Big Bend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Big Bend

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
jmmorgan82

Big Bend

The GF and I are headed out to Big Bend for a couple of days on Friday and I was hoping you guys/gals could point me in the right direction towards a couple of good day hikes. We'll be taking her Xterra as I don't trust my YJ to make it there and back at this time. With that being said, wheeling is out of the question because she'd shoot me if it got scratched up. We are staying at a hotel in Alpine, so I need hikes where I can make it out and back in a single day. I currently have Emory Peak and the High Chisos areas in mind, but would love some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 View Post
...We'll be taking her Xterra as I don't trust my YJ to make it there and back at this time...
Blasphemy!

Have a good trip! (I can't offer any helpful suggestions about Big Bend, sorry)
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
jmmorgan82

Hah. It will be good to use her 4x4 for something other than sand.

Thanks!
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
KenB
1981 CJ7 

You've got a long drive from Alpine in to the park. Here's an excellent site for Big Bend - lot's of info and good folks with solid advice.
http://www.bigbendchat.com
If you're looking for a good scenic drive outside the park, try FM170 from Study Butte toward Presidio. Inside the national park, drive the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. There are several short hikes along the way.
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
jmmorgan82

You weren't lying about the haul from Alpine to the park, 85 miles from our hotel. It did give us a chance to stop in Terlingua/Study Butte a few times. I'll start off by saying her X impressed me the whole time. Drove smooth, handled well on-road and off, and averaged about 17.8mpg after all was said and done.

I don't feel like typing out a detailed report about everything so I'll just keep it short then post up some pics. On Sunday we started out in Terlingua then went to the park to hike the Lost Mine Trail, then went back to Terlingua for dinner at La Kiva, which was one of the most bizarre places I've ever been. Monday, we had lunch in Terlingua, then headed back to the park to drive Old Maverick then River Road. The west side of River Rd was pretty rough but nothing too hard to handle, and I was able to haul butt through the east side. We stopped near the end to take in the stars, then got on the road to head home. Here's some pictures:

Terlingua:

The toilet at La Kiva:

Big Bend hike day:

To end the day, we stopped by the bar at The Holland Hotel just down the street from our hotel in Alpine for a couple of drinks. Keep an eye out for beers from the Big Bend Brewing Company hitting your local stores in the coming months.

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
jmmorgan82

Day 2 pictures:

The Xterra:

Old Maverick Rd:

Santa Elena Canyon:

The Rio (not so) Grande:

Those are rolled up jeans, not jorts, and yes that is a 5 foot distance to Mexico:

Viva Mexico:

On to River Road, including pics of the Mariscal Mine and a few other random stops:

An old Chevy:

Camera died after Mariscal Mine. I'm goign to plan a trip back out there in the fall, and this time spend 5-7 days camping in the park. This will give me an opportunity to hit all of the backcountry roads, do a little kayaking, and some more hiking. I will also bring the YJ down next time and go to Big Bend Ranch SP. FYI, gas was about $.60 more than the average in Study Butte and also in Marathon on our way out, so if you are planning a trip anytime soon, fill up before you reach either of those places.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
KenB
1981 CJ7 

Some great pictures of my favorite place to go. The BBNP back roads are a great way to get to see a lot of the park, and just challenging enough to make it interesting driving. Now, BBRSP on the other hand is much more challenging and isolated. And bring your gas with you - the closest fill up is in Presidio. And don't go there if you are concerned about desert pin stripes. My old CJ was striped from wheels to top on both sides, but man, it was worth it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.