Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls? - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Anyone interested in a run to Hidden Falls?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #451
craniumboy
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bryan, texas
Posts: 407
Wow, I've seen guys mess up the fence this year, and be honest enough to tell the rangers and they said no big deal. Next time I'm out I'll stay away from all areas next to fence. There are plenty of trails that are not fenced.

__________________
Keep on Jeepin' on!
craniumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #452
BamaFanInTX
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
Bama - Sellers was very clear that the owner on the other side had no interest in the fence, had refused to put any money into it, and thus it was solely HF's fence and property.
And yeah - they have closed it now - as part of the argument that it was closed before (they just hadn't put up tape, made announcements, or marked it as such on the maps or info board).. Another one of their BS moves, but anyway..

Yeah - the whole christian company thing came out - right after one of Sellers' worst rant/diatribe posts someone pasted their Company Mission statement from the website with all the christian virtues and behaviors they were upholding and representing. It was almost sad how far away from any of them the post was that warranted the repeating of their Mission statement.
LOL, looks like they went ahead and changed the mission page and doesn't look like they even have a mission statement on there. Now it talks about what they do with their profits, treating each other with respect, no special treatment for anyone, and how they will handle threats. Not sure what that has to do with the mission of a company, most of it probably belongs over in the rules section. Although they still claim to hold their christian virtues and now they have added an explanation of what a "christian" business means. Maybe they should call the Cathy's at Chick-fil-a so they can get it sorted out.
BamaFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #453
BadassBlaze
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Braunfels, Tx
Posts: 16
Is this the section that is next to the high fence? I ran that back in the spring with no issues. Honestly, I didn't see what everyone was worried about. I did see the fence was pretty mangled then. Looked like something pretty big/heavy had smashed the fence hard.
__________________
97 TJ-D44s, ARBs, 5.13s, Cage, RE Long Arms, Atlas II, 35" KM2s, AW4, and more
BadassBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #454
BadassBlaze
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Braunfels, Tx
Posts: 16
also, I'm disappointed to hear the owner conducted himself in that manner. I want to make another trip out there, but I don't think i'll be going as often as I planned if thats the way things go if something goes awry.
__________________
97 TJ-D44s, ARBs, 5.13s, Cage, RE Long Arms, Atlas II, 35" KM2s, AW4, and more
BadassBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #455
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBlaze View Post
Is this the section that is next to the high fence? I ran that back in the spring with no issues. Honestly, I didn't see what everyone was worried about. I did see the fence was pretty mangled then. Looked like something pretty big/heavy had smashed the fence hard.
Yes it's by the high fence about half way down the trail. The climb is a little angled towards the fence and since the rock is so loose if you dont take that into account you can get in a bad spot pretty quick. A lot of people try the climb only to get moved closer and closer to the fence then they still try to make it and end up into the fence.

The fence in that area has been getting hit for years, I remember going there 3+ years ago and that spot being damaged
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon - slightly modified

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #456
BamaFanInTX
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 245
I went and read what happened on the FJ site. If you want to read it yourself just google search Jeff Sellers FJ cruiser, its the top result. All the action starts about page 60.

I can see both sides of the argument, as the FJ owner did not report the damage to the staff, and then he posted the emails from the owner on the forum. The FJ guys of course, as we all do on a forum, made it a one sided argument that Sellers was crazy and a bully. So i can see why he got mad, but probably should not have got into with a bunch of guys on a forum. One against many in the internet world is never a good idea.

From the FJ owners perspective it was his first time out and he hit an already mangled fence and the last thing on his mind was the reporting the damaged fence. He apparently was about to roll and steered into the fence to save it, so he was just happy not to roll. He posted the emails on the forum to gather advice from other wheelers, probably wasn't the best idea as it turned into a witch hunt.

The owner should have conducted himself better than he did, but he does have the right to collect the damages. In the end, the owner has lifted the ban on the guy and looks like they are working it out with his insurance company. I'm still going to go out there, just going to be sure to report any damage I may cause. I am not going to boycott the business, as I have given money or worked for way worse business owners. It's not how i would have gone about resolving the issue, but its also not my business so i don't know his reasoning behind it or his relationship with this group. From what i can gather it was already a little rocky.
BamaFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #457
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFanInTX View Post
I went and read what happened on the FJ site. If you want to read it yourself just google search Jeff Sellers FJ cruiser, its the top result. All the action starts about page 60.

I can see both sides of the argument, as the FJ owner did not report the damage to the staff, and then he posted the emails from the owner on the forum. The FJ guys of course, as we all do on a forum, made it a one sided argument that Sellers was crazy and a bully. So i can see why he got mad, but probably should not have got into with a bunch of guys on a forum. One against many in the internet world is never a good idea.

From the FJ owners perspective it was his first time out and he hit an already mangled fence and the last thing on his mind was the reporting the damaged fence. He apparently was about to roll and steered into the fence to save it, so he was just happy not to roll. He posted the emails on the forum to gather advice from other wheelers, probably wasn't the best idea as it turned into a witch hunt.

