Big Bend State Ranch Jeep Trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Big Bend State Ranch Jeep Trails

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRCV Axles at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Big Bend State Ranch Jeep Trails

I have heard rumors that there are trails being created in the Big Bend Ranch area west of the National Park. The rumors are that a huge area with backcountry jeep trails will eventually be completed providing a meca for trail riding/overnight camping. I know there are some trails already in place, but it sounds like there will be many more to come. Is this an attempt by the Parks Department to develop this vast area into a Texas "Moab"? Anybody else heard about this?

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7

Last edited by Gymguyjeep; 04-15-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
JCoffey
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to the place in Lajitas you probably heard about:

New opportunities in Lajitas, Texas - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

There is also a new place coming soon south of Sweetwater in Blackwell:

New RockCrawling @ Texana Ranch in Blackwell - Texas Offroad Network Forums

If you like rock crawling there is also the new Katemcy Rocks 2 in Mason.

Katemcy Rocks ... Rock Crawling Texas Style

Hope this helps,
James
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Lajitas Resort Area sounds like the place someone was telling me about. Thanks for the information about the place in Sweetwater, Tx. Things are looking up for those of us in West Texas.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got back from Big Bend State Ranch Park. no pavement in the park nor leading up to the park's entrance. while there is nothing extreme there it could get interesting if you were on some of the unmaintained trails when/if a rain shower passed by. the trails I did were nice, nothing hard but enough to know you need 4x4 and the scenery was outstanding.

roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The pictures are great! Were there enough trails in the BBSR to keep you rolling for a weekend or could they all be done in one day? What are the designated camping sites like?

Unread 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

your not gonna do all the trails in a weekend unless your just flying thru them and not stopping and even then I doubt you'll hit them all. the park is 250,000 acres I think and the trails are spread out. the campsites were nice, they have a picnic table and a fire pit/grill. the Guale #2 did not have any shade over the picnic table but I think other sites did. you'll need a portable toilet at the campsites. they sale them at the headquarters.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have been out there twice and have barely scratched the surface...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
LMC74

wheeling

Hi GYMGUYJEEP ,Ilive in Midland and like to offroad. We are going to Texanna Ranch this weekend,I would like to Invite some local jeepers to come out!
LMC74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where is Texanna Ranch? Sorry I didn't see the posting earlier, but I would not have been able to go anywhere this past weekend. Am going to Guadalupe/Lincoln NF west of Carlsbad next weekend. This is a great place to wheel close (3hrs) from Midland.

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
LMC74

texana ranch

Texana Ranch is near Blackwell TX, Lincoln n/f sounds nice this time of year. Our next big trip is to Katemcy rocks (K-2) It has some of the best rock crawling in Texas!
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How are the trails at the Texanna Ranch area? What is the fee to trailride all day? Do they have a camping area? Although I plan to stay on trails, do you have to participate in organized trail rides with a trail boss or are you able to go off by yourself?

For the same driving distance from Midland to Blackwell you could be in the Guadalupe Mountains at 6,000-7,000 feet driving in beautiful country with lots of solitude. You should check it out sometime.

Unread 07-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
LMC74

The trails at Texana were mild wheeling . The fee is 50 dollers for the YEAR ! includes rv hookups (30amp service water and dump ) I agree with you on needing to see the Guadalupe mnt. but if you like tuff trailes you should check out K-2! Luis 432.553.8186
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wheeled twice at the former Katemcy Rocks. Haven't been to K2 although I have talke to people who say it is more difficult than the original. Had a good time when I went to Katemcy but it was hot, crowded, expensive and always felt like someone was looking over my shoulder. For what little time we have to go 4wheeling, we prefer a cooler environment, more solitude and the option to camp where ever we choose, no entrance or camp fees and less stress in general. Off-road parks are a good option for people with few options, but I am not a big fan. Although I can get all the rock crawling I want at Guadalupe, I am also not a big fan of places where lots of people gather and adrenelin and testosterone get flowing and things start breaking. I have driven my Jeep to and from every wheeling trip I have ever taken.

Unread 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

do you use the national forest map to wheel there, or do you have a guide book? (Guadalupe/Lincoln National Forest)
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
do you use the national forest map to wheel there, or do you have a guide book? (Guadalupe/Lincoln National Forest)
There is no guide book on this area. In fact you will probably find very little information on the web about this area. A national forest map will show most of the trails but there are others not on the map. A GPS will be helpful if you are not familiar with the area. Remember, this area is quite remote. No gas is available once you leave Carlsbad. It would be best to ride with another jeeper because you could have a long walk back to the community of Queen which is the only place where you can find any kind of help. There is a guy that I wheel with when I go to this area that lives next to the volunteer fire department on the highway through Queen. He is a mechanic by vocation and has a fully equipped shop behind his house. He knows this area like it is his backyard and rides trails 4-5 times a week and will help out fellow jeepers out if they are in a pinch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.