Padre Island National Seashore question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Padre Island National Seashore question

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
agentsmith23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Padre Island National Seashore question

I'm planning trip to PINS June 1st and 2nd and just wanted to know is it possible to travel the entire 60 miles in a day and a half? We will be getting there around 5-6PM on the 1st and want to be leaving around 4-5PM on the 2nd. This is going to be my first time there and i don't want to just fly up and down the beach.

Thanks for any possible info.

agentsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Looking at a minimum of four hours to get to the end of it if all conditions are good 15-20 mph is the limit out there. I would try your best to get there a little earlier so you have some daylight to work with
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
agentsmith23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks, I will be there all day on the 2nd so it shouldn't be an issue.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
codybear57
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When me and the guys go down, usually I leave at like 6:00 am from San Antonio-south side.. get there like around 9:00.. hit the HEB for shrimp, ice, and cold beer, bev, and whtvr we might need and haven't got yet..there is ice machine in parking lot.. then we head to the last gas station on right to fill up with fuel.. get to the park by usually 10:30-45, say U get there at 11:00-- depending on the conditions of the driving and the grass.. your looking at anywhere from 3 hours to 4 1/2.. I have made it in 2.1/4 been the best and 5 hours being the worse of course.. the conditions have been good lately, so I would think it's only probaly 3 1/2 hour trip..if it's good and you don't stop a lot...
my last trip took 3.45 hours to run all the way down, we stop a few quick peee' stops tho''

PINS report phone line to call and get an idea of conditions and weather etc.... 361-949-8175
good luck.............
codybear57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
agentsmith23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Once at the far end do you just turn around and head back up the beach or is there an exit at the other end? And any restrooms/porta-pottys on the beach? The wife has a small bladder and my in-laws may be along for the ride.
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
jmmorgan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith23
Once at the far end do you just turn around and head back up the beach or is there an exit at the other end? And any restrooms/porta-pottys on the beach? The wife has a small bladder and my in-laws may be along for the ride.
There is nothing past the visitors center and yes you turn around and drive back. Bring a chem toilet if you're worried about it.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
codybear57
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's 59 miles.. 4 hours basically.. and with alot of people in the car or cramped or not having what you need to do things it sux...to say the least.. you should probaly just go down 10 miles and enjoy.. you still be close to the park................
codybear57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
jmmorgan82

Are you planning on camping out there? I might be heading down there next Friday to try to catch some fish.
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
agentsmith23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah. Not going to be fishing though.
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
jmmorgan82

We are headed to Port A tomorrow and will be running Big Shell on Tuesday. If anyone is gonna be down there let me know. jmmorgan82@gmail.com.
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
jmmorgan82

Had a good trip but only was able to go about 18 miles down because the GF got a little nauseous from the bumpy ride. I was able to run through Yarborough Pass, but take my advice and don't waste your time as there is nothing on the other side other than dead fish and crabs, and a very nasty smell. It would be a good kayak launch but that's about it. If you guys plan on running the whole thing, I might just meet up with you if that would be OK.

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
agentsmith23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt mind but the wife wants it to be just the 2 of us. Hoping to run the whole thing, we will see.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be down in Port Aransas this summer, and will likely make this trip. jmmorgan82, did you go through Yarborough Pass or stay down on the beach? Sounds like a neat off road drive through the Pass?

From the PINS webpage:

"Yarborough Pass:
To find Yarborough Pass, drive to the 15-mile marker on South Beach and backtrack about 100 yards. Access to this area is only possible through a 4-wheel drive access road from South Beach and by boating in from the Laguna Madre. Be aware that the access road from South Beach, which goes over the dunes, may have exceptionally deep and soft sand in which even 4-wheel drive vehicles get stuck. Flooded areas may be deep, as well. Please call the beach conditions hotline, which is updated daily, at (361)949-8175 for current weather and driving conditions. Camping at Yarborough Pass is free with your park entrance pass, but a free permit is required (available at the entrance to South Beach)."
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just got back from a trip down to the PINS. Went down about 16 miles, and went through the Y Pass. We enjoyed the bay area at the far end of the pass, and had lunch at some picnic tables there. May try to get an earlier start and go further on the next trip down there.

Unread 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
nitromud
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF
I just got back from a trip down to the PINS. Went down about 16 miles, and went through the Y Pass. We enjoyed the bay area at the far end of the pass, and had lunch at some picnic tables there. May try to get an earlier start and go further on the next trip down there.
We just got back from that area. We were in Part Aransas and ran from the port as far south as it would go. We left today and the waves were getting pretty big washing up onto the drive and washing away tents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.