Wildfire Damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Wildfire Damage

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
WJRhoAds
2002 WJ 

Wildfire Damage

I'm starting to plan a jeep trip to Colorado, possibly around the Breckenridge/Leadville area, and I've been searching around trying to find a map of what areas have been affected by the wildfires but have not had much luck. I think I found that there had been one wildfire in that area. SO im here to get some help from the locals! Has there been any wildfires in that area or the surrounding areas that would make some of the trails unpassable/not worth going on?

Also, excuse my ignorance but this trip would be taking place mid October...when do the temperatures start falling and snow start accumulating on the trails. Is that going to be too late?

Thanks in advance.

WJRhoAds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No significant fires in that area yet. By mid October the higher passes and trails could be snowed in.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Also, excuse my ignorance but this trip would be taking place mid October...when do the temperatures start falling and snow start accumulating on the trails. Is that going to be too late?
That depends on whether mother nature is taking her bipolar meds or not. It can be relatively warm and sunny, cool and rain, or 3ft of snow could fall in a very short time, and yeah Ive seen it all,lol. FYI, last I heard, we were heading into an El Nino pattern, so that may mean more precip, if I recall. Look more into that. I don't think there were any significant fires around leadville. The highway from Leadville to the Vail area(I think) is closed, due to a sinkhole from an old railroad tunnel. http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm;jsess...A357E17E.node1
Keep that site handy.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
FunTreks
2012 JK Wrangler 

For current pass conditions, including when they're closed for the year, checkout www.bushducks.com. They allow locals to update the status of passes so the info is usually pretty up to date. As has been said, October can bring a variety of conditions, so just check before heading out
FunTreks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The web site I used for fire status (with burn maps) is here:
http://www.inciweb.org/state/6/

They would have fire perimeter maps but it seems those are only listed active burns.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.