TJ Rubicon Axle(s) - Near Austin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > TJ Rubicon Axle(s) - Near Austin

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Rubicon Axle(s) - Near Austin

Okay so I sold off my 2 door 2012 Rubicon and am looking to buy (or maybe just upgrade factory) new axles for my 2000 Wrangler. Currently its the factory Dana 30/35c with 4.10 gears and some Dynatrac Pro Series diff covers (open diffs).

I'm thinking about upgrading the front D30 with a 27 spline chromoly or 27 spline CV and a Detroit locker with 4.88 gears.

OR

I am looking to find at least a rear Dana 44 out of a TJ Rubicon complete with the factory air locker. Ideally I would like to find the front/rear Dana 44's with the air lockers in them (or even just the housings if thats all I can get ahold of).

I really only want the 44 out of another Wrangler so it is the proper width and will have my current wheels/tires bolt up without any spacer/adapter.

If anyone knows where I might be able to find some TJ Rubicon axles, please let me know. I've looked around on craigslist and whatnot and haven't had any luck. Only 44s I've found have been from everything besides a Jeep (minus one rear JK 44, but I don't want to swap JK 44's in) which would be too wide and I don't want to have to mess with shortening the axles.

Besides the TJ Rubicon 44's, what other axles of similar strength will be the proper width and easily adapted to my 2000 Wrangler? I currently wheel my Jeep with 33x12.5s and haven't had any issues, I think I got one of the good D35c's. I also don't spin my tires when crawling at Hidden Falls through any of the 3-4 trails (its made it through Midnight Run a few times) and if I do get wheel spin, I back off and try again until I make it through with minimal strain on the drivetrain. Id like to get to the point where I can be a little more aggressive with my Wrangler and be able to at least put a TrueTrac in the 35 and a Detroit Locker in the 30 (upgraded axles in both), a Detroit Locker in the 30 and swap a 44 in the rear with a TrueTrac, or swap both front/rear TJ Rubi 44's with selectable air lockers.

Thanks,
Kyle

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Garand View Post
snip
Besides the TJ Rubicon 44's, what other axles of similar strength will be the proper width and easily adapted to my 2000 Wrangler?
snip
Kyle, the Ford 8.8 is a pretty common swap, but can get pretty expensive, and welding is required, of course. I'm in the process of doing one for my YJ. My build thread is below, (although the pictures won't show up until Sept 1st because I'm over my Photobucket monthly limit)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...xtras-1565339/

You're welcome to come over and see the 8.8, talk about the swap details, etc, if you want to consider an 8.8. I know your TJ is different, but the swap process is similar.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'd really rather have the 44's out of a TJ Rubicon if I can find them. If not, I will probably just throw some upgraded axles in the D35 along with a truetrac and just wheel it carefully like I already do when hitting the level 3 and 4 trails out at Hidden Falls.

Once I get some money from selling a property I will probably order a DynaTrac ProRock 44 for the rear (again a TrueTrac, with 4.88 gears) and put a Detroit locker in the D30 along with 4.88 gears and some CV axles... assuming I can't find a pair of 44s from a rubi.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
wicked_wench
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Kyle,
I saw this on Craigslist today.
http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/4035981073.html
wicked_wench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.