Oklahoma City area Jeep drivers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Oklahoma Jeep Forum > Oklahoma City area Jeep drivers

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
t147
2013 JK Wrangler 

There's a new place in Hydro called backwoods Offroad. It's a pick your poison kinda place. Defenitally worth the 45min-1hr drive

t147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Backwoods is definitely worth it. Its only an hour drive from the city and its the best wheeling you will get that is that close! Just went on the 6th and it was a great time. Check out my build thread for some pics of it. Definitely going back out there with my Unibody group soon!
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
Wakeride89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey oklahoma jeepers we have a group of guys going out to backwoods in hydro next weekend. Should be at least 5 or six of us would like to have anyone that wants to go come on out.
Wakeride89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #34
kraccker

2011 JK Wrangler 

hey guys just bought me a 2011 jeep wrangler unlimited sport looking at getting into a group for some off roading located in elk city Oklahoma hit me up if theres anything going on wanting to put my jeep thru some mud
kraccker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
Wakeride89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is a big offroad event in Disney this weekend. It's the opposite side of the state from elk city but it's some of the best in the state.
Wakeride89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #36
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Question

I don't use Facebook so i suppose that precludes me from looking into Red Dirt jeeps, but I've seen a lot of JK's with stickers around lately in the metro area. I have a family and am not a hard-core wheeler but my ZJ will be somewhat capable for Oklahoma trails when finished. Tell me about OK Jeep thing? Is it a buncha 19yr olds or does it have some family men in it too? If I join a local club I want it to be enjoyable and accepting and not a contest to see who is the most bad-azz.

Can anyone speak from personal experience about joining a local Jeep club of some sort for the 1st time? I have owned Grands for 13 yrs and more if you count family. I just never joined because the only one I knew about was the Oklahoma Trail Chasers and it seemed larger and more serious than I could commit to. But it would be fun to go wheeling for an afternoon and then do dinner with the family and some good company every now & then, or have someone to help turn a wrench or two.
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #37
emtgared
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okjeepthing meets once a month, currently first Tuesday of every month at sauced in okc. We go on runs, usually have two scheduled or so a month, and have wheelers that run stock vehicles, up to guys that have buggys. Usually where we wheel there is something for everyone, if your not afraid to get scratches and stuff. Check out our forum at okjeepthing.com. You can email me at emtgared@gmail.com if you have any more questions about the group or anything else.
emtgared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #38
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Check out Oklahoma Jeepers and Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers. I am an admin for OUJ and a long time member of OKJ. I would stay away from RDJ. But I may be biased since I am banned from them for doing nothing. Both are free to join, no fees like most other groups. Both go wheeling often and are family friendly.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #39
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Check out Oklahoma Jeepers and Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers. I am an admin for OUJ and a long time member of OKJ. I would stay away from RDJ. But I may be biased since I am banned from them for doing nothing. Both are free to join, no fees like most other groups. Both go wheeling often and are family friendly.
Seems interesting that someone saw fit to make a club JUST for the uni-bodies...is the membership in both clubs the same folks except the CJ & YJ guys are excluded or how does that work?
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #40
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSUV View Post

Seems interesting that someone saw fit to make a club JUST for the uni-bodies...is the membership in both clubs the same folks except the CJ & YJ guys are excluded or how does that work?
Works as any other jeep group but only Unibodies are allowed. We felt we needed to make our own group because we are different, very different, than our counterparts. We hold our own events like other groups and all that stuff. Keeps a lot of the BS out too.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #41
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
Works as any other jeep group but only Unibodies are allowed. We felt we needed to make our own group because we are different, very different, than our counterparts. We hold our own events like other groups and all that stuff. Keeps a lot of the BS out too.
roger that...what is RDJ like? Were they a mixed bag, or all sorta the same type of folks or what? What reason did they give to let you go? I am trying to figure out if you were not "good enough" since you said you did not do something to piss them off.
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #42
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSUV View Post

