Austin LJ Input/Can I See Yours? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Austin LJ Input/Can I See Yours?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
goofiefoot

Austin LJ Input/Can I See Yours?

Howdy, all! I have been out of the 4x4 community for a couple of years (too long), and want to get into a Jeep. I have been running numbers, trying to justify buying a newer JK Unlimited, but just can't bring myself to pay that much off the bat, especially knowing I will continue to spend money in mods.

I've always liked the TJs, and I would like to consider an Unlimited, but have never really had any contact with one. I've got a one-year-old daughter, so I'd like to see how her car seat fits to determine how feasible this would be for a secondary family vehicle. Other than that, I'd like to crawl around and over one just to re-familiarize myself with the platform. If anyone in the Austin area has one, and doesn't mind me poking around at it, please let me know.

In the meantime, here's what I've been pondering, and would love some input from the local experts:

Cost
I'm looking at keeping my purchase well under $20k. I will be selling (or trading) my BMW 330i and don't want a big cash price difference between the two. I've seen LJs for sale around the $15k-16k range, with lower miles and some upgrades, so I think that's realistic.

Model
Of course, I'd love to get into a one-owner, low-mileage Rubicon with fresh mods that's never been off-road, but I'm realistic. I know the TJ platform is nice and solid, so I won't be disappointed in an unlocked front D30, but I'd like to get as much as I can for my money. A hardtop would be best, and I won't go without A/C.

Drivetrain
6-speed only. I won't consider an auto.
The fewer the miles, the better, but good maintenance records are just as important. If I can find a well-cared-for model with under 75k miles, I'd be happy. From a longevity standpoint, what is an ideal limit? What preventative maintenance should I be asking about, and at what miles?

Mods
I'm not looking for a rock crawler, but a nice lift and tire combo that's already been done would save me money down the road (assuming it's been done right and not beat to hell). If I were to begin with a fresh build, my focus would be more toward expedition travel mods than boulder climbing. Capable, without sacrificing on-road ability and comfort. Any thoughts toward what to look for and what to avoid would be helpful.

I appreciate any help or advice I can get to get me into my next vehicle. I drove and built up a 2001 4x4 Xterra for over 10 years and I miss the lifestyle. I just want something nice and capable that I can travel with my family around the country.

Cheers!

goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the site! I have a '05 LJ and live in Leander (just north of Austin), you're welcome to swing by and check it out when you get a chance. Check out my build thread link in my signature below to read up on it.

I looked for months for a under 100K mile, 6 speed, rubicon and finally found one right before I was fixing to buy a couple of plane tickets to go view some out of state. I found some modded ones but for me to buy one with mods it would have to be the mods I want. I finally found a '05 rubi LJ with about 82K miles on it, it was bone stock with the exception of a rhino lined interior (a plus for me), I picked it up for 16K

You're welcome to PM me to check it out!

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
argnetworks

If you want great Idea's for custom Jeeps check out our new show
Jeep Nation http://www.argnetworks.com/JEEP_NATION.html
argnetworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.