Winter Trails Near Denver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Winter Trails Near Denver

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
dasPete

Wj Winter Trails Near Denver

Hey all,

Just moved to CO and just bought my first 4x4 (WJ Jeep) and I am dying to try out some trails. Are there any beginner trails that are open this time of year? I found one thread about about winter trails but it was all pretty old info.

dasPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Be patient young Padawan. You don't want to be dying and you don't want to be wheeling alone especially if this is your first 4x4 and you just moved to CO.

The problem with winter trails is that most of the high elevations are still snow packed and likely to be closed until June or so. There is also the potential for a lot of mud with the spring thaw in lower elevations.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
dasPete

Oh man, patience is definitely not my strong suit. But, I guess I'll try, in the interest of not wrecking my jeep. Thanks for the insight!
dasPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is this website: http://www.traildamage.com that rates many trails in Colorado.

I suggest getting a MVUM or Motor Vehicle Use Map from your nearest Ranger station or look for one on line. This will at least show where the legal forest service roads are and to give you something to look at in the area you are interested in wheeling.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
texlurch
2002 WJ 

And a lot of the Forest Roads are closed until later in the spring for errosion issues.
If you don't mind taking a drive there are lots of mild to moderate trails in my neck of the woods.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
budi9

something interesting
budi9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I live up in between Black Hawk & Rollinsville. some of the trails are starting to dry out. Pickle is still a little snowed in, but there's a good amount of wheeling to be done before you get to the deep stuff. also, Ironclads/Bunce are open 100%. so that includes T33, and MSV/Coney. there may still be some snow on MSV, but for the most part, it should be open.

I also saw a bunch of Jeeps heading out to Yankee Hill last Saturday, so I'm assuming it's mostly open as well.

Rollins Pass is still pretty much closed...you could get through for a while, but there's a lot of snow up there still. same with Moon Gulch and Mammoth Gulch...too many trees and north-facing means they'll be closed for a while yet.

none of the FSRs are open up here yet. here's the page to check that: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/re...telprdb5339508

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jayson. The MSV/Coney roads are closed usually until the middle of June. Bunce is open, from the north end to the gate. The section of Bunce from the MSV end, to the gate, usually stays closed until June. Access to T33 is in the closed section of Bunce, so it will be closed until the gates are opened.
Unread 04-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ah, ok. I wasn't sure where t33 & MSV were on Bunce. we ran Ironclads and didn't get to Bunce, but someone told me Bunce was open the whole way so I assumed the others were open.

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.