Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question,

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Dysan
1999 WJ 

Moving to Texas, odd emmisions question,

I will be moving to the Houston area and I know they do emmisions testing. Now I wonder if having a quick disconnect for the battery would affect the test. I have the quick disconnect because I have been having electrical issues that I have been trying to diagnose for the past six months and installed the quick disconnect to make it easier to disconnect the battery. I will hopefully fix the electrical issue before the move, but wanted to now if the quick disconnect will affect the emmisions test.

Dysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

No reason I could see this affecting emissions as it doesn't do anything from a testing perspective. They toss a sniffer in the exhause, check the gas cap, and that's about it.
2005 WK Limited 5.7 ORT | OME HD | Saguaro Front Winch Bumper| Warn Zeon 10s | 17" Moabs w custom powder coat | 265/70/17 BFG TA KO | 1.5" Spidertrax | AIRAID CAI | Gibson 3" Exhaust | DiabloSport Intune | XD 5000K HIDs | JL Stealthbox w A1300 Amp | Valentine 1

WANTED (PM if Selling): Gobi Roof Rack, 4XG Armor, MyGig RHR & Lockpick, Catch Can, Rear Diff Cover, Weathertechs / Quadratec Mats
ttusqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
mitchlandry
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Only foreseeable issue would be that disconnecting the battery on some vehicles can clear the ECM in which will not send a "ready" signal to the OBDII scanner. Not sure if Jeeps reset after short battery disconnects, but I'm sure they would after an extended.

Also, I not familiar at when OBDII was introduced so you may not have any issues with a 99', just throwing this warning out there as I have a friend that has to deal with this every time he does an inspection, but he has a different make / model vehicle.
mitchlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

If you reset your OBD-II vehicle (all 1996 and newer vehicles) it will report all its readiness monitors as NOT-READY. If more than 3 readiness monitors report NOT-READY, you automatically fail emissions. OBD-II vehicles are tested by OBD report, not the exhaust sniffer.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Dysan
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the replies, haven't had much time to get on with packing and getting everything ready to move over there. But how long after a reset would it be OK, because I can usually drive around for a while and not have to unplug as long as if doesn't sit for more then an hour I am typically fine and it doesn't mess up.
Dysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

By the time the readiness monitors all show ready again, you'll have your light back on. Just fix your error.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.