Another Houston Newb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Another Houston Newb

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
05redlj

Another Houston Newb

Hey guys, another new houston jeep owner here. I just bought my first jeep and come to find out I got one of the better jeeps without even knowing what I was doing. I picked up a 05 jeep unlimited. From what I have read you guys call them LJ's. LJ seem to be not as previlent and the shorter wheelbase jeeps. Which makes it difficult to find stuff for them and to read up on them. One thing I was excited about is the limited came with a dana44. that will save me a bunch of money in the long run. overall I am really happy with my jeep so far.

What I am going to use the jeep for is a daily driver to run arrands and cart the kids around. But on the weekend it will go down south to sargent texas and ride the beaches and crawl over the dunes and other odd ball things i find to try and climb or get through. So its not going to be for super extreme riding or anything that is really going to stress out the suspension.

Now i will put my flame suit on. I have decided to go with the rough country 4 inch lift. at the price of 550$ its hard to pass up. And if I am not happpy with the shocks later on I can get some ome shocks or something. now I am not mechanically inclined so I am going to be looking for someone to install the lift kit for me. I have called around to a few places but the say they dont put on lift kits that they dont sell. So do you guys know of a shop or a individual that will install the kit for a fair price? And what would be considered a fair price?

I also read that lj's and rubicons dont need a SYE. is this true?

Look forward to meeting some of you guys or gals at a ride someday. thanks in advance.

bigdave

05redlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome! Post in the ongoing Houston thread and if you buy the beer you can probably find a couple guys to help install the lift. And you can probably get by without the Sye on a LJ.
Unread 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
05redlj

ok will do thanks
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
h00t
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lj

welcome to the addiction. Drive an 06 LJ myself. If ya wanna meet up with some folks look into the clubs in the area. Thats the best way to find cheap labor for installin mods in your rig. Several of us in here belong to varous chapters of TX4WD.

http://www.texasjeepowners.com/forums/index.php
http://houston.tx4wd.org/
h00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
J33Pyj
1995 ZJ 

Welcome to the group I live in houston to if you need help with the lift just give us a shout im sure others beside me will be willing to help
90 yj/ 4:88 gears/33x12.50x15 Super Swamper TRXUS Mud Terrains/K&N air system/2.5L/D30front aussie equip'd/D35 rear / 3in BL/ 2in shackle lift / XRC8 Winch

If you havent broken it, you havent been wheelin
J33Pyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
05redlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00t View Post
welcome to the addiction. Drive an 06 LJ myself. If ya wanna meet up with some folks look into the clubs in the area. Thats the best way to find cheap labor for installin mods in your rig. Several of us in here belong to varous chapters of TX4WD.
That sounds like a great idea. I am going to google tx4wd and see if i can find a chapter in my area.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
05redlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33Pyj View Post
Welcome to the group I live in houston to if you need help with the lift just give us a shout im sure others beside me will be willing to help
Thanks bro, I appreciate the offer.
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Fool Injected
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05redlj View Post
That sounds like a great idea. I am going to google tx4wd and see if i can find a chapter in my area.
www.tx4wd.org

www.forum.tx4wd.org
Fool Injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What part of houston do you live on? I'm out on the NW Side between Katy & Cypress, TX. I just installed a 2inch lift on my 05 Rubicon and it wasn't bad at all. The entire job from start to finish by myself was around 3hr. If you need help just let me know.

Tad
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
05redlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
What part of houston do you live on? I'm out on the NW Side between Katy & Cypress, TX. I just installed a 2inch lift on my 05 Rubicon and it wasn't bad at all. The entire job from start to finish by myself was around 3hr. If you need help just let me know.

Tad
northeast side. humble/atascocita/kingwood area. But I will have to travel to have this done as i dont have air tools. I appreciate the offer.
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05redlj View Post
northeast side. humble/atascocita/kingwood area. But I will have to travel to have this done as i dont have air tools. I appreciate the offer.
I got air tools, and I'm right here in Atascocita - posted in the other Houston thread, too.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
05redlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWood05TJ View Post
I got air tools, and I'm right here in Atascocita - posted in the other Houston thread, too.

replied to you in the other thread.
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tj

Well I don't have any air tools and it still only took me 3hr to do it. I really don't see air tools as being a requirement for installing a lift. I had two bottle jacks, 1 floor jack, 2 jack stands, open end wrench set/socket set, allen set (they work in the torx head screws), and I had rented a coil spring compressor from Auto Zone, but I never needed it. The hardest part was installing the new coils, but after I tweaked the bottle jacks I got them installed with very little fuss.

What I did for the frontend:

Jacked Front of Jeep up
Placed bottle jacks under front axle
Removed Front Tires
Placed Jeep on Jack Stands
Removed old front shocks
Disconnected front swaybar from the axle (only torx I had to mess with)
Lowered axle and removed front coils one at a time

Installation was the opposite of the Un-Install.

What I did for the rearend:

Jacked Rear of Jeep up
Placed bottle jacks under rear axle
Removed rear tires
Placed Jeep on Jack Stands
Removed old rear shocks
Disconnected rear swaybar from the axle
Lowered axle and removed rear coils one at a time

Installation was the opposite of the Un-Install.

Now if you're installing new upper and lower control arms it will take longer, but getting the new springs in should be easier because you can drop the axle further. Just be careful and watch those brake lines and you'll be fine.

Just let me know if you'd like some help. I'd have no problem in driving up there to the Kingwood area.

Tad
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-23-2008 at 09:53 PM..
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
05redlj

I just figured it would be easier to do with power tools. I have some crappy tools from sams and thats about it. I need to talk with jbwood and see whats up with going to his place. maybe a couple helping hands wouldnt be to bad. plus I would buy everybody beer and food for sure.
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The more people the faster it will go that is for sure. Just let me know when you plan on attacking it

Tad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.