Winter Park Trails ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Winter Park Trails ???

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Winter Park Trails ???

Hi Colorado Jeepers!!

I'll be traveling to Winter Park for a ski trip and was wondering if there are any trails that can be driving this time of year. I know the snow has set in for the winter, but I'd LOVE to get in a trail ride one day whiles I'm there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any body out there? maybe you're all in hibernation.

Unread 01-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Not really - 99% of trails are snowed in. What isn't blocked off to vehicles in the winter, is primarily for snowmobile use.
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Not really - 99% of trails are snowed in. What isn't blocked off to vehicles in the winter, is primarily for snowmobile use.
Bummer. Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. I keep seeing photos if guys wheeling in the snow through the woods. Was hoping to find something.

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You should be able to find some open, snow covered trails, if you travel to lower elevations.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt
You should be able to find some open, snow covered trails, if you travel to lower elevations.
Ok. Cool. I'll check. Do you know of any I might investigate?

Unread 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It just isn't a good idea this time of year. The sleds pack a layer of snow on top of loose snow. Fall through, and our winch may not even help you get back on top. Slide off of a shelf road, and you tumble (roll) about a 100 times before you hit anything. Wheeling in the mountains on snow comes with a significant risk.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

True. Not interested in an icy shelf road! Hadn't thought of the snow situation you described. I was hoping to find something safe and relatively tame for my first snow trip. even a drive through the woods would be awesome. I'll try to find someone to ask when I get in town.

Unread 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are some low level areas, but finding an area not claimed by the sleds will be hard.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72
There are some low level areas, but finding an area not claimed by the sleds will be hard.
Gotcha. What do you mean by "sleds"? Snowmobiles? I've never ridden one. Thinking about going on a half day tour this year.

Unread 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that is what we call a snowmobile around here.
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Yeah, that is what we call a snowmobile around here.
Hey, I was wondering in you might be able to help me out. I'm looking for same trails to run on my way through when I take my son back to school in Indiana in early August. I was looking at something around Silverthorne/Denver area. That and maybe someone who'd be interested in running the trails also. Any suggestions?
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are you taking I70 east? There are miles of trails in the Silverthorne area. South of I70 closer to Breckenridge (15 minutes) there are enought trails to drive for days (Webster Pass, Red Cone, Radical Hill, Deer Creek, Sts. Johns, Middle Fork, North Fork, Georgia Pass, SOB Hill, Garibaldi Gulch, Pennsyvania Gulch, Crystal Lakes, The Golden Horseshoe, and more...) I personally like Red Cone, Radical Hill, and Garibaldi Gulch.

Closer to Denver in the Empire area (off Hwy 40) there is Bill Moore Lake, Red Elephant Hill, and Mill Creek. I haven't done Red Elephant, but that trail system is just not my favorite. Nothing wrong with it, just a bit busier since it is closer to Denver.

Also off of I70, in the Minturn / Red Cliff area is a decent trail system. My favorite being Wearyman Gulch.

Hit me up as the trip gets closer. I am always up for a day in the woods!
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72
Are you taking I70 east? There are miles of trails in the Silverthorne area. South of I70 closer to Breckenridge (15 minutes) there are enought trails to drive for days (Webster Pass, Red Cone, Radical Hill, Deer Creek, Sts. Johns, Middle Fork, North Fork, Georgia Pass, SOB Hill, Garibaldi Gulch, Pennsyvania Gulch, Crystal Lakes, The Golden Horseshoe, and more...) I personally like Red Cone, Radical Hill, and Garibaldi Gulch.

Closer to Denver in the Empire area (off Hwy 40) there is Bill Moore Lake, Red Elephant Hill, and Mill Creek. I haven't done Red Elephant, but that trail system is just not my favorite. Nothing wrong with it, just a bit busier since it is closer to Denver.

Also off of I70, in the Minturn / Red Cliff area is a decent trail system. My favorite being Wearyman Gulch.

Hit me up as the trip gets closer. I am always up for a day in the woods!
Holy cow that's a lot of trails! You guys are very lucky!

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkalater79 View Post
Holy cow that's a lot of trails! You guys are very lucky!

Check out www.traildamage.com if you want to read trail descriptions of the above mentioned trails and many more. Great trip reports, maps, directions, pics and videos!
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.