AUSTIN/RR/SAN MARCOS...meet up? - Page 132 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > AUSTIN/RR/SAN MARCOS...meet up?

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1966
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ View Post
LOL. I didn't either... Until I put one in it!
Did you put in a larger main breaker too, or just figure you wont have microwave, water heater, dryer, and A/C on while you weld?

I'm thinking of doin the same thing!

OH, and hi guys! Im a new YJ owner in san antonio!

'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #1967
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDinTX

Did you put in a larger main breaker too, or just figure you wont have microwave, water heater, dryer, and A/C on while you weld?

Welcome!

My main electrical breaker to the house is on the side of my garage. Popped a hole in the Sheetrock in the garage, ran wiring straight to electrical box and added a new double breaker for it. Presto. Got a 220v welder plug.

(Sorry not sure of the "technical electrician names." My wife's uncle is the electrician. Not me!)

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #1968
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDinTX

My 2 cents...I'd recommend an electrician to make sure that everything is done safely. Get 2-3 quotes and have them tell you what you need. It's not worth burning your house down by doing improper wiring. Or hopefully, you have an electrician friend who will help for a few beers.
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #1969
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Speaking of electricians, I'm having a problem with a breaker that all of a sudden is tripping. Even with NO load.

It's on the washer circuit. I don't think anything else is plugged in or running on that circuit. It will run a load of cloths and then while sitting idle will trip on and off. I'm guess a wire has worked lose or I have a bad breaker that needs to be swapped out.

Thoughts??

Ps. From my research online, it seems clear that a breaker can get weak with heat and that wires can get lose over time as contacts shrink and expand.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #1970
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How old is the house? Id start by flippin breaker OFF and checking wiring at the plug in washing room, if all is well then if swap that breaker with one from a diff spot thats same size. If it still trips in new spot, replace breaker. If the relocated breaker trips the same way in the washers's spot id go back to checking wiring. Start tracing which outlets are controlled by that breaker. The light might be on that leg too so is check the switch and light wire connections as well.

'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #1971
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip. I'll try swapping out the breaker. The tricky part is that it's intermittent. I can't get it to actually trip when I'm investigating. Also, I haven't ruled out some kind of washer failure yet either. We just noticed that it didn't come on this morning. I flipped the breaker and it worked. 1 load into the day and it tripped the breaker. Off and on tonight I have noticed the washer chimes come on as if it was just turned on. It does that when it loses power and regains it - like the circuit was broken momentarily. That has has happened 2x-3x tonight. I'm guess that's related to it tripping the breaker. The house was build in 2008. I've had a breaker failure in 3-4 years. Builder quality (or lack there of) I suppose...
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #1972
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkalater79 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll try swapping out the breaker. The tricky part is that it's intermittent. I can't get it to actually trip when I'm investigating. Also, I haven't ruled out some kind of washer failure yet either. We just noticed that it didn't come on this morning. I flipped the breaker and it worked. 1 load into the day and it tripped the breaker. Off and on tonight I have noticed the washer chimes come on as if it was just turned on. It does that when it loses power and regains it - like the circuit was broken momentarily. That has has happened 2x-3x tonight. I'm guess that's related to it tripping the breaker. The house was build in 2008. I've had a breaker failure in 3-4 years. Builder quality (or lack there of) I suppose...
Per the NEC code, the washer outlet should be a dedicated plug - meaning there should not be anything else wired to the washer outlet. The lights will be on a completely different breaker. The washer outlet wires should go from the breaker to the outlet in one piece and not be branched off anywhere else. (Older houses may have suspect wiring and been changed by previous owners, but yours, from 2008, probably has proper wiring per code)

I'd suspect a bad breaker, as there's not much else that should go wrong. It could be a loose wire at the outlet. Again, I'd recommend having a qualified electrician do the work - that's always my recommendation.

Personally, I would leave that breaker off and not use the washer until you get it fixed. If something is sparking or loose, then it could cause a fire. It's just not worth taking the chance.
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #1973
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Code:
<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/dxGXrYh9Lt/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

I hope that works

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1974
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

and it didnt

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1975
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

you can see jeep pics/vids and the lastest HF pics here

http://instagram.com/bmwalive

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #1976
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well... Swapped out the breaker. Fingers crossed that does the trick. Running a load of clothes now. We'll see if the washer gremlins randomly show up again. If so, it's on the washer, not the electrical supply.

Unread 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #1977
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

I've got the Ford 8.8 all built up and ready to get under the Jeep.

There's still much to do...I need to do a Tummy Tuck first, so I can set the pinion angle correctly. Then I'll get the perches and shock mounts welded on. Then brake lines. Fun stuff!
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #1978
BamaFanInTX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The axle looks good Stan. Give me a shout if you need a hand spinning some wrenches some time.
BamaFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #1979
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys ill be out at Hidden Falls tomorrow. taking a bunch of noobs out for the first time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1980
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
Hey guys ill be out at Hidden Falls tomorrow. taking a bunch of noobs out for the first time.
Ditto. And Ben, if it's okay, I'd like to contribute to the BBQ fund. If it's too late to RSVP, I understand!

Thanks!
Tommy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.