Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wheeling in northern Colorado tomorrow?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  irnmadn88 
#1 ·
Anyone want to do some wheeling tomorrow in northern Colorado? I'm a lone TJ Rubicon. Maybe Ballard road and the end of Greer. I was up there last weekend and there was plenty of snow. I got to just before Greer before I got uncomfortable continuing alone. The snow may be gone now which would make for a very easy trail. Anywhere else would be fine too, I just don't know what else is open.

#2 ·
If anyone was curious, I did go up to Ballard and Greer last weekend. Most of it was completely clear of snow, there was some mud and water. About halfway through the Greer leg started getting snow on the trail again. At the red pen on the attached picture there were two trees down that no one had passed, snow looked deep on the other side. The first tree probably could have been cut out with a hand saw but the second tree will probably require a chainsaw.

Attachments

#4 ·
That is the thing with those MVUM maps. They tell you there is a road but no topo lines nor do they tell you what condition the road is in.

I once went down Spring Creek to learn that lesson the hard way.

I also help with recovering stuck vehicles and have learned that roads running north south and/or on the north face of hills below tree line have the latest/deepest snow.

One really needs to cross reference with other sources to get a better understanding of what could be out there. It is very easy to get in a stuck situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.