Abilene shout out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > Abilene shout out

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
mrcjeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Abilene shout out

New to the area, any local clubs or places to do some light wheeling in the Abilene area? I have a well built jeep and just want to go play some.

mrcjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
js9234
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm picking up my 2011 Rubicon at the beginning of April and moving to Abilene in the middle of April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjeeper View Post
New to the area, any local clubs or places to do some light wheeling in the Abilene area? I have a well built jeep and just want to go play some.
js9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in Clyde. Not many local trails to ride that I know of. There's a few muddy trails around Ft. Phantom Lake, but they're not worth the mess.

PM me if you want to get together sometime. There are a few other forum members around town too. Might be fun to have a JF meet and greet.

There is a local 4x4 club, but I think they go to all the regional off road parks (K2, Barnwell, etc).
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Abilene here, most wheeling 2hrs away. Geeat town crap for wheeling. Club here is big country off road. Google it for website and info.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
arodgers
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm down the road in San Angelo. Some good wheeling and rock crawling here at the twin buttes area.
arodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
brockmarzullo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like they all have said, there are a few places to get muddy, Ft. Phantom and Kirby, but no good trails really. There is a ranch down by San Angelo i believe that has some rock crawling and such in it. I believe the info for it is on Big Country Offroad. Welcome to the neighborhood!
brockmarzullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
js9234
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got the Jeep and played a little around Fort Phantom but nothing big. Just breaking her in right I drove it here from Seattle and played a little along the way too so I think it's broken in good enough.
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The ranch in Blackwell is Texanna ranch. $50 a year per family membership. I've been wanting to go down there and buy a membership. A Jeep Forum get together would be sweet. Maybe we could cruise as a group on the Kean Cruise Night?
2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
linexrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
mrcjeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hey I am just off bp road by Buffalo Gap, have the 6" lifted red Rubicon. would be good to do a cruise.
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjeeper View Post
hey I am just off bp road by Buffalo Gap, have the 6" lifted red Rubicon. would be good to do a cruise.
I'm the one that bought the JKS Adjustable Track Bars from you! My Jeeps progressed a little since then, I know have a D44 out back and last week West Texas Offroad in San Angelo regeared me to 4.56. Still need to do the SYE and CV driveshaft before I do any real wheeling. That onboard air you have still has me itching lol!
2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
js9234
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is it just an offroad place or are their other things to do there such as camping, fishing, etc... Something for the kid to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by linexrandy View Post
The ranch in Blackwell is Texanna ranch. $50 a year per family membership. I've been wanting to go down there and buy a membership. A Jeep Forum get together would be sweet. Maybe we could cruise as a group on the Kean Cruise Night?
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
mrcjeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

good to see you are still building, its addictive....lol.. I think I just sold the on board air to a guy in San Angelo , he is supposed to be coming tonight. I want to climb some of these hills around here.
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
mrcjeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

also I have a bushing set you can have for the control arms in case you need one
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

We need to all get together. I had one idea for a family friendly outing. I recently took my family over to Glen Rose to the Fossil Rim animal park. Not an offloading trip, but a fun place to take the Jeeps for a topless cruise. About a 2 hr drive down there and lots of fun for family/kids.
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Some decent wheeling on the firelanes in Buffalo Gap. Go down the road that goes by Shades of Hope treatment center, and when you get to the rail road track bridge you can either turn to the right before you go under it, or go under it and turn right. I've been riding dirtbikes on these since I was 12 and they go all the way to View.

Texanna is a really sweet place from what I hear, after you pay the $50/year membership, camping is free (even with travel trailer, free water and elec.). They have seperate dirtbike, atv, Jeep trails and rockcrawling only areas. Also lots of exotic animals running around as it is a working hunting ranch.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.