Car fueling and starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Oklahoma Jeep Forum > Car fueling and starting issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
husker8978

Car fueling and starting issue

My wife has a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L. When you go to the pump to fuel it up, you have to fill it extremely slow. If you fully squeeze the pump, you can get maybe 1-2 gallons in before the pump shuts off or shoots fuel out. Any idea on that?

Second, when she gets in to start the vehicle, she has to turn the key forward about three times (basically allowing the fuel pump to dump more fuel) before it finally starts. Does this mean the fuel pump is going out or bad fuel filter, injectors? I'm clueless where to start.

husker8978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey husker, you'll get a much better response posting this in the WJ section...

I drive a TJ so take it with a grain of salt, but later TJs have a problem with the fuel spout, except the opposite, i.e. NOT shutting off I would suggest next time instead of jamming the filler all the way down, pulling it back a notch...or vice-versa if it has been not going all the way in, jam it down. Sometimes it seems like there is a sweet spot that you have to hit.

The second issue sounds like what I think is called the check valve. Regardless what it is called, it holds fuel in the system, so that the pump does not have to prime the lines every time. If it is a slow leak, you may notice that after only a short period of engine off, it might fire right back up on the first try, whereas overnight you have to prime it. In the meantime, she probably doesn't need to turn the key repeatedly, but turn it once for 3 seconds, then try to crank it.

That's all I can tell you - repost in WJ and I'm sure you'll get a lot better help/details on your problems.
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
RyanJK08OK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is there something in your fuel tank? Sounds like when you fill up fuel is hitting the nozzle and it thinks that you car is full.
RyanJK08OK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.