LS 5.3 engine Swap referrals (Houston) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > LS 5.3 engine Swap referrals (Houston)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
rastlin6
1994 YJ Wrangler 

LS 5.3 engine Swap referrals (Houston)

Hi, First time posting. I have a 94 YJ and I have a completely rebuilt LS1 5.3 engine for the Jeep. Originally, a buddy at work and I were going to do the swap but he backed out and I do not have the knowledge to attempt this work. I do have a tight budget to make this work. I have already bought the transfer case for the new transmission and engine mounts from Advanced Adapters. Also, currently getting the wire harness modified to make the sway easy. I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation on who does this work in Houston or preferably Port Arthur. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Chris

rastlin6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What part of the swap do you need done?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
ownTer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Judging from his post, All of it. Seems like hes getting all the parts together. And needs somebody to fly into the rig. Best of luck man, sorry your " buddy " backed out on ya.
ownTer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I recommend looking for a local jeep club in your area and go from there. May be some members in the club willing to help out or will know a shop that can do the work.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
I recommend looking for a local jeep club in your area and go from there. May be some members in the club willing to help out or will know a shop that can do the work.
This is good advice. A couple of new friends at the local 4X4 club and maybe a few brewskis and BBQ. I would do it cuz thats what I intend to do to mine when I get the resources. I am no expert but I would throw in to help. I am sure there are guys out there who would do the same.

Good luck!
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a deadline this needs to be done by? A time crunch?
If not, I vote you do it yourself. Despite what you say, you CAN do this. It's just one part bolted, glued, screwed, or welded to another. Do a lot of reading and take your time and you will be able to handle it! All the info can be found here or on Pirate4x4, it's been done and documented so many times, that almost everything you need to know is available to you.

At the end you'll save some money not paying someone else to do it, you'll have intimate knowledge of your jeep, and the pride of completing such a task!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Do you have a deadline this needs to be done by? A time crunch? If not, I vote you do it yourself. Despite what you say, you CAN do this. It's just one part bolted, glued, screwed, or welded to another. Do a lot of reading and take your time and you will be able to handle it! All the info can be found here or on Pirate4x4, it's been done and documented so many times, that almost everything you need to know is available to you. At the end you'll save some money not paying someone else to do it, you'll have intimate knowledge of your jeep, and the pride of completing such a task! Cheers
This

GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Sparrows. If you have a tight budget and you have all of the parts already, take that money that youre gonna spend on labor and buy some tools and an engine hoist. I didn't think I would be able to do it myself either but once you start getting into it your excitement becomes greater than the intimidation. Read through some 5.3 swap threads (mine is in my sig) and get to wrenching. We are always here to answer questions, whether on our build thread or a new one that you start. FWIW a few years ago the most involved wrenching I had done was U joints and brake pads...

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
rastlin6
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all of the responses and the u can do it attitude. My horizon on this project is flexible but my wife acceptance factor of an engine sitting on a tire in the garage is coming to an end. I just do not have the comfort level to take a chance. While rebuilding the exterior I did learn how to weld. This whole project has been a learning experience but I think I have reached a area where it is higher than my pay grade. I did have a guy quote me in Houston 1500-2k to do the sway. I was hoping for some Houstonian to responds with some recommendations. Attached is my project. I did just get the seats leathered locally for a very good price.
jeep-1.2.jpg  
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bring it up to Colorado. If you supply the parts I'll do it for $500

August YJOTM

Unread 01-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Psh! I offered to pay you $500.00 and a flight to Boise to hang out and give me a hand with mine...I see how it is!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember an offer of cash so much as beer not that that's a bad thing...

Bring your junk down here and I'll help you for free (beer)! You can even crash on my couch.

August YJOTM

Unread 01-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastlin6
I appreciate all of the responses and the u can do it attitude. My horizon on this project is flexible but my wife acceptance factor of an engine sitting on a tire in the garage is coming to an end. I just do not have the comfort level to take a chance. While rebuilding the exterior I did learn how to weld. This whole project has been a learning experience but I think I have reached a area where it is higher than my pay grade. I did have a guy quote me in Houston 1500-2k to do the sway. I was hoping for some Houstonian to responds with some recommendations. Attached is my project. I did just get the seats leathered locally for a very good price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
Psh! I offered to pay you $500.00 and a flight to Boise to hang out and give me a hand with mine...I see how it is! Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
I don't remember an offer of cash so much as beer not that that's a bad thing... Bring your junk down here and I'll help you for free (beer)! You can even crash on my couch.
Lol... On the responses

GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
rastlin6
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You have no idea how tempting that offer is. It is was closer to the summer I would seriously consider it. Drink a few beers with a view of the mountains working on a jeep......Sounds terrible. Has the consumption of beer decreased with the new law?
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What part about the swap do you think is out of reach for you? Take an hour or so and browse through my thread so you can see what all is involved. Maybe you could just get help placing the motor mounts and setting the drivetrain then hook everything up yourself?

Which law? Legalization of weed? No I doubt beer consumption has slowed any. Anyone I know smoked before it was legal and drank at the same time

August YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.