Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls? - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #586
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've gone out there a bunch of times by myself, I'm not afraid to go out there alone because I never try any obstacle that I am not 100% sure I can make without issue. I've got a cabin in the rawhide mountain range (Uvalde) which has a couple miles of level 1-2 trail to get to it, so I was used to crawling alone before I ever went to Hidden Falls.

That said anytime I'm out there I will hook up with any other Jeep that's wheeling that's around the same level of modifications/trail level as mine. It is a good idea to go with a buddy, but I have fun going out by myself sometimes. I've been out to Hidden Falls probably 6 times now, its a fun place I just wish that I was able to tackle more of the trails out there.

Unread 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #587
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #588
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Went out there yesterday for a few hours in my 2000 Wrangler. I forgot how capable it was after only wheeling in the Rubicon for a while now. In all honesty I find it much more enjoyable wheeling in the 2000 since its a 2.5l 5-speed and factory axles, much more challenging going through obstacles. I actually have to pay more attention to the lines I take and have to keep some speed going into the rough stuff to actually make it through with the open diffs. I'm going to be selling the Rubicon soon (for cheap actually, anyone want a 2012 2 door Rubi with 15,000 miles on it for like 25-27k?) and am looking forward to putting a lift on the Wrangler, and probably upgrade the factory 30/35 and regear it to a 4.56 or 4.88 depending on if I want to go 35's instead of the 33's I currently have.

Just a warning to everyone, the air compressor is STILL broken. They didn't have a sign at the check in window OR bother to mention it to me when I got there and ended up having to drive several miles down 1431 into Marble Falls with my 33x12.5r15 ProComp Xterrains aired down to 12psi! The Jeep sure rode smooth with that air pressure going down the road though haha, reminded me of my friends 1976 Monte Carlo. Hopefully they get their compressor back up and running soon, its BS to pay full price to go wheeling when they have a major issue (a lot of guys drive their rigs out there, and don't want to tear their tires/suspension up running at full air pressure).
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #589
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Recently discovered this place and am planning on getting a 4 door rubicon later this year. Just trying to research what I need. Want to run max 35" tires and want to see what type of lift yall would suggest that would handle some decent stuff out there. This would be be a dd but want to be able to hit some decent trails out there every couple months. Is a 2.5 BB enough or do I need a little better. It looks like it can be pretty hardcore out there. Just wanted to see what people are actually running

thanks
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #590
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand
Recently discovered this place and am planning on getting a 4 door rubicon later this year. Just trying to research what I need. Want to run max 35" tires and want to see what type of lift yall would suggest that would handle some decent stuff out there. This would be be a dd but want to be able to hit some decent trails out there every couple months. Is a 2.5 BB enough or do I need a little better. It looks like it can be pretty hardcore out there. Just wanted to see what people are actually running

thanks
Check out our profiles. It'll tell ya who's running what.

I'm on a 4" Zone offroad lift. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

| WJ Seat Swap into a TJ WITH FORWARD TILT!!

Winners97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #591
Rumbloki
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winners97TJ View Post
Check out our profiles. It'll tell ya who's running what.

I'm on a 4" Zone offload lift. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.
I agree. 2.5" is not enough on a 4 door.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #592
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand View Post

thanks
In a factory Rubicon you will be able to make it through basically all the level 3 trails out there with relative ease. I'd go out there and crawl around on some trails, then decide what route you want to take it (2.5" lift, or something crazier like a 5.5" long arm).

Worst case scenario you might clip your rear bumper/exhaust very slightly on some rocks, or kiss a skid plate on a rock. You'd be surprised how well any factory Jeep will do out there.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #593
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Agreed! 2 door vs. unlimited will have different challenges. It's totally worth driving it and seeing what it can do vs what you want to do.

I'm just a little "bigger" than stock. Have Hanson off road bumpers, winch, Bushwacker flat fenders, 1.5" leveling in front, 33s.

I've done nearly ever 3 and several 4s out there I think.

I love the look of 35s on the unlimited and hope to squeeze some in -- no lift. All I need is to cut my pinch seam and rock rails and add a 1" bumpstop extension (I think!)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #594
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

So I guess what I want to confirm is I want 35" tires for the look. I want a jeep that can do some cool stuff. I dont need to do some crazy stuff like climb shear cliffs. So a 2.5" BB will allow me to run 35" tires, to have some good fun out at a place like hidden falls the half dozen times s year I might go. And all this with minimal modifications.

