What shooting spots are still open. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > What shooting spots are still open.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
xd1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What shooting spots are still open.

We want to go target practice in the front range. Sorry but I cant cope with cherry creek anymore and all of the clubs around Denver that we can find have a 4 year wait list. Love firing line for pistol but no rife. All the info I can find online is out dated. Does anyone know what is still open? We are teachers so off all summer and really bored.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1978
xd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
PLAN D

There is a nice place off of Squaw Pass (103). Call Clear Creek Ranger for more info. Wherever you go, don't forget to pick up your brass.
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Summit County has a medium, long, and skeet range.
Unread 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Unless something has changed, you can shoot in any National Forest, as long as you are off the road 300 yds.... I go up in the woods and set up my own range.

In general, recreational shooting is allowed on most National Forest System lands.

36 CFR 261.10(d) Prohibits discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; or
Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any area manner or place whereby any peron or property is exposed to injured damage as a result in such discharge.
Into or within any cave.
Areas closed to target shooting on the South Platte Ranger District of the Pike National Forest include:
All areas within 1/4 mile of roads and most of the Rampart Range Road area north of the Douglas County Line and areas within 1/4 mile of the South Platte river. (see Order UFC-02-09)
Slaughterhouse Gulch area west of Park County 43. (see Order 09-07)
For a printable shooting brochure, with rules, regulations, and local closures, click here.
Think before you shoot:
Please consider using non-toxic, biodegradable clay pigeons. They decompose on contact with water (i.e. rain and snow). Fiber wad shot shells are a good idea, too.
Please pick up all litter including spent shells and take them home with you.
Don't shoot trees!
Watch for livestock!
Pick a safe spot with a good backstop.
Look around before you shoot.....People can appear suddenly in your sights.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Colorowdy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I usually have to make the trek out to the Pawnee national grasslands, about an hour east of Fort Collins, has lots of space to shoot, they recently built a pretty nice shooting lane facility out there, benches and all, I just wish it weren't so far away.... There's no convenient places to shoot around denver that don't suck as far as I know.
Colorowdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

One of my favorite spots is up Mt. Herman Rd. West of Monument. There are a couple of good spots up there. There is also a place Southwest of Deckers, but I don't remember where.
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAN D View Post
Wherever you go, don't forget to pick up your brass.
And your trash!
Might be a little far out for you but have you tried Ben Lomand Gun Club.
It's east of Kiowa. Last I heard they didn't have a wait list.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The spot southwest of Deckers is (or was) on Hwy 67 just north of the Douglas-Teller County Line, pretty much due west of the Rainbow Falls campground. However, just like every other public range that folks use, there are the 10% that screw it up for the rest. DCSO, USFS, and Mountain Communities Fire have had to respond out there quite a few times because idiots start fires, not to mention the lack of policing their own trash.

Rampart Range Rd used to have a range on the El Paso County portion just north of Garden of the Gods, but like so many others, idiots closed it down. That closure was two-fold however - idiots who can't be trusted around anything more dangerous than a spoon, combined with people who built/moved into houses downrange.

Ben Lomond is pretty decent although it's got a bit of a drive associated. It's not a public range though, which helps keep it open.

Don't forget that Firing Line will let you shoot rifle, although they limit it to rimfire only, last time I checked.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
pajeep1234
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I'll be in the Alma area and wondered where we could shoot around there?
pajeep1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
92BlackandBlue
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is dragonman still open?
92BlackandBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Rubi Unlimited

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No wait list......

http://crci.org/
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAN D View Post
There is a nice place off of Squaw Pass (103). Call Clear Creek Ranger for more info. Wherever you go, don't forget to pick up your brass.
Quoting an old post...

I have heard that there is an initiative to move that unofficial location near Squaw Mountain further up CO-103 nearer to Devil's Nose which is accessible by a Fire Service Road about a mile from Echo Lake...

Trust me, having spent the night renting the fire lookout on Squaw Mountain, those 10% asshats have royally trashed that area...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Unless something has changed, you can shoot in any National Forest, as long as you are off the road 300 yds.... I go up in the woods and set up my own range.

In general, recreational shooting is allowed on most National Forest System lands.

36 CFR 261.10(d) Prohibits discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; or
Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any area manner or place whereby any peron or property is exposed to injured damage as a result in such discharge.
Into or within any cave.
Areas closed to target shooting on the South Platte Ranger District of the Pike National Forest include:
All areas within 1/4 mile of roads and most of the Rampart Range Road area north of the Douglas County Line and areas within 1/4 mile of the South Platte river. (see Order UFC-02-09)
Slaughterhouse Gulch area west of Park County 43. (see Order 09-07)
For a printable shooting brochure, with rules, regulations, and local closures, click here.
Think before you shoot:
Please consider using non-toxic, biodegradable clay pigeons. They decompose on contact with water (i.e. rain and snow). Fiber wad shot shells are a good idea, too.
Please pick up all litter including spent shells and take them home with you.
Don't shoot trees!
Watch for livestock!
Pick a safe spot with a good backstop.
Look around before you shoot.....People can appear suddenly in your sights.
While that is more or less correct, they can make changes at the local level and ban shooting. Cases in point, Mt Herman road and Rampart road down by Colorado Springs. Rampart gun range has been closed for many years now, and the road has been closed since the Waldo fire, though I heard that may change within the year. Mt Herman road is now offlimits to shooting since this summer, as well as more of Rampart road in Teller county. Ignorance by non-shooters, and stupidity by some shooters are increasingly making it difficult.

Dragonmans is still open thankfully, he just had his annual machine gun shoot.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Those closures you mention are due to fires and errosion damage, not shooters in particular.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Not entirely - the Rampart shooting area in El Paso County was closed due to shooters, trash, and encroachment from houses.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.