Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question,

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Dysan
1999 WJ 

Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question,

I will be moving to the Houston area and I know they do emmisions testing. Now I wonder if having a quick disconnect for the battery would affect the test. I have the quick disconnect because I have been having electrical issues that I have been trying to diagnose for the past six months and installed the quick disconnect to make it easier to disconnect the battery. I will hopefully fix the electrical issue before the move, but wanted to now if the quick disconnect will affect the emmisions test.

Dysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

No reason I could see this affecting emissions as it doesn't do anything from a testing perspective. They toss a sniffer in the exhause, check the gas cap, and that's about it.
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
mitchlandry
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Only foreseeable issue would be that disconnecting the battery on some vehicles can clear the ECM in which will not send a "ready" signal to the OBDII scanner. Not sure if Jeeps reset after short battery disconnects, but I'm sure they would after an extended.

Also, I not familiar at when OBDII was introduced so you may not have any issues with a 99', just throwing this warning out there as I have a friend that has to deal with this every time he does an inspection, but he has a different make / model vehicle.
mitchlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

If you reset your OBD-II vehicle (all 1996 and newer vehicles) it will report all its readiness monitors as NOT-READY. If more than 3 readiness monitors report NOT-READY, you automatically fail emissions. OBD-II vehicles are tested by OBD report, not the exhaust sniffer.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Dysan
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the replies, haven't had much time to get on with packing and getting everything ready to move over there. But how long after a reset would it be OK, because I can usually drive around for a while and not have to unplug as long as if doesn't sit for more then an hour I am typically fine and it doesn't mess up.
Dysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

By the time the readiness monitors all show ready again, you'll have your light back on. Just fix your error.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.