North Texas grands - Page 11 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 692 Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
pincheburro956
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
Well put. I'm pretty fresh here as well, only been here just over a year. What brings you to town and when's the Jeep coming?
Hail Storm brought me here...Got a fam roofing co... The jeep should be here hopefully in the next 30-40 days.. She is 98% ready to go wheeling...Once im up here im gonna ask you to show me some descent traisl...you know, shes never been rock crawling or anything of that type...down in south texas we only have mud pits and sand dunes...thats about it...
WE DONT HAVE A USE FOR WINCHES DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 692 Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincheburro956

Hail Storm brought me here...Got a fam roofing co... The jeep should be here hopefully in the next 30-40 days.. She is 98% ready to go wheeling...Once im up here im gonna ask you to show me some descent traisl...you know, shes never been rock crawling or anything of that type...down in south texas we only have mud pits and sand dunes...thats about it...
WE DONT HAVE A USE FOR WINCHES DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive. I've never wheeled with another zj, and look forward to it

'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeansWings is offline  
post #153 of 692 Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Also, all of dfw is private property. The only good legal wheeling is at ohv parks, the closest two are each an hour way.

'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeansWings is offline  
post #154 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 AM
kristi5683
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth , TX
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Also, all of dfw is private property. The only good legal wheeling is at ohv parks, the closest two are each an hour way.
which are you referring to? I think there is one in Bridgeport...not sure though. I just came into town earlier today and am here for a week... Im thinking about taking the jeep out somewhere this weekend if anyone wants to join
kristi5683 is offline  
post #155 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 AM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi5683

which are you referring to? I think there is one in Bridgeport...not sure though. I just came into town earlier today and am here for a week... Im thinking about taking the jeep out somewhere this weekend if anyone wants to join
Yes Bridgeport is one, and the rock trails of Tolar is another about an hour southwest

'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeansWings is offline  
post #156 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
pincheburro956
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
Yes Bridgeport is one, and the rock trails of Tolar is another about an hour southwest
question, will I be able to "HANG" with you on the trail...im on short arms, no quick discos, no lockers, just a 3.5 lift and some 32 mt's...

i guess we will find out in the near future. looking forward to my "rock crawling cherry pop"

"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline  
post #157 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
MGDWJ
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 1,018
In my opinion a lot of it is the driver. Pick a good line if you have to stack a couple rocks, and every now and then you have to hit it with a little momentum. If the jeep starts to hop then get off the gas and try a little different line. Hopping/bouncing= broke parts. I wheeled my wj on 32's for a long time and kept up with several locked tj's on 33's. In my jk its on 35's and I have kept up all weekend with locked rigs on 35-37's. From time to time you will need to do a power brake to send power from the spinning wheel to the wheels with traction. Be careful not to apply to much brakes because you can break axle shafts when power braking to much.
what load range are your tires?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MGDWJ is offline  
post #158 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
pincheburro956
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDWJ View Post
In my opinion a lot of it is the driver. Pick a good line if you have to stack a couple rocks, and every now and then you have to hit it with a little momentum. If the jeep starts to hop then get off the gas and try a little different line. Hopping/bouncing= broke parts. I wheeled my wj on 32's for a long time and kept up with several locked tj's on 33's. In my jk its on 35's and I have kept up all weekend with locked rigs on 35-37's. From time to time you will need to do a power brake to send power from the spinning wheel to the wheels with traction. Be careful not to apply to much brakes because you can break axle shafts when power braking to much.
what load range are your tires?
sweet. thanks....kinda like our south texas mdding.
you could have the biggestm baddest truck, and get stuck before the guy in the suzuki with 30's....

thanks for the advice, hope to use it here soon.

"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline  
post #159 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincheburro956 View Post
question, will I be able to "HANG" with you on the trail...im on short arms, no quick discos, no lockers, just a 3.5 lift and some 32 mt's...

i guess we will find out in the near future. looking forward to my "rock crawling cherry pop"
You'll be fine. Like MGD says it requires equal parts skill and gear. I'm open diff as well, but the long arms definitely help. There's always multiple options over any obstacle, and once you get used to double footing the brake and gas (aids in traction like MGD says and also prevents you from shooting into rocks once you find it) and really getting a feel for your rig, you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDWJ View Post
If the jeep starts to hop then get off the gas and try a little different line. Hopping/bouncing= broke parts.
x1000000000


at 35 seconds you can hear my rear spider gears explode, and my passenger rear tire seizes. I wasn't hopping there, but I was on the line I was on before (have it on video as well but it's long and boring)

'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeansWings is offline  
post #160 of 692 Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM
pincheburro956
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings

You'll be fine. Like MGD says it requires equal parts skill and gear. I'm open diff as well, but the long arms definitely help. There's always multiple options over any obstacle, and once you get used to double footing the brake and gas (aids in traction like MGD says and also prevents you from shooting into rocks once you find it) and really getting a feel for your rig, you'll be fine.

x1000000000

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBAdLxtzEwU&list=UUZOahArCyrG1lGFzIgrrGNg& index=7&feature=plcp

at 35 seconds you can hear my rear spider gears explode, and my passenger rear tire seizes. I wasn't hopping there, but I was on the line I was on before (have it on video as well but it's long and boring)
Ouch, sounded nasty. Hopefully we can avoid something like that. But if it happens, I'm sure it will be fun...

"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline  
post #161 of 692 Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Headed to the rock trails at tolar tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up, post up. Planning on pretty tame trail riding just to erase this weeks stresses

'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DeansWings is offline  
post #162 of 692 Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
pincheburro956
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Headed to the rock trails at tolar tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up, post up. Planning on pretty tame trail riding just to erase this weeks stresses
Wish I was going with. Have fun..

"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline  
post #163 of 692 Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
03rubiMaroon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cleburne
Posts: 71
I'll be going to tolar tomorrow
03rubiMaroon is offline  
post #164 of 692 Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Cnolenwj
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texoma
Posts: 1,095
Wish I could join. It's just not in the cards this weekend

2000 wj limited, 4" IRO, long armed front.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


North Texas Grands-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Grand Slam Texas Group-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cnolenwj is offline  
post #165 of 692 Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
dirtdude35
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hurst
Posts: 285
I will be at Bridgeport tomorrow if anybody makes it out that way

04 LJ 2in body lift, 4in rough country n2.0, winch, 35 Goodyear Wrangler MT/rs new style, poison spyder stinger, front locker

93 ZJ, 2in BB, Moabs, Goodyear wanglers MT/r Cherry bomb glass pack



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dirtdude35 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
North Texas trails? cbl600r Texas Jeep Forum 73 01-29-2016 07:44 AM
SE Texas Get Together NechesBobcat Texas Jeep Forum 19 12-13-2011 05:37 AM
Anyone in N. Texas RowJ Texas Jeep Forum 0 09-20-2011 07:28 AM
North Texas OHV Parks? Anonymity Texas Jeep Forum 4 06-06-2011 01:00 AM
Looking for tx4wd club north houston area J33Pyj Texas Jeep Forum 2 09-08-2008 06:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome