Noob wheelin ?s, good places to start out at...(Houston) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Noob wheelin ?s, good places to start out at...(Houston)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Noob wheelin ?s, good places to start out at...(Houston)

Here in the next few weeks I would like to take my new(to me) Jeep on its first expedition. Can you guys recommend a place locally to go play around in some trails and mud that a beginner can navigate through with just an average Jeep?

I looked at Spring Creek Park, it looks like a blast but it may be more then what I need to start out with considering I am only on 32s ATs, 2" lift, no lockers, no winch etc....Truly just starting out, so I don't know sh*t about 4 wheeling.

I am not looking to become a pro-crawler or anything....just want to play around some and not break stuff or submerge or roll my Jeep. None of my buddies have Jeeps so I will be taking this challenge alone.......(well, GF with me but.....).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spring Creek is a great place to go since it's local. You've probably just seen the pics of the more extream stuff. There's some good little trails and hills to play around on even for stock jeeps. There are some other places that aren't too far from Houston. Shiloh Ridge in Alto and General Sams in Huntsville are a couple little parks. Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer is a little further, but worth the trip. Since you're in League City, you're not that far from me. Check out www.tx4wd.org/forum and join up there. I'm a member of the Galveston Chapter and we plan runs all the time. The pres lives in League City.
Unread 07-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Spring Creek is a GREAT place to take a new wheeler and stock Jeep.

like Slinky said, they display more of the hardcore stuff, but most of the park is pretty wide in its range of difficulty, you can pick the hard or easy line up most stuff, and in a lot of places, just make your own line fit to your vehicle (like the sandy play ground area by the parking lot).

and since its really dry right now, there's hardly any mud out there, but its really dusty. If you happen across any mud pits, check the depth before crossing.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys....I will be planning a trip in the next few weeks. TRW, I'll hit you up for sure before I go. Slinky, I am going to check your link and possibly sign up right now.

I am taking the Jeep on its first trip out of town tonight. We are heading to Columbus to a personal Ranch out there for the July 4th weekend bash. I figure it will be a good trip for the Jeep, so far, I have only put about 1000 miles on it and none of which were further then 50 miles from my house.

The Spring Creek website looked bad *** but I was intimidated from some of the pics, mainly due to my lack of experience in wheelin. I am sure my jeep is much more capable then I give it credit for....and much more capable then I am as a driver. See its, just your average, entry level rig....

At least I have a tow strap and hooks....LOL
Unread 07-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Fool Injected
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bravo for doing the right thing and asking questions first. And what everyone has told you thus far has been spot on. Spring Creek is where a lot of us cut our teeth, you will be fine there. One suggestion though....try to go with someone else in case you need to be pulled out of the mud or something. Also, make sure you have front and rear points for attaching a tow strap to.

I am the Prez of the Galveston County Chapter of Tx4WD. I also live in League City. Our next little get-together/meeting will be on July 11 at San Luis Pass. We will be meeting up in League City to drive down there. Details are on our forum at www.Forum.Tx4WD.org You must join and claim the "Galveston" chapter then our private section will become visible to you, and thats where all the details are.

Happy trails!!!
Fool Injected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Injected View Post
Bravo for doing the right thing and asking questions first. And what everyone has told you thus far has been spot on. Spring Creek is where a lot of us cut our teeth, you will be fine there. One suggestion though....try to go with someone else in case you need to be pulled out of the mud or something. Also, make sure you have front and rear points for attaching a tow strap to.

I am the Prez of the Galveston County Chapter of Tx4WD. I also live in League City. Our next little get-together/meeting will be on July 11 at San Luis Pass. We will be meeting up in League City to drive down there. Details are on our forum at www.Forum.Tx4WD.org You must join and claim the "Galveston" chapter then our private section will become visible to you, and thats where all the details are.

Happy trails!!!

Got it! I signed up today....not sure if I can make the 11th trip, I'm gonna try though.
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
rramostx
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Word up! I'm also a noob to wheeling. I live in chase park in bacliff. I bought my jeep in march. I installed a 2.5" lift and a 1.25" body lift and motor mounts. I wanted to go wheeling this weekend and was gonna check out spring creek on Friday but didn't want to go alone. I don't have a winch. Is it cool if I tag along on the 11th. I'm gonna check out that link.
rramostx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Fool Injected
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramostx View Post
Word up! I'm also a noob to wheeling. I live in chase park in bacliff. I bought my jeep in march. I installed a 2.5" lift and a 1.25" body lift and motor mounts. I wanted to go wheeling this weekend and was gonna check out spring creek on Friday but didn't want to go alone. I don't have a winch. Is it cool if I tag along on the 11th. I'm gonna check out that link.
I think 2 of my members live in Chase Park.

Oh, and heck yeah, join us on the 11th. All the details are in my PM response to you.
Unread 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Gr8_Outdoorsman

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I am new to this forum and am actively looking for a Jeep Club in the Friendswood area. Would the Galveston chapter be a good choice or the Clearlake Area? Thanks!
Gr8_Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Fool Injected
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Outdoorsman View Post
Sorry for the hi-jack, but I am new to this forum and am actively looking for a Jeep Club in the Friendswood area. Would the Galveston chapter be a good choice or the Clearlake Area? Thanks!
Didn't you sign up on the Tx4WD board recently? I think i saw your name on there.

Anyway, Tx4WD has gone down the pipes. Here in our area we are a pretty close knit group so we have decided to move on and create our own group outside of Tx4WD. This group will not be a hierarchy and will not be run from a political standpoint. We are here to get out on the trails and enjoy what we do.

To answer your question, yes, the Galveston Chapter was created to cover the whole county and beyond. As a matter of fact I don't even know if we have any members that actually live in Galveston anymore, we had some that went to A&M Galveston recently though and lived on Pelican Island.

What you can do is join up at Tx4Wd and chime in on the re-build process in the Galveston section. And then when we do relocate our means of communication you will be in the know.

BTW, I live at 518 and Bay Area in Rustic Oaks. We have a beach day planned for this Saturday where we will be discussing our restructuring. All the info you need, keeting times, etc. is in the Galveston section of the forum at www.forum.tx4wd.org
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Gr8_Outdoorsman

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Fool Injected, I did get signed up on the Tx4WD board and moved my group to the Galveston County chapter. I am really looking forward to getting out and meeting some of you.

We live pretty close, I live in the Heritage Park Terrace Subdivision between FM 2351 and Bay Area Blvd.

Thanks for the hospitality!
Gr8_Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Fool Injected
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No worries. You can stay abreast of our happenings in the Tx4WD forum for now. We will move to another forum as soon as I get that setup and running.
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
damunoz32
2009 JK Wrangler 

I wish I could drive up and go wheelin with some of you guys. Too bad I'm still a teenager and my JK isn't 4WD. :ubersadface:
damunoz32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damunoz32 View Post
I wish I could drive up and go wheelin with some of you guys. Too bad I'm still a teenager and my JK isn't 4WD. :ubersadface:
if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to wheel, and some awsome dads even let their kids wheel before they get their license

but yea, the no 4WD bit might prove a bit of a problem.....
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
damunoz32
2009 JK Wrangler 

naw, my parents are cool with me driving prior to having my license. But yeah, the whole 2wd thing is the problem.
damunoz32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.