Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls? - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #616
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Wow...this thread has been dead lately!

We're planning another trip out to Hidden Falls for Sunday, Sept 8th, if anyone wants to join us. There should be at least a couple of TJs and a YJ. Post up here if you plan to attend, so we will be expecting you. We'll meet at Camp B at 10am. For those with CBs - let's use Ch 4.

The weather should be good - partly cloudy and 96 degrees.

Pictures from our last trip on July 21st:
I'm out, jeep is tore down for the clayton lift install. I'm really thinking about the K2 run in October though. I'll try to get a shake down run in before the K2 run and that will probably be late sept. at hidden falls

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #617
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki
I don't want to cut my seams. I did some testing with a 2x4 (1.5"x3.5" actual) at Hidden Falls. I didn't get any rub. I will replace them with 2"x4" tube stock.
What kind of mod did you do? I'm thinking about squeezing 35s. Might need 1"-1.5" bump stop extension. This seems like a great way to test the spacing. With 35s I will need to cut my pinch seam, no doubt, I'm talking about bump stop extension to avoid hitting my fender well.

Ps. I have no lift. I've seen it done with the right kind of backspace. I need to check mine out.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #618
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkalater79

What kind of mod did you do? I'm thinking about squeezing 35s. Might need 1"-1.5" bump stop extension. This seems like a great way to test the spacing. With 35s I will need to cut my pinch seam, no doubt, I'm talking about bump stop extension to avoid hitting my fender well.

Ps. I have no lift. I've seen it done with the right kind of backspace. I need to check mine out.

You're going to rip those fenders off the first speed bump you hit..... Do it right the first time.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #619
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winners97tj

you're going to rip those fenders off the first speed bump you hit..... Do it right the first time.
x2

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #620
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ

You're going to rip those fenders off the first speed bump you hit..... Do it right the first time.
By the way I should have added that I have Bushwacker flat fenders. With my 295/70 17 tires (approx 33.25 converted) I have stuffed my tires fully, while rocking on 2 wheels, and have stopped just prior to rubbing the fender well. Hence my thought that a 1"-1.5" bump stop along with a pinch seam adjustment is all I need.

Like I said. I now a guy running no fenders who fit 35s without any lift. It seems crazy that given these 2 examples that I can't fit 35s. Am I crazy?

Unread 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #621
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This I gotta see

Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
4.88 gears frt/rr
Poison Spyder rockers
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #622
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold
This I gotta see
opcorn:

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #623
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Agreed, the 35s will probably fit under there with a BB, BUT......

There will be no room for movement/tucking/flexing on the trails. You'll be going home with your fenders in the trunk. And possibly be rubbing the inner fender wells due to lack of room. I'm in a 97 TJ, but have marks on my 35" tire tread from where they have hit in the rear of the tub. And that's with 5.25" of lift. (4" suspension/1.25" body)
Quote:
Owning a JKU and running a 2.5" lift and 35's, it's not enough. Winners was right, I popped off my rear fenders on the trail due to flex and no room for tires. You should plan for 4" minimum if you want 35's.
Quote:

Bump stops work as advertised. If you look at my profile, I have some photos with my maroon jk on 35's with the 2.5" lift. I only had about 3" of clearance between tires and fenders so your bumps need to be pretty close together. My recommendation would be once you have both the lift and tires to flex it out and then measure for correct bumps.
Quote:

BAM!
Go big or go home.

By all means a BB would work for the road, but will DRASTICALLY limit your capabilities on the trails. Won't take long until you're rubbing all kinda of stuff. I think we had to pull JCArnold's fenders within 10min of trail riding when we went that day. Literally, 50yards into first trail.
Enough said.......

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #624
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll chime in here on what I know but this is TJ/LJ talk, I know nothing of JK/JKU's. I ran a bone stock suspension and a 2-1/4" BB for about a year, I also had a little extended bump stops and the hockey pucks on the front lower spring perches, all while running 33's. With it like that I can say that the jeep was pretty dang capable, I choose the hardest group at jeep jamboree and did everything (minus one obstacle) that the guys on 37's and coilovers did. I did rub a little on the front while at full flex but I just learned to take that into account while picking a line.

Grant, do you still only have the leveling kit in the front? If so then I would at least swap that out for a full BB prior to 35's

All in all, a full suspension upgrade is the best way to go but I have a hard time believing that BB limit capabilities when I ran one and kept up with knowledgeable guys on 35 and 37's. As I'm saying this my jeep is tore down for a clayton 3 link and 4 link long arm setup so I definitely understand the benefits of a good suspension setup.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #625
Rumbloki
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold View Post
Dude you need bump stop extensions. I will post up some photos when I build mine. Cheap and super easy.
Like I said, the blocks were for testing. I wanted to see if 2" extension was enough.
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #626
Rumbloki
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkalater79 View Post
I'm thinking about squeezing 35s. Might need 1"-1.5" bump stop extension. This seems like a great way to test the spacing. With 35s I will need to cut my pinch seam, no doubt, I'm talking about bump stop extension to avoid hitting my fender well.

With this fender trim and stock bump stops I have no rubbing up front. 1.5" block was enough to keep the tires off the seam and rails.
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #627
jon_allison

Are some of you still planning to be at the park this Sunday (9/8)?

I'd like to head out there if a group is going.. I'm very familiar with the park, but would love to meet a few of you guys to run around.

-Jon
jon_allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #628
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_allison View Post
Are some of you still planning to be at the park this Sunday (9/8)?

I'd like to head out there if a group is going.. I'm very familiar with the park, but would love to meet a few of you guys to run around.

-Jon
No, unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going out on Sunday. We're going to try again later in the month.
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #629
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki

With this fender trim and stock bump stops I have no rubbing up front. 1.5" block was enough to keep the tires off the seam and rails.
Awesome. Just what I was hoping. Quick question. Did you cut your rubi rails and pinch seem? I looks like I'll have to on my unlimited.

Also, looks like you're running 15" wheels. Correct? What kind of backspace do you have?

Nice pic by the way

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #630
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im resurrecting a dead thread one last time, Im heading out to hidden falls this sunday. If anyone wants to go I will post up some details.

Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
4.88 gears frt/rr
Poison Spyder rockers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.