Recommend a good tire shop that can balance oversized tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Recommend a good tire shop that can balance oversized tires?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Eric90xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Recommend a good tire shop that can balance oversized tires?

I've been having a hard time finding a shop that can properly balance my 35 inches Goodyear MTRs. Can anyone recommend a good tire shop in the Austin/Round Rock area?

Eric90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I never have had any luck getting my tires balanced anywhere... luckily I was a tire tech for a couple years before switching over to turning wrenches so I am pretty good at balancing mud tires/large wheels. The master mechanic that was my shop foreman where I used to work as a mechanic is now a manager/service writer over at JC Automotive in Round Rock (good shop, very honest and don't sell you stuff your vehicle doesn't need) so whenever I need my tires rebalanced, I get the opportunity to balance them myself and get them perfect.

Side note: You can zero out some mud tires and they will still vibrate a little because they will have a 'hop' to them. The only thing you can try to do at that point is rotate the tire 180* on the wheel from the side where the hop is at (where all the weight is on the wheel). Also you will generally have better luck static balancing the mud tires, so if someones trying to throw weights on the inside/outside of the wheel they are just wasting their time and making your wheel ugly with a weight slapped on the exterior.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
BRAINBUCKET38
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good info M1Garand. It's been my experience that balancing extreme mud grip tires is pointless as they never stay balanced.
BRAINBUCKET38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The 33x12.5r15 ProComp Xterrains on my TJ stay perfectly balanced until I go rock crawling with them aired down at 12psi. When you have them aired down and rock crawling, you have a small chance of being able to spin the tire a little bit on the wheel which ends up putting it slightly out of balance. After half a dozen times off-road rock crawling I noticed my tires were starting to vibrate a little at 55-70mph, so I went to re-balance them. They ended up being about .25-.50 oz out which isn't that bad at all.

If you never air your tires down really low or do any hard core rock crawling your tires should never come out of balance (assuming they were properly balanced the first time, its very difficult for 95% of the people that work at tire shops to balance 33"+ tires properly. You usually only will have good luck getting it done the right way by having somewhere like 4WheelParts balance them).

Make sure you also rotate/cross rotate your tires, keep the air pressure constantly at the right psi and keep your alignment in order (along with keeping your suspension up to par, bad shocks will kill your tires).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.