roger that...what is RDJ like? Were they a mixed bag, or all sorta the same type of folks or what? What reason did they give to let you go? I am trying to figure out if you were not "good enough" since you said you did not do something to piss them off.
For the most part stock JK's and people with too much money. Some good people there but many are stuck up and think they know it all. I was one of the early members, around 250th. They now have 1600+ members. Maybe half that own jeeps. They say they are a jeep group but they let in other 4x4's, one reason I started disliking them. They also wheel illegally. Not the group as a whole but their members do. That's the main reason why I really wanted to leave. I stated my problems with them on facebook and minutes after my post I got banned and my post deleted. The Admins can't take being wrong. It's almost like a cult they are running. They also promote drinking and driving. They'll hold party's, get wasted then drive home, includes the Admins. Definitely not something I want to be a part of. Cops also look out for RDJ stickers. They are known to wheel illegally and enter the river illegally. I have watched a HiPo pull over an RDJ'er after watching Jeeps without their stickers pass; while illegally wheeling that is. They also use to profit on their stickers. They were $15. OUJ group stickers are $3 and a OKJeepers $7. There is no reason why theirs should cost that much. Many of the original members have left and/or was banned. Most of them are now in OKJ. Most of OUJ members have been banned also; why, I don't know. They really don't like it when you are affiliated with other groups. There are many more reasons why I don't like them and many others have the same reasons. They were a cool group but they got member/power hungry.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

thanks for the honest review. I saw you are a college student in your avatar and I am impressed that you point out some very valid concerns; when i was in college we probably wheeled illegally and probably didn't even know or care, and definitely drank beer LOL. I would however question if the issues you mention are sanctioned by the club or just a few bad apples but you seem genuine in your concern none the less. I suppose it would depend if you gave an honest criticism in a respectful way or if your post was juvenile or hateful. I have never met an admin of any sort that will put up with smartazzes (not saying that is you).

My thing is that I would not want to go to some run and have it be all 20yr olds, foul-mouthed macho guys, or buggy operators that were hard on noobs. I'd want to be in a club that had a guy that was happy to weld something for you, or a guy that also had a family, etc. I had my times in wheeling/camping, etc with the folks I mentioned above, but now I'm ready for some people to wheel with that know more than me but are not ego maniacs, and will accept if i am older or younger than they, or if I am less or more redneck, etc...I think yall get the point...I'm probably over-thinking this but I have had my ZJ for 13yrs and never joined a club or found a single person locally that was also into Jeeps and developed a friendship around that.

I recall how tight-knit the local mustang guys were back in the day; they had guys that worked at O'reillys, all the way up to 40-something CPA's and grey-haired shop owners...it was a real mix but they accepted one another and did not judge based on less or more "preppiness" or economic status...I am older than 30 but younger than 40 and the idea of a car club I have is like I remember those Mustang fellas.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #44
OKRenegade
1984 CJ7 

As the person who originally started this thread, way back in 2011 let me add a little follow up. I wound up joining OKJeepthing and couldn't be happier with that decision. It's a great group of guys who are always willing to lend a hand. There are all types in the club form buggys to stock JKs to vintage Willys, XJs, and then everything in between. I knew nothing about working on cars when I got my CJ and the guys helped me do a full axle swap, work on my engine, and then teach me what they could about climbing rocks. As far as the demographics of the memberships their are people who are lawyers, electricians, military, mechanics, pipeline workers, warehouse, truck drivers, contractors, you name it and someone probably does it. I would say the majority are going to fit the age group you and I are in 30-45 married, with some kids. its's a good time and I would strongly recommend coming out to our monthly meeting, the first Tuesday of every month at Sauced in the Paseo. Feel free to email me at peterfbarlow@gmail.com with any questions. Check out the club at www.okjeepthing.com and https://www.facebook.com/OkJeepthing
OKRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #45
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

that was also a comprehensive review, thanks to both of you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.