Headed to Dallas for a couple days - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Headed to Dallas for a couple days

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Headed to Dallas for a couple days

I'm flying into Dallas Nov. 29 for an interview and will have Friday Dec 30. evening and most of the day Saturday to explore the area. Any advice on what to check out or what there is to do in evening/night around there? I'm from NC obviously and have never been down there and if things work out with this company, I may end up moving there sometime after January. So what things should I check out and what things around the area make you like it?

Also, not important right now but somethings I eventually will want to know about: What wheeling areas are around the area? how far to any good OHV parks or any local places that aren't illegal?
And What are the lakes around there like for boating etc? How clean is the water in them? I have gotten so used to being near the water living at the beach for 2 years and the rest of my life I've only been 2 hours away from it.

Thanks for any input! and If anyone wants to do something one of those times or show me around just let me know, I'll just be likely cruising around by myself after interviewing on Friday.

Unread 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

TEXAS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

but Dallas sucks Forth worth is where its at. check out the stock yards and some of the bars off 7th

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
HBgirl
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tons to do in this area, just depends on what you like.

Dallas has all the same things you'd find in any big city. Tons of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. There's some good microbreweries in the DFW area, if that's what you like.

In Ft. Worth, like the above-poster said, the Stockyards is a great place to start. It has Billy Bob's, great restaurants like Joe T. Garcia's (great mexican food). There's also a Flying Saucer (every beer you can possibly imagine) in downtown Ft. Worth.

As far as wheeling goes, Bridgeport and Tolar are the most popular for this area, I think. I'm not sure about lakes; it's not something I've ever looked into.
HBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well looks like I might have to check out some bars or something. I've never actually been in any big cities much nor do I know much about the area. Whas the difference between Dallas and Ft Worth? I see them referenced as indvidual places then as DFW all in one... I'm not really much into the big city scene, But I do enjoy my share of beers and am open to most bars or places to get a decent beer, as long as they aren't blaring crappy music and trying to be a 'club scene'
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
spward

1985 CJ7 

There are about 30 lakes within an hour's drive from DFW. Plenty of lakes to ski, fish or just float and drink beer. Dallas and Ft Worth are about 35 miles apart. However, depending on where you are staying and where you want to drive are based on personal choices. Stockyards are a good place to visit in FTW as well as Dallas' West end. My CJ is in parts so no places to wheel for me yet, but land in Texas is enter at your own risk and don't ***** if you get shot at. Take a tour of Cowboy's Stadium, visit the Gaylord Texan and see the Ice Sculptures, Hit Billy Bob's in the Stockyards. House of Blues in downtown Dallas usually has some good shows to. If you can post where you are going to be, we can try and make it better for you.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/concer...te:2012-11-29/

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm staying at the a Hampton, I copied the address below.
Hampton Inn & Suites, Dallas Allen
830 West Stacy Road Allen, Texas, 75013
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
spward

1985 CJ7 

Allen is a good ways from Ft Worth. However, You are right off 75 which has good access to Dallas. My advice is to stay off 635 between 75 and 35E. Use 121 or George Bush Tollroad on the north side (It's 100% electronic so the rental company will just bill you later) or if you head south, use I-30. I still think Jerry World (Cowboy's Stadium), Gaylord Ice are good attractions for a few hours and then hit the Stockyards. EZ on the beer as you will have over an hour to drive back to Allen.

USN Hull #227
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What is there to check out at Jerry World and Gaylord Ice? and where are / how do I find the Stockyards? and what is it?
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The Cowboys Stadium is just a really huge football stadium. I live about 8 miles down the road from it. The Gaylord is pretty cool. The Stockyards is the part of Fort Worth where the cattle shows happen, and it's full of good food and drink. Hit up some Google, it'll tell you everything you want to know.

As far as wheeling, D/FW sucks for it. There used to be a trail on Highway 360 just a stone's throw from the airport, but a few years ago, someone bought the land and has been more anal than usual about people wheeling on it. Cops have been called, rigs have been towed, people have been arrested. A few hours north is an OHV park in Bridgeport, and several hours south is a privately-owned OHV park in Marble Falls. Aside from that, not really a whole lot of strictly-legal wheeling.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
DzGoTech
1980 CJ5 

Dallas:

Send the lady to north park mall and head to top golf. No worries if you aren't a golfer, it's fun any way. Also there's a full bar there.
For dinner grab some maggianos when you go back to the mall to pick her up. Pf chang's is there too. In and out burger and grimaldis are nearby too.
For live music, check out the Grenada theater. For a low-fi evening, hit milo butterfingers on SMU blvd. for a more social evening, uptown is the way to go. Black friar on McKinney has $5 valet and good beer prices. Trophy club has a mechanical bull... Lots of fun.
Nurse your hangover the next day with some twisted root burgers. Try the fried green beans. Torches tacos is a good clay to go too.

Ft. Worth:

One word: Chimy's footnote: beer-rita
Billy bobs is fun too and you can't miss the biggest Honky Tonk in the world.
Ft worth has a good zoo and a great botanical garden. The stock yards are a blast too.
Gotta check out downtown ft. Worth while your there... Lots of fun to park and bar hop. There's a good piano bar there, and the flying saucer is a must for beer lovers

Differences:

Dallas is more "southern" and ft worth is more "western" you'll see boots and skirts in Ft Worth and dress shirts and high heels in Dallas. Both lots of fun with friendly people. Dallas gets a wrap for being uppity, but there are a lot of great people there. Of course there are some people there that perpetuate the stereotype, but for the most part people are cool.

Advice:
Don't try to do dinner in Dallas and entertainment in Ft Worth. That drive is not as short as it looks. Pick a city and stay there for the evening. You really can't go wrong with either one.
DzGoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
DzGoTech
1980 CJ5 

Torchy's tacos*
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
DzGoTech
1980 CJ5 

Also if you end up working in Allen, barnwell mountain in gilmer is the best wheeling option
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The place I'm interviewing is actually in farmersville and is where I'd be if I got the job, which just from looking at the map looks a little further from Dallas than I thought, But oh Well, I try to find something to do on my trip.
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, Farmersville is a bit out of the way. Not too bad though.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
spward

1985 CJ7 

I would at least move to Melissa or McKinney and not Farmersville. Good luck on your interview.

USN Hull #227

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.