Am I correct in thinking this route is basically stock suspension with bigger tires. In other words taking a very capable stock rubicon and giving it a little better ground clearance

Sounds like from the previous post that with these expectations I should be happy with the choice.

Seaching the site it is hard to figure out how far to go on suspension. There is such a wide array of offroad types and peoples views of what is "enough" I ask here because there seems to be expierenced group of jeepers that wheel in probably the most extreme place that I will visit

Thanks again for your help.
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #595
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I guess what I want to confirm is I want 35" tires for the look. I want a jeep that can do some cool stuff. I dont need to do some crazy stuff like climb shear cliffs. So a 2.5" BB will allow me to run 35" tires, to have some good fun out at a place like hidden falls the half dozen times s year I might go. And all this with minimal modifications.

Am I correct in thinking this route is basically stock suspension with bigger tires. In other words taking a very capable stock rubicon and giving it a little better ground clearance

Sounds like from the previous post that with these expectations I should be happy with the choice.

Seaching the site it is hard to figure out how far to go on suspension. There is such a wide array of offroad types and peoples views of what is "enough" I ask here because there seems to be expierenced group of jeepers that wheel in probably the most extreme place that I will visit

Thanks again for your help.
Agreed, the 35s will probably fit under there with a BB, BUT......

There will be no room for movement/tucking/flexing on the trails. You'll be going home with your fenders in the trunk. And possibly be rubbing the inner fender wells due to lack of room. I'm in a 97 TJ, but have marks on my 35" tire tread from where they have hit in the rear of the tub. And that's with 5.25" of lift. (4" suspension/1.25" body)

1997 Jeep TJ - Truly BUILT not BOUGHT! Purchased from original owner stock... obviously THAT didn't last long!

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #596
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Owning a JKU and running a 2.5" lift and 35's, it's not enough. Winners was right, I popped off my rear fenders on the trail due to flex and no room for tires. You should plan for 4" minimum if you want 35's.

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #597
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold View Post
Owning a JKU and running a 2.5" lift and 35's, it's not enough. Winners was right, I popped off my rear fenders on the trail due to flex and no room for tires. You should plan for 4" minimum if you want 35's.
Thanks for the replies

I realize they will limit flex, but want bump stops prevent you from ripping out the fenders? Do they work in the real world?

I know what is the best anwser. Just trying to determine benefit vs risk vs cost
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #598
JcArnold
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks for the replies

I realize they will limit flex, but want bump stops prevent you from ripping out the fenders? Do they work in the real world?

I know what is the best anwser. Just trying to determine benefit vs risk vs cost
Bump stops work as advertised. If you look at my profile, I have some photos with my maroon jk on 35's with the 2.5" lift. I only had about 3" of clearance between tires and fenders so your bumps need to be pretty close together. My recommendation would be once you have both the lift and tires to flex it out and then measure for correct bumps.

37x12.50x17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Pro-Comp 7031 17x9
Rock Krawler 5.5" X-Factor
Fox Racing Shocks
Synergy Front Cage Kit
Synergy Axle Tubes/C gussets
4.88 gears frt/rr
Replacement frt/rr driveshafts
Poison Spyder rockers
And a bunch of other little stuffs
JcArnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #599
Winners97TJ
Go Big Or Go Home

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcArnold

Bump stops work as advertised. If you look at my profile, I have some photos with my maroon jk on 35's with the 2.5" lift. I only had about 3" of clearance between tires and fenders so your bumps need to be pretty close together. My recommendation would be once you have both the lift and tires to flex it out and then measure for correct bumps.
BAM!
Go big or go home.

By all means a BB would work for the road, but will DRASTICALLY limit your capabilities on the trails. Won't take long until you're rubbing all kinda of stuff. I think we had to pull JCArnold's fenders within 10min of trail riding when we went that day. Literally, 50yards into first trail.

Unread 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #600
M1Garand
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Like the others said running 35's with anything under a 4" lift will hit the fenders when you off-road. The 2 or 2.5" BB will have the tires rubbing the fender so badly when you flex it out, that you very likely can tear the fender straight off.

I had 285/70/17 (33x11) BFGoodrich KM2's on my 2012 2dr Rubicon with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers and a 1 3/4" Daystar coil spring spacer lift. At full flex I would be able to get the passenger side (never got the driver side for some reason) front tire to rub the fender pretty good when I had the sway bar disconnected. I never drove it around with the sway bar connected out at Hidden Falls so I'm not sure if that would have helped much, but there's ZERO point to have a Rubicon and not use the factory electronic sway bar disconnect and lockers when you go rock crawling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.