'89 YJ Wiring Harness Install - Houston - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Texas Jeep Forum > '89 YJ Wiring Harness Install - Houston

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
sgporten
1989 YJ Wrangler 

'89 YJ Wiring Harness Install - Houston

A self proclaimed newb making my way thru the world of Wrangler. I live in The Woodlands and looking for some help. Just bought an '89 YJ and need to replace the wiring harness. The engine bay is convoluted with miles of wiring, splices everywhere, wrong gauge wires and causing problems. Driving to work last week and the alternator wire melted along with a number of others. I'm pretty sure there was a bad ground from the battery. Somewhere along the way, it found a ground sent a surge thru the whole Jeep and fried everything it didn't like. Problem is I can't trace everything to find the short. Rewired the alternator with proper gauge and reconfigured the dual battery set up but no power is getting to the fuel pump. Again, I can't find the short. Decided to rip out the old harness and replace with a Painless Wiring Harness #10111. Was pretty spendy but I think it's the right move. Wiring lights and radios I've done before, but nothing close to the extent of a whole new harness. I'm looking to see if anyone in the Houston/Spring area might be willing and up to the task of tackling this with me. I've got quotes from a few shops and just trying to weigh my options. Will certainly pay for help. I'm really trying to do this myself because learning the how to's is why I bought it. If anyone may be interested in making some cash and helping me out, send me a PM and let's see if we can get to work.

- SP

sgporten is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.