TX info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > TX info

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

TX info

I have the opportunity to move from Southern California, about an hour away from LA to Waco to go to Baylor. School will be paid for as will rent. I'd have to pay half of electric and food and I'd be living with my girlfriend in a house with our 4 dogs. (20 60lb, one 90 lb and one 5lb).

I was wondering what the job market is like and what there is to do there as we don't know anyone close. I have family friends in Tyler but I can't imagine id be making it up there very often, or at all really.

Also if you were in the same boat, what would you do?

I'm still living at home with my mom because school is only 40 min away from me currently. I do a fair bit of repairs. Water pipes, misc house stuff and I work on the MJ she drives. As a bit of a background.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. Bueller? Bueller?

Unread 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
lp967
1981 CJ8 

Waco is a nice town. I have never lived there but I have visited quite a bit. My wife graduated from Baylor so I visited her a lot when we were dating. I live in the Dallas area. There wasn't a whole lot to do there but you are right in between the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex and Austin where there is plenty to do. There are good mountain biking trails around there and places to wheel close enough to make a daytrip out of it. I hear that Waco has really grown since the last time I was down there so there might be a lot more to do. Plus Baylor is a great school and they are building a pretty awesome new Football stadium.

Good luck in your decision!
lp967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I didn't expect there to be a whole crap ton to do. Like I said I'm only an hour away from LA and all of that crap and I hardly go down there. More of a "what to expect kinda deal". Thank you for the info.

DFW area is pretty nice. Too busy for me though. Lol. Never been to Austin though. Does anyone have any info on vehicle codes there? My YJ is stock and passes CA emissions but I'd like to change the first thing eventually.

Unread 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
lp967
1981 CJ8 

Texas is pretty lax when it comes to vehicle modifications. I usually trailer my Jeep to the trails but when I do drive it on the street I don't get bothered much. Much easier on emissions for sure.

I have a few friends at work who moved here from California and they can't stop talking about how much cheaper the cost of living is here in Texas compared to Cali.
lp967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I spent a week out there in December and the cost of living was evident quickly lol. That's a big plus.

Unread 01-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

First off, Waco doesn't really have a lot to do. There's a zoo which is pretty cool, and the Dr Pepper Museum (learn to love Dr Pepper if you haven't already) but that's about it. Austin's about an hour and a half away, give or take, and Dallas is an hour and a half in good traffic, and there's a lot more to do in either of those cities. (Nothing in Texas is measured in miles, as there are too many miles and not enough consensus on speed limits)

Waco is the seat of McLennan County, which is one of the 237 counties in Texas that do not require emissions testing. This means your YJ is automatically exempt from emissions. However, your YJ is also a 1988, which means it's automatically statewide exempt from emissions testing. (Texas statutes provide that cars older than 25 are exempt) There is a statewide muffler law, however, so bear it in mind. You also must be in full compliance with Texas safety codes, including seatbelts, working lights, and brakes sufficient to stop the vehicle from 20mph within 30 feet. There are no laws regarding lifts, tires, or bumpers in Texas. LiftLaws.con has a comprehensive list of what to expect as far as MV statutes.

Gas is significantly cheaper in Texas than California. You'll find it easier to justify making trips. Dallas has a lot to do, and Waco isn't horribly far from the state-favorite wheeling spot: Hidden Falls. (I say that, and of course it's fully 120 miles away, but that's not that far in Texas. D/FW alone is 70 miles across) Also, if you're left-leaning, Austin's a pretty neat place. I know the state gets a lot of stigma for being a very right-wing republican place, but I'd say there's good representation of both major party affiliations, and an inherent diversity to the population's ideals and political beliefs. Of course if you are right-leaning, maybe stay out of some of the more hipster areas of Austin. Especially during the frequent music festivals.

Finally, you owe it to yourself to participate in Oktoberfest in the German areas of Texas near Austin. Es ist eine große Zeit! (Mein Deutsche ist schlecht, verzeihen Sie)

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again guys. Ill have to read up on the requirements as we dont have inspections like that here. It'll stop fine I know but I have suspension seats and harnesses, my brights work but you can't turn them on with the switch on the column and my horn doesnt work. Haha. Little things that never matter here. How long do you think I could get away with keeping my CA plates?

I don't drink soda but I know waco is big on dr pepper. Baylor has a dr. Pepper hour every week where you get floats and hangout.

Unread 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The horn is required to work, and if you have fog lights or driving lights, they're required to turn off when the high beams are activated.

You can use CA plates until your registration expires. Registering the car in Texas requires Texas plates- there is no additional fee assessed for the first set of license plates. Texas registration stickers go in the windshield, along with the safety inspection sticker, rather than on the license plate.

Unread 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know if a button on the dash will suffice for the horn? Is inspection every two years?

Unread 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Do you know if a button on the dash will suffice for the horn? Is inspection every two years?
No idea. Consult a state inspector.

Inspection is required to be renewed every year. And it focuses primarily on the function of the vehicle's safety equipment and roadworthiness, with a secondary focus on emissions. (Or none at all in non-emissions counties)

It's a far cry from what you're used to in backward California, where safety can dick itself off, but if you produce a hydrocarbon your car is liable to be crushed.

Unread 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay. I'll see what I can dig up.

You wouldn't believe some of the cars running around down here. Horrible things. Haha.

I really appreciate the help. The last thing id want to do is get out there and not be able to drive the damn thing.

Unread 02-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #13
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Yes sir a button works perfect!! I have one on the YJ now haha!! Easier to fix then the wheel button. Don't sweat inspection. I live in the non exempt county and it's easy. If you pass CA then texas shouldn't be bad. My brother just got done with college in Waco. He loved it but he wasn't the Austin party every night guy but he isn't the go home every night and do nothing guy either. I love living here. Only thing for me is I'm an hr south of Houston right on the coast and there isn't many parks down my way. Where your wanting to go though it's perfect.

Edit: I also wanted to tell you that 95% of the people that live here are very polite and would help a stranger with nothing wanted in return. I have been to some of the northern states and the majority of people were rude and flat out A holes.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well CA doesn't have inspection at all. Just emissions testing. I'm not worried about emissions at all. Just inspection. My jeep is safe but I'm worried the little things like the horn button and brights will fail me.

I'm more of a stay at home guy. I just didn't want to get out there and have no options. Then I'd want to go out all the time lol. I understand there is always something to do in a city but maybe there was something cool that Waco had haha.

Unread 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
debord97
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Odd that a state that is so worried about what you breathe in but doesn't care that the vehicle is actually safe to drive on the roads.
debord97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.