Walsenburg, Montrose, or Alamosa? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Walsenburg, Montrose, or Alamosa?

I have job options at all three locations, so I'm trying to decide which would be best overall. Considerations include nearby amenities, mountain ranges, wheelin' options, hiking, and other outdoor activities. Another important consideration is cost of living. I can check online for that, but I know from experience that real world experience is far more telling than any statistics on the web. I'd hate to take a job only to find out the cost of living absorbs my entire paycheck.

I currently live in Woodland Park and previously lived in Steamboat Springs. I know how tough it can be to get by in the mountains of Colorado. It's not cheap. Though these three locations should be less absurdly expensive - again, based upon online sources.

I'd appreciate anything anyone could tell me. Right now Montrose is my top pick just because of the San Juans to the south.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 AM
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Right now Montrose is my top pick just because of the San Juans to the south.
This.

Also, Walsenburg is a very economically depressed area, and Alamosa is just brutally cold in the winter!

"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
post #3 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
This.

Also, Walsenburg is a very economically depressed area, and Alamosa is just brutally cold in the winter!
Hey, you. I'm living in Woodland Park right now. Why haven't we met up? It's always one of those someday things. Well, someday should happen before I move!

Thanks for the recommendation. I too prefer Montrose, but I guess it'll come down to who offers me the job and/or the best pay considering cost of living. I should have called these job 'prospects' instead of 'options,' but they're fairly far along. I have an interview in Montrose coming up and have the people in Walsenburg quite enthused. Heck, I have a high possibility of getting an offer from Cheyenne, but I so don't want to live there. Even Alamosa would probably be preferable. Wyoming isn't a bad state, but Cheyenne? Maybe I'm wrong...

Colorado Springs has proven too competitive. I really like the area, especially Woodland Park, but I can't stick around without a good job. People telling me to work at City Market don't understand cost of living these places! LOL Yeah, you might make enough to pay the rent. ... might.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM
2013gecko

Garage
Montrose is where my wife and I would like to move. so much cheaper than the front range. plus Ouray and Telluride and miles and miles of trails are a short drive away
post #5 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013gecko View Post
Montrose is where my wife and I would like to move. so much cheaper than the front range. plus Ouray and Telluride and miles and miles of trails are a short drive away
Monument is expensive. It's even worse than Woodland Park, where I currently live. I can understand wanting to live somewhere cheaper, with better access to trails. You forgot Silverton. I like Silverton a lot.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

post #6 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Hey, you. I'm living in Woodland Park right now. Why haven't we met up? It's always one of those someday things. Well, someday should happen before I move!

Thanks for the recommendation. I too prefer Montrose, but I guess it'll come down to who offers me the job and/or the best pay considering cost of living. I should have called these job 'prospects' instead of 'options,' but they're fairly far along. I have an interview in Montrose coming up and have the people in Walsenburg quite enthused. Heck, I have a high possibility of getting an offer from Cheyenne, but I so don't want to live there. Even Alamosa would probably be preferable. Wyoming isn't a bad state, but Cheyenne? Maybe I'm wrong...

Colorado Springs has proven too competitive. I really like the area, especially Woodland Park, but I can't stick around without a good job. People telling me to work at City Market don't understand cost of living these places! LOL Yeah, you might make enough to pay the rent. ... might.
I grew up in Woodland Park and would still live there if I could afford a decent house there.

"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
post #7 of 22 Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
I grew up in Woodland Park and would still live there if I could afford a decent house there.
I like it here. It's beautiful. It's impossible to afford though. The job I thought I was moving for fell through, and I've been struggling to find something else since. There's a malaise I feel from people at times, too. "Woodland Park is just a bedroom community of Colorado Springs. It's not really autonomous. It doesn't have any businesses or economy." I've heard so much of that, it's depressing. I even heard that at the local Workforce office when I went in. I feel a sense of no one really taking pride in the community and wanting it to thrive on its own, as it's own entity. I still like the area, and the people are on average very friendly.

I wonder if Montrose has a more prosperous disposition. Perhaps? It is more remote and kind of has to have autonomy. I'll see how things go with my interview Friday. It'll also give me the chance to see the town a bit more and get a feel for it.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

post #8 of 22 Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 AM
2013gecko

Garage
Quote:

Monument is expensive. It's even worse than Woodland Park, where I currently live. I can understand wanting to live somewhere cheaper, with better access to trails. You forgot Silverton. I like Silverton a lot.
Actually it's so much cheaper than Denver where we moved from, lol. I guess expensive is all in perspective.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Justin04Lj

Out of the first three you listed Montrose is the best by far.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013gecko View Post
Actually it's so much cheaper than Denver where we moved from, lol. I guess expensive is all in perspective.
I had a job offer in Brighton, but the pay wouldn't have covered living expenses. I was directed to the only affordable living housing in the area, and it was still absurdly expensive for what it was. Ghetto apartments for $8-900 a month?

Yes, it snows in Texas.

post #11 of 22 Old 02-07-2016, 11:32 AM
HippyMoose

Montrose, period.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyMoose View Post
Montrose, period.
Why the consensus on Montrose? I have to wonder.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

post #13 of 22 Old 02-09-2016, 05:32 AM
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
See post #2 above...

post #14 of 22 Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 AM
2013gecko

Garage
Quote:

We often vacation in montrose. That's coming from the front range. For us it's the amazing weather even in the winter. The proximity to amazing wheeling and great restaurants in Ouray and Telluride. Also very close to Moab
post #15 of 22 Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

The other job prospects have kind of fizzled. Montrose is pushing me to come to a decision. I just don't know where I stand. The job has a low base pay with a lot dependent on commissions. I've never had a job like that before. I'm not a big salesperson. It makes me uneasy to risk so much on it. I'd hoped for something else at another, even less highly thought of location, to pan out. Due to a job mattering as much as the place. You need a good job for happiness wherever you are. I'd originally applied for a different job in Montrose, but it was filled in-company. This new position cropped up by happenstance. Now, I'm wondering what I should do.

Yes, it snows in Texas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.