Possible 1st Jeep Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Possible 1st Jeep Purchase

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Student4Life

Possible 1st Jeep Purchase

Hello everyone! I am thinking about becoming a newbie to the Jeep community... So go easy on me when I start to ask stupid questions…

So I am thinking about purchasing my 1st jeep. I really like the look of a jeep. Maybe it’s the ideal of being able to take the doors off! LOL!

Most of the time spent will be riding around Houston. However, it will not be my primary daily driver. And from time to time I would like to take a date out in it so having a nice interior would be a big plus...

I would like to do some camping with it as well as do some remote car camping at Big Bend one day (http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/p...4501_0152k.pdf. ).

At this time, I don’t not believe I will be doing any rock crawling activities with the Jeep.

I was looking at a used Jeep Unlimited. I don’t need the Rubicon package since I don’t see myself doing any major rock crawling activities…

I was thinking about renting a jeep from somewhere for a day or two in order to see what the ride might be like and would it be something I would like…

Anyway if you have any HELPFUL advice or HELPFUL tips for a Houston guy who is thinking about purchasing his 1st Jeep, I am all ears!

Thanks!

Student4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's a good choice and I do wish I had gotten one. If your planning on lifting it I would not take dates out in it (unless they are jeep girls or like lifted vehicles). It's not classy for a girl to have to climb into a vehicle in a dress and many don't appreciate having to do that. You mentioned you want an unlimited, is that a JK unlimited or LJ unlimited? I would recommend (if you like the look) the JK Sport Unlimited (4 door). It has more interior room and a nice ride stock. Also the interior is nicer in terms of gadgets to a LJ. If you are looking at the 4 door version make sure it has the 3.6L not the 3.8L that the earlier ones had. From what I've heard the 3.8L is a minivan engine that just sucks.

I've been to Big Bend National Park (BBNP) many many times and it's a beautiful place. There are no real Jeep trails like other states have in BBNP but there are unpaved roads to some back country camping grounds. There is an east and west jeep road in BBNP but depending on the time of year it'll be closed due to rain and flooding.

There's not a very active group of people in Houston that are on this forum that I've seen but there are a number of Jeep clubs in Houston. Do a search on Facebook and Google and you'll find some other places too. Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions you have. If I don't know the answer I know someone who likely will know and can point you to them. Good luck on your search and be sure to post pictures of the Jeep when/if you get one.
Unread 05-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Student4Life

Thanks 97Heep for the advice! I am going for a JK unlimited since I don't want to get anything over 2 years old. Good point about not lifting it if I am planning to use it for dates... However I may lift it a little....

I was wondering how active this forum was! Thanks for the heads up! I will see about posting in other forums...
Student4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
97Heep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

JeepForum in general is pretty active but mostly in the technical areas. For the JK's I think all they need is 2" of lift to run 35's. I wouldn't lift more than 4".
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
MB_Pathfinder
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Heep
JeepForum in general is pretty active but mostly in the technical areas. For the JK's I think all they need is 2" of lift to run 35's. I wouldn't lift more than 4".
I'm not entirely sure, but you might need to go with flat fenders to run 35s on a 2" lift on a JK. I'm planning on a 3" lift with 35s on my 2014 Unlimited (plus a re-gear to 4.56). With my flat Bushwackers, I should be able to go up to 37s without anything else if I ever need to.
MB_Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.