The owner should have conducted himself better than he did, but he does have the right to collect the damages. In the end, the owner has lifted the ban on the guy and looks like they are working it out with his insurance company. I'm still going to go out there, just going to be sure to report any damage I may cause. I am not going to boycott the business, as I have given money or worked for way worse business owners. It's not how i would have gone about resolving the issue, but its also not my business so i don't know his reasoning behind it or his relationship with this group. From what i can gather it was already a little rocky.
While I do agree that Jeff (the owner) has the right to collect damages and run his business as he wants, I strongly think the wording and actions he portrayed could have been much much better. Jeff was trying to charge the FJ guy with fence damage that was likely done over the past 3 years. Jeff claimed to know know of any previous damage then changed his story to acknowledge the previous damage but have never seen pictures of vehicle up against the fence. Search the web for some general pics of Hidden Fall and they came up with several pics of vehicles in the fence and a video or 2 as well.

I think this could have and should have been handled WAY better, props to the guy being accused, he was super calm through the whole ordeal. I also heard through the grapevine that Jody, Jeff's right and man, was fired by Jeff this past week as well. Don't know specifics but it seems there as been a lot of "raising eyebrow" issues out there recently.
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon - slightly modified

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #458
BamaFanInTX
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt2317 View Post
While I do agree that Jeff (the owner) has the right to collect damages and run his business as he wants, I strongly think the wording and actions he portrayed could have been much much better. Jeff was trying to charge the FJ guy with fence damage that was likely done over the past 3 years. Jeff claimed to know know of any previous damage then changed his story to acknowledge the previous damage but have never seen pictures of vehicle up against the fence. Search the web for some general pics of Hidden Fall and they came up with several pics of vehicles in the fence and a video or 2 as well.

I think this could have and should have been handled WAY better, props to the guy being accused, he was super calm through the whole ordeal. I also heard through the grapevine that Jody, Jeff's right and man, was fired by Jeff this past week as well. Don't know specifics but it seems there as been a lot of "raising eyebrow" issues out there recently.
Yeah I agree it was handled very poorly by Jeff, and don't get me wrong the FJ owner did not handle it wrong by being aggressive, as that was not the case. He did a very good job of staying calm throughout the whole ordeal. Which some of the other guys probably should have keyed on because getting hostile certainly did not help the situation. I think there was some other tension between that group and Jeff from previous events. I could be wrong, but from some of the early comments, seems like they had some previous run ins with him. This just happened to be what pushed it over the edge. I'm not saying Jeff was right by any means but as the land owner he is able to enforce the rules. Even if its not the most ethical thing to do doesn't mean he can't do it. Not everyone in this world is ethical, and he has proved himself to be one of those people.

Lesson learned is the owner is an ***. Don't damage any of his property and you will likely have a good time. There is really not much to damage on any of the other trails as long as you don't run over the signs. Out of the few times I have been out there, I have not even run into any of the staff on the trails. I have seen them in the parking areas and at the office, they have been nothing but nice. I am not going to effect their income because the business owner is a ******. This park is too close to home to not go because of the owner acting like an ***. Now if I have my own experience that is subject to change.
BamaFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #459
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things
 
AustinTexasXJ's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin/San Marcos, TX
Posts: 5,918
there are 3 or 4 videos on youtube of guys sliding into the fence, those hills when wet are pretty crazy. especially if you have IFS... HEHEH yota owners
__________________
Benjamin
>My POS JKU<
>ATXJ's $800 Dollar seXJ Build<

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #460
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things
 
AustinTexasXJ's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin/San Marcos, TX
Posts: 5,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
so i looked up some video of North Pole and thats considered a trail now? I thought it was just ranch road
back when we used to go alot "north pole" was just a ranch rd, I remember taking it just to go to the harder trails.
__________________
Benjamin
>My POS JKU<
>ATXJ's $800 Dollar seXJ Build<

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #461
AlTheKillerr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Star IV
Posts: 4,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ

back when we used to go alot "north pole" was just a ranch rd, I remember taking it just to go to the harder trails.
Yeah I know. The last time I was out there wasn't all that long ago and it was nothing more than a road. Probably less than a year ago but I guess some rain and a few idiots will dig it out and change it pretty quick. Only trail I enjoy out there any more is TRO as its the only challenging one left
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #462
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things
 
AustinTexasXJ's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin/San Marcos, TX
Posts: 5,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
Yeah I know. The last time I was out there wasn't all that long ago and it was nothing more than a road. Probably less than a year ago but I guess some rain and a few idiots will dig it out and change it pretty quick. Only trail I enjoy out there any more is TRO as its the only challenging one left
snoopy, greenhorn 2, and no name. pretty much my favorites
__________________
Benjamin
>My POS JKU<
>ATXJ's $800 Dollar seXJ Build<

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #463
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 411
The north pole was a ranch road a while back but has since turned into a trail due to rains and big tires digging out ledges. There are some areas where the ledges get about 3' tall but most are still around 2' tall. The trail has gotten progressively wider and wider trying to accommodate the smaller rigs over time. I've done all the north pole when I was stock height and on 31's and I've seen capable TJ on 35's have trouble in some areas so all in all it can be as easy or as hard as you want, depending on the line.
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon - slightly modified

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #464
AGENT-X
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 84
Me and another jeeper are thinking about going out there tomorrow. I've never been and am lightly modded, he is lifted on 33's. Was thinking I'd stick to levels 1-3
__________________
2009 Flame Red Rubicon, upgraded coils and shocks, PSC Brawler lite front bumper, XRC rear bumper/tire carrier, 17" MB 72's w/ 35" KM2's.
AGENT-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #465
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT-X View Post
Me and another jeeper are thinking about going out there tomorrow. I've never been and am lightly modded, he is lifted on 33's. Was thinking I'd stick to levels 1-3
1-3's will be fine for you guys. Have fun
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon - slightly modified

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.