delete anything and its been 30 years since
they was last updated but you'd be surprised how many of the Jeep Trails are
still there mostly cause of bikes and ATV's.
Then there is literally 1000's of roads/trails that are not on the Forest maps
but are in the Forest db of roads. They have it on a google earth overlay.
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
cjsanford8623
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey we are gonna try to find some of these trails, if y'all wanna head up there give me a call. 501-837-6596 my name is Caleb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.