Austin/Buda/San marcos area rigs! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Austin/Buda/San marcos area rigs!

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #16
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

im in round rock - posted a few pics on
the intro thread...

should be alot of fun !!

elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

whats your plans for the build?

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

here is my truck,

I am in Round Rock.

I wheel Boulder Creek, Trees Ranch, Clayton, and Gilmer.

tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #19
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

I little toy(ota) you go there. haha

I have read your build thread a few times.

alot of people live up in round rock. I guess bigger jeeping community then in buda.
everyone heres more into stupid *** trucks wiith 18" lifts that break in 6" of mud.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Austin Area

I live in Manor and have wheeled in the Austin area for around 9 years or so. Got to wheel at the slab back when I had a Discovery. I've never been on an organized trail run as alot of them are further away than I like to be and the price for drivers is pretty high at times. What I'd like to do is find people to wheel with on the weekends in and around town... maybe some nearby places. I wheel moderately and some of the places I have found in town require the vehicle to get decorated in brush scrape badges to make it through the trails... hence, not everyone is eager to follow. Here are some pics of places we've been to in Austin.

Current ZJ:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/P1010004.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/DSCI0121.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/DSCI0132.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/P1010025.jpg

Long time ago at the Slab in my Discovery:

http://www.discoweb.org/index.html (view photo gallery under Gabe Rodriguez)

Last edited by gabrod72; 05-12-2009 at 01:05 PM..
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWalive View Post
whats your plans for the build?

installing a 4" rc lift and gonna get a set of the duratracs on the stock ravine
rims. it'll be the wife's buggy, i have a cummins for my toy

Last edited by elephantrider; 05-12-2009 at 07:04 PM..
elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
I live in Manor and have wheeled in the Austin area for around 9 years or so. Got to wheel at the slab back when I had a Discovery. I've never been on an organized trail run as alot of them are further away than I like to be and the price for drivers is pretty high at times. What I'd like to do is find people to wheel with on the weekends in and around town... maybe some nearby places. I wheel moderately and some of the places I have found in town require the vehicle to get decorated in brush scrape badges to make it through the trails... hence, not everyone is eager to follow. Here are some pics of places we've been to in Austin.

Current ZJ:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/P1010004.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/DSCI0121.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/DSCI0132.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/P1010025.jpg

Long time ago at the Slab in my Discovery:

http://www.discoweb.org/index.html (view photo gallery under Gabe Rodriguez)
Where do you wheel around austin? None of those spots look familiar.

Now I have to dig up some old slabs pics to take a trip down memory lane
Unread 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

here are a few old pics of my YJ at the slabs

Unread 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

wow the slab. my mom lives 3 minutes from there.
and I just found out there is still a little legal wheeling spot there to. its part of a public land.

but also the slab has turned into a huge hole full of nasty dirty people doing cocaine and just trashing the place.
its sad.

oh and hey tube yj do you know someone in buda with a rock craw yota? I passed a house today with a hella nice rig. ill take some pics if I see it again.

also gabrod where are those? must tell!

haha

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

The pics are from a place that has just been closed. It is actually public land in north Austin. The main entrance has been blocked recently... by a few blocks. It is funny though as it is a "grey" area according to police. They only started showing up lately as the illeagal dumping has been getting outta hand. Also, there's a few people who live in the nearby apartments that think their rent gives them some type of right to ownership of the trails. Actually, the place used to be horse trails before it became the property of the city of Austin. Due to this fact, it is technically open land. Some guys that ride dirtbikes out their expanded some of the trails very nicely (Kaiser and others) and they're a great group of people. Unfortunately some other not-so-well-mannered riders found out about it and one weekend there were about 30 dirtbikes out there... soon after, the main entrance was barricaded. I'm not sure what caused the closing or even whether the city or private citizens did it. Not to suggest anything but a vehicle with a towstrap can probably move one or two of the blockers out of the way. Maybe even a quad?

The place holds sentimental value for me as it is where I broke my Rover over and over. I've been going to that place since 2000. It's gotten more and more character over the years and has even lost some of it. Funny how some trails got easier and others got harder.

PM me for location. Must admit I'm also interested in your DIY disco and roof rack plans.

Last edited by gabrod72; 05-12-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #26
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
The pics are from a place that has just been closed. It is actually public land in north Austin. The main entrance has been blocked recently... by a few blocks. It is funny though as it is a "grey" area according to police. They only started showing up lately as the illeagal dumping has been getting outta hand. Also, there's a few people who live in the nearby apartments that think their rent gives them some type of right to ownership of the trails. Actually, the place used to be horse trails before it became the property of the city of Austin. Due to this fact, it is technically open land. Some guys that ride dirtbikes out their expanded some of the trails very nicely (Kaiser and others) and they're a great group of people. Unfortunately some other not-so-well-mannered riders found out about it and one weekend there were about 30 dirtbikes out there... soon after, the main entrance was barricaded. I'm not sure what caused the closing or even whether the city or private citizens did it. Not to suggest anything but a vehicle with a towstrap can probably move one or two of the blockers out of the way. Maybe even a quad?

The place holds sentimental value for me as it is where I broke my Rover over and over. I've been going to that place since 2000. It's gotten more and more character over the years and has even lost some of it. Funny how some trails got easier and others got harder.

PM me for location. Must admit I'm also interested in your DIY disco and roof rack plans.
If someone has taken the time to put boulders in front of the entrance it does not sound like a "grey" area of wheeling. I wheeled out there probably 10 years ago and it was questionable then.

I would advise you check out hidden falls out by lago vista. Much better terrain and no question about legality.
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #27
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think he is talking about where his pictures where taken not the slab.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWalive View Post
I think he is talking about where his pictures where taken not the slab.
No i know exactly where he is talking about, I was not talking about the slab. If someone blocked the entrance over near the diagnostic center they don't want you out there, hopefully it is that obvious to gabrod72.

Please don't post anything about illegal wheeing on this forum. gabrod72 you really should try out Hidden Falls it is much better wheeling and you aren't running the risk of tresspassing
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #29
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube yj View Post
No i know exactly where he is talking about, I was not talking about the slab. If someone blocked the entrance over near the diagnostic center they don't want you out there, hopefully it is that obvious to gabrod72.

Please don't post anything about illegal wheeing on this forum. gabrod72 you really should try out Hidden Falls it is much better wheeling and you aren't running the risk of tresspassing

Tube,

I appreciate the concern but I've been approached by police myself and there was no issue with wheeling out there (at least not 6 or 7 weeks ago) due to it being city owned property. As for the blocks, they have been there on the side of the main entrance for about 9 years and someone moved them recently. Lately, the people living in the apartments next door have done many crazy things to try and scare others off like place logs in paths etc - so it wouldn't surprise me if they got together and moved the blocks themselves. The city uses that place to store and reuse mulch so they need to gain access often.

As for the sign that was placed, it stated no motorized vehicles (with a crossed over circle and a jeep silohette in the middle!) and it was not permanently placed in the ground with cement but rather buried a pebble pile. I'm just thinking it's fishy. The truth is that at this time no one knows who put the sign up but the apartment residents had been complaining to the police recently so it's likely it was one of those two groups. What the police did before the signs were up was they started showing up and ticketing those with no insurance or expired registrations. This is when they mentioned the gray area thing.

Anyway, thanks for the notice. I haven't been back there lately because of this and I'm waiting to see what happens - keeping fingers crossed it becomes legal. As for Hidden Falls - Thanks! I'll see if I can find it.
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #30
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

hmmmm that explains the big mulch pile.

well if it becomes okay to go out there we should meet up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.