Solo trip to big bend ranch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Solo trip to big bend ranch?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Solo trip to big bend ranch?

Would you advise against a solo trip to big bend ranch? I know the trails aren't super hard but they are really remote. Sometimes I like to strike out, just me and the dog. I have a jku with 32's, no lift just a leveling kit.

Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
nitromud
2003 WJ 

The general rule for wheeling is never go alone. But, I would say with good and careful planning, you should be fine. I went by my self wheeling in Colorado this past July, but I spent at least a month planning it out. So, plan well and go conservative on what you plan on doing and you should be fine.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I go down there a couple times a year to a family ranch just north of Big Bend so I know just how remote that place is. At the very least take one of those SPOT gps transponder things so if you get in trouble someone will know, there is no cell service most places out there and very few people on the roads at any given time. I will also say that most of the road/trails are fine for you but they can change over night if there is any rain, one morning the road will be there then in the afternoon it will be a 20' drop. Just take it easy and be aware, if you have a winch then take a pull pal, there are no trees out there to winch from. The mud can be VERY deceiving and either be solid rock underneath or pure quicksand.

HEre are some pics of us riding our ATV's out there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2162644...7603928790383/

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
gsmith777
2012 JK Wrangler 

One of the best parts of having a jeep is being part of the community. I'd say you will most likely be fine if you go alone. However you'll take some of the fun out of it by not taking a few more rigs with you. Just my opinion
gsmith777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We did it solo this spring on a stock Islander with no issues. One small obstacle and some off-camber stuff on some of the more difficult trails (Black Gap Road), but if you take it easy there's nothing you can't handle.

Definitely recommend it!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All I have to say it be DAMN careful and watchful for tire hazards. Stay on the road/trails. Everything out there had thorns so bring fix a flat, plugs, air compressor at a minimum. If/when you go down there take north county road to "top of the world", it's a fantastic place and a great drive going there. If you want I can get coordinates for it and PM you.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the imput. I may try to get a few guys together. Sometimes I just wanna pick up and go and not coordinate everyone's schedules and family situations. I've thought about the SPOT GPS and taking two spares. The air compressor is a good idea.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
dmb2002man
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I will be taking a trip to big bend soon and friends will be riding with me. I have a 2006, 6 speed, 4.0 with 31x1050s. Full size spare as well.
dmb2002man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
Would you advise against a solo trip to big bend ranch? I know the trails aren't super hard but they are really remote. Sometimes I like to strike out, just me and the dog. I have a jku with 32's, no lift just a leveling kit.
I note that your question ref "Ranch". Big Bend Natl park, or Big Bend Ranch State Park ??

Going by yourself in the Natl Park is a little different in that you are more likely to see, or have someone to come by to help you if you have a problem.

BB Ranch State Park has a lot less offroad traffic, so traveling solo might not be a good idea.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking the state park but ill look into the national. I noticed the state park said no dog in the backcountry and the national looks like they can go just need to stay in the car.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

The National Park is closed as of today:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/...rticle_sidebar
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/travel...ational-parks/
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.