Anybody else for Matagorda? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Anybody else for Matagorda?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody else for Matagorda?

The wife and I have been frequenting Matagorda beach for almost 4 years. We think it is the best kept secret around.

Twenty-one miles of beach, mostly deserted in the winter. Plenty of opportunity to pull less capable vehicles from the sands in the summer.

We fish, four-wheel, drink beer, but not necessarily in that order, and safety is always foremost. Can't help but notice that there are not a lot of Wranglers there. It is relatively close to Houston (about 100 miles), so what gives?

Anybody else know about Matagorda?

Unread 01-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
gawdzkitchen

COR and TX4wd.org did a summer run...and I think the local yota and land rover clubs do a run or two throughout the year....I agree, great place to kind of get lost for the weekend...several of us took off up the coast and went all the way to the cut...hung out...laughed at the GPS readings saying we were 15 feet below sea level...turned around....played on the trees sticking out of the surf which are great natural RTI ramps...we will be planning another trip this spring/summer...oh yea, there's also a major clean up once a year that happens and a bunch of the local clubs usually have a decent showing....
Orange Jeep Club Member #1
gawdzkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, we did four days and three nights there this past week. Pulled a "yota" out of the sand. That is a story all by itself!

I've been there during floods when the "beach" was jello and it took 4 hours to make the cut. This weekend, we ran the hard-pack and made the 21 miles in under 40 minutes!

It's a blast.

We always take out more trash than we bring in. I hate the way some folks trash the beach.
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's been a while since I've been out that way, but I wouldn't mind joining a group. I live in Lake Jackson, so I'm only 10 minutes from the Gulf so usually I just drive down Bryan beach when I feel like seeing the Gulf.
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It offers such awesome wheeling opportunities so close to Houston! I am surprised it is so often overlooked.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about heading down there for the weekend of Jan. 18th.
There is a decent little motel in Matagorda that is reasonable. Might even do a little surf fishing.
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody up for a weekend trip? I'd like to get some folks together. There is a motel available, and restaurants and such.
Unread 02-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
gawdzkitchen

Not this weekend and not next weekend...we are planning a trip to BVORR Feb. 9th, why don't you come along with us?
Orange Jeep Club Member #1
gawdzkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We are down here at Matagorda. It is beautiful. You could drive all 22 miles of beach in a Corolla because the water is down so low. Still, we've had to pull two vehicles from the mud or the dunes. The weather is absolutely gorgeous. The sea-fog rolled in at dusk and it was spooky. This place is awesome.
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
05redlj

yep. best kept secret on the texas coast. I go to sargent texas which is between you and freeport. it doesnt have 22 miles of beach as there are to many cuts but there is enough to have a real good time. Mostly go there to fish though.
05redlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You should try the Matagorda side. The beach is deserted except for the random 4x4. Get tired of the sand and you can drive a couple hundred yards inland to the bay and the mud.
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
jcm1983
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Heading down there tomorrow to do a little surf fishing. Stop by and say whats up if anybodys in the area, Silver lj. Down to hit up the back bays if anyones around.
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
rebelone50
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We go about every other Weekend. Lovely, place. Great to just get away.
rebelone50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to head down there some time. I have very little knowledge of Texas beaches or areas at all, though.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

there's a group of us from Houston, and another group from San Antonio that are going to meet up in Matagorda the weekend of July 25

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.