Machine Shops in the Austin (and surrounding) areas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Machine Shops in the Austin (and surrounding) areas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Machine Shops in the Austin (and surrounding) areas

I am looking at getting a 4.7L Stroker motor built for my Jeep TJ. I have found a couple of machine shops and gotten a few quotes, but I haven't been 100% convinced on these shops. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good machine shop? Any one that has had an engine rebuilt here in the Austin area? I am located in Round Rock and am willing to travel for a better job done. (Reasonable distances that is!) Looking for someone or some shop in Round Rock, Hutto, Cedar Park/Leander, Pflugerville, Austin, and maybe even as south as Buda and San Marcos. Thanks in advance for the time and thoughts guys.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any suggestions?? Shops that you would recommend to stay AWAY from are appreciated as well!

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

Unread 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
chuckt62

I'd talk to KrawlTex and see who they recommend.
chuckt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
CACooper
1985 CJ7 

I know this is a bit farther than you want, but Duffin's Machine Shop in San Antonio (by the airport) is the best there is.

[QUOTE=Nuthin]...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=-Zona-]For some reason I keep underestimating you.[/QUOTE]
CACooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt62 View Post
I'd talk to KrawlTex and see who they recommend.
That's funny! I got their number last night from their website to call them today to see if they had a shop they use/recommend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACooper View Post
I know this is a bit farther than you want, but Duffin's Machine Shop in San Antonio (by the airport) is the best there is.
If they build a reliable engine and do excellent work, I'd be more than happy to drive a little bit. It's going to be in my DD, so if I need to spend a little extra on gas to drop off/pick up from the shop, I'll do it. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Any one else?

Unread 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
chuckt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ View Post
That's funny! I got their number last night from their website to call them today to see if they had a shop they use/recommend!
A lot of people on their forum recommend David Kropp at:

Cylinder Head Shop
10208 Ranch Road 620 North, Austin, TX 78726
(512) 331-1110 ‎
chuckt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good. I will keep his info handy.
I have a machine shop down in San Marcos that may do the build for me. My brother's father-in-law races down at San Antonio Raceway with a 65(?) Nova that runs 9s. His engine builder, Craig Pullin, is the one that I may have do the work. My brother had been trying to get a hold of him with no avail. I finally talked to him yesterday around lunch time. We'll set up a time to meet up, drop everything off and discuss price, specs, thoughts, ect. and if it's a little more than I'm willing to do, I'll continue my search.
In all honesty, I think he'll be the one who does the build. He mainly builds race engines but is familiar with the 242. He is running a Twin Turbo 632 in a Nova that runs 9s even with hitting the kill switch 3/4 the way down the track! He does EXCELLENT work and, even if it runs a little more than other shops, reliability has a price!
If anyone else has any more suggestions, please, keep them coming just in case I don't go with Craig. Plus, this thread may be helpful for someone else in the Austin area at some point in the near future. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Unread 02-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone else is Interested, there is a shop in Llano that I received a recommendation on.

"I have a GREAT machine shop that I use, again its an hour or so outside Austin in Llano.* He has built several Jeep strokers and has done a LOT of work for me over the years. Actually a buddy from college (Tech) that is a mechanical engineer and owns/operates this machine shop....does a lot of race boat mills.* He has done heads for BMW and Audi (turbo), as well as*two sets of*Range Rover heads*for me.* Super work, very prompt, very fair.*
Texas Engine Machine- Jeff Winn (owner)
He has my crank and rods and 4.0 head stored and waiting..."

I had already dropped my build off in San Marcos when I received this email, but if I wasn't able to get with Craig, I think this would have been the route I'd have gone.

Unread 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
digitalfiend

Texas Engine Machine

I'm posting on this thread because I am looking for a great machine shop in Texas and I used some information from this thread yesterday - thanks google for helping me find this site :-)

I have a V6 Toyota Tacoma 5vz-fe engine that I'm going to rebuild and then boost with a TRD supercharger. Because I saw this post I called Texas Engine Machine yesterday (5/10/2012) and after talking with Jeff I'm going to have them do the machine work on my block and rebuild the heads. Unlike most machine shops he was willing to discuss machining options and any upgrades that he thought the engine would need since it would be boosted.

There are two reasons that I am going with Texas Engine Machine:

The first reason I'm going to use Texas Engine Machine is because of how thorough Jeff is and how willing he was to invest time discussing my rebuild. Most engine shops I've called aren't interested in discussing their tooling setup or answering questions such as whether they use a torque plate when they bore engine cylinder walls. Since machine work can make or break an engine rebuild I want to work with someone who is willing to talk on the phone if necessary.

The second reason is because of the computer-controlled honing, boring and decking machines that Jeff has in service. These machines provide better precision than any of the manual-controlled machines. None of the shops in San Antonio I've called have machines that are as consistently precise as what Jeff uses.

In case any are curious, I am not affiliated in any way with Texas Engine Machine. I'm just searching for a good machine shop in Texas, and Texas Engine Machine seems to be one of the better ones that I've found. I'll update this thread with my results of the machine work and rebuild.
digitalfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cool Should be sweet once it's done!
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very interested in how everything come out... Keep us posted

Unread 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

There is an engine shop in Hutto I believe. I haven't used them, but a good friend is the service manager at the chevy house in rockdale and they send all their engine work there. I want to say its Performance Engine or Performance Machine. He's been pleased. My number one choice would be industrial machine in Bryan. Top quality work, super attention to detail. 979-778-0216
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon
There is an engine shop in Hutto I believe. I haven't used them, but a good friend is the service manager at the chevy house in rockdale and they send all their engine work there. I want to say its Performance Engine or Performance Machine. He's been pleased. My number one choice would be industrial machine in Bryan. Top quality work, super attention to detail. 979-778-0216
I went by Performance Machine in Hutto prior to making my choice. I was skeptical (or maybe a little naive), but it reminded me of a high school shop class when I walked in. The pricing was fair and the guy I talked to seemed pretty knowledgable, but something just gave me a bad vibe. I do remember him saying they did lots of SBC and ford (mustang) motors though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.