Barnwell Mountain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Barnwell Mountain

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Barnwell Mountain

We did a day run to Barnwell this past weekend (Labor Day) to check it out. Nice place.

At first I thought it was a bit steep in fees - but after running the trails a bit and seeing how spread out the place is I am sure the maintenance costs justify their price structure. I love the way the camp spots are set back in the park - you get a good bit of seclusion when tent or dry camping. There are porta potties at the camp sites - and all were clean and well maintained. The electric camp (for RV hookups) was a tad disappointing - IF we take the RV we probably will dry camp elsewhere - as there is no shade trees etc. But time should fix that! In the meantime if we put together a weekender trip we will tent camp in the back somewhere (we have that down to a science in comfort!).

The only thing I can say that was a true disappointment was the lack of rock crawling. The natural landscape does not provide it - but they DID create a rock garden that is a challenging 400 foot or so crawl so it evens out a bit.

the trails were fairly well marked - although some signs were far into the trail head and hard to see from the main road - took a bit of on the fly orienteering to catch some of them! All are two way - and we did have an issue with someone coming into a ravine the other way from us - but we just solved it by visiting a bit - both of us were getting out to look ahead on foot anyway - so we just planned the pass at the bottom and all worked well. May have been an issue if we had both already known the trail and NOT been out scouting on foot!

Overall I would rate them a 7 on ten scale. Time and maturing of the park should easily get them to a 9!

All in All - a fun place and very friendly atmosphere. We will go back for sure!

Unread 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey JW - I am glad you had a good time up there - there is a LOT going on and the place is just a great and I often recommend to new guys as well as seasoned guys that havent been up there. I do have to disagree with you the park has been open more than 10 years now and they have had some issues with managment as well as a BOD that is more focused on motorcycles than OHV's. What trails did you run if you dont mind me asking. I have always found the trails as far as the rocks go totally challenging (and my jeep is not small). The trails are more of a point and shoot and done than the on a trail all day course (if that makes sense).
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

We ran Desi, Omega, Binder (that's where we met the "two way" issue), Jeep Eater, Jeepy Hollow, politician, Angry Jeep, Wile E Coyote, and Humdinger. I ran half the Rock Garden - but after the first ten minutes my "spectators" were bored so that's why only half. That and a rock garden on a flat (as opposed to a gully) is a roll off waiting to happen - no cage yet - flopping on the side is one thing goung all the way over is entirely different!)! I am sure that with someone who knows the park well we could have been pointed to more challenging trails. The 1-5 rating is fine but what one considers a 4 I may call a 2 - for example Jeep Eater was just one challenging little obstacle going up from Old Camp - timing the outcrop against the left rear with the rise on the right. My rookie ride along made it look easy (his first ever trail) so I didn't feel it deserved a 4!

And the focus on small vehicles is obvious - and for that the park would get a 9 if I was a ATVer (only way to get a ten is include free food with the entrance fee - lol)!

I know what you mean by Point and Shoot - I think... each trail is short sweet and focused on the main obstacle. Not like SuperLift Park where the trail can be 1/2 mile of obstacle. In a way thats a plus - for example the Can Opener at SL just keeps on going through a real tough 200-300 ft long rock garden before you even get to the "main event" - the 10 foot ledge while turning left - and then you have another 150 feet of rocks!

Don't get me wrong - I definitely recommend it! But doing the Rubicon every Fall and Moab at least every three years and tons of parks in between - it makes it easier to be critical of the small stuff...
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
We ran Desi, Omega, Binder (that's where we met the "two way" issue), Jeep Eater, Jeepy Hollow, politician, Angry Jeep, Wile E Coyote, and Humdinger. I ran half the Rock Garden - but after the first ten minutes my "spectators" were bored so that's why only half. That and a rock garden on a flat (as opposed to a gully) is a roll off waiting to happen - no cage yet - flopping on the side is one thing goung all the way over is entirely different!)! I am sure that with someone who knows the park well we could have been pointed to more challenging trails. The 1-5 rating is fine but what one considers a 4 I may call a 2 - for example Jeep Eater was just one challenging little obstacle going up from Old Camp - timing the outcrop against the left rear with the rise on the right. My rookie ride along made it look easy (his first ever trail) so I didn't feel it deserved a 4!

And the focus on small vehicles is obvious - and for that the park would get a 9 if I was a ATVer (only way to get a ten is include free food with the entrance fee - lol)!

I know what you mean by Point and Shoot - I think... each trail is short sweet and focused on the main obstacle. Not like SuperLift Park where the trail can be 1/2 mile of obstacle. In a way thats a plus - for example the Can Opener at SL just keeps on going through a real tough 200-300 ft long rock garden before you even get to the "main event" - the 10 foot ledge while turning left - and then you have another 150 feet of rocks!

Don't get me wrong - I definitely recommend it! But doing the Rubicon every Fall and Moab at least every three years and tons of parks in between - it makes it easier to be critical of the small stuff...
Yes I definetly know what you mean on that one. I did EJS a few years ago and while texas doesnt have the day long trails - it does have a few things going for it. BTW you checked out Hidden Falls etc? Theres also Texana Ranch or K2 for the bigger rock stuff.

And now that I understand your post - it was a bit misleading - here I was thinking you were driving a stock JK and complaining about the absense of rocks on the main road.

The one trail at BMRA that you didnt hit and would have found a lot more entertaining was Carnage Canyon, hard enter, rock garden middle and challending end.

I havent been out there in 2 years so I have no idea what the trails look like now, if they have been flattened out or eroded worse.
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hidden Falls and Texana Ranch are on my list to see. Is K2 near the old Katemcy in Mason? (loved that place - went there with Russ Baer and he guided us - that's where we taught my son to drive!). Heard a rumor it was reopen on a different parcel of land - same topograpy and terrain...

Also on my list of go sees is Rock Trails in Granbury (its next as a matter of fact and will be a weekend as it is only 4 miles from a VERY nice B&B type Resort Ranch with private hot tub at each cabin ... creature comforts for us old farts).

I see the mis-lead - "day trip". I towed (an unfortunate breakdown is less stressful getting it home - so its easier to push the limits fearlessly) to BMRA for just the day. Two hours from the house ain't bad - but I would NEVER day trip SuperLift - that's a six hour tow so its a weekender at least!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.