Visiting Colorado - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Jeeps4life13
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Visiting Colorado

Hey everyone, I am going to be out in Colorado for a wedding in the fall, and was looking for some jeep info. The wedding is in Vail, we are staying in Breckenridge. Its going to be a 4 day weekend, so we are planning on flying out to Denver. Is there anywhere in the area to rent a jeep or 2? I had hoped to spend a little time off highway (between the breweries and the wedding hopefully i can find time).

This brings me to my next question, are there any "easy" off highway trails in the area. I'm looking for something that you kind of need a jeep for, but doesn't involve driving along steep drop offs or shelf roads as I've seen them referred too (we will be bring the wives along). A couple of us a big into photography, so i'd lean more towards that, than serious off roading.

and finally, any "must sees" in the area? Left Hand brewery, and Breckenridge brewery are on the top of my list. If there are any other good places to see or eat, place with a great outdoor seating area with a view would be awesome!

Thanks for the help

Jason

--------------------------
05 TJ Willys 4.0L Auto
2.25" BB
32x11.5 Kumho MTs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2016, 11:38 AM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lots of trails around Breck:

Peak 10
Webster Pass
Boreas Pass
Peru Creek
Keystone Gulch

All trails described in detail here: www.funtreks.com or http://www.traildamage.com

Then there is the snow issue which could impact availability.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 AM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fall? When? What day of the 4 is the wedding?

I live at 10,000 feet between DIA and Breckenridge. It can snow here as soon as Labor Day. (It did in 2014.)

As for point A- Breckenridge and Point B- Left Hand Brewery in Longmont...

Depending on your itinerary, you could take CO-9 to Kremmling then US-40 over to Granby then go through the Rocky Mountain National Park to Estes Park, Lyons, then Longmont. It would take over 4 hours just driving 170 miles just to get from Breckenridge to Longmont without stops.

There is lots to see and having the top down is great. Lots of great photo ops.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Jeeps4life13
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was reading about some of those on trail damage website. Any personal favorites?

05 TJ Willys 4.0L Auto
2.25" BB
32x11.5 Kumho MTs
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Jeeps4life13
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The wedding is labor-day weekend. Hopefully you don't get snow that early this year. That route through Rocky Mountain National Park sounds amazing, it might be a little tough to talk everyone else into that. I will definitely try. Any information on renting a jeep while we are out there?

05 TJ Willys 4.0L Auto
2.25" BB
32x11.5 Kumho MTs
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Enterprise:

http://www.enterprise.com/en/car-ren...er-4-door.html

Which day of the weekend is the wedding?

Labor Day weekend is asking a lot in terms of traveling through RMNP in terms of traffic.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps4life13 View Post
Yeah, I was reading about some of those on trail damage website. Any personal favorites?
Both Webster and Boreas passes follow the old train routes so the grade is gradual and not too high. Good scenery though. Probably a bit too early for the fall colors, but you never know. Peru creek is in a valley with tall mountains on either side. There is also an old mining mill to explore. Also good scenery. Peak 10 is high (13000+ ft msl) with some easy switchbacks. You feel like you are on top of the world there. Good views of Breck and Dillon res. Keystone gulch meanders through the Keystone ski area before climbing up to some old mines. Only need 2 wd for most of the trail, but it gets high at the end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.