Visiting CO for mild off-road adventure. Can you recommend some trails? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
chance_p
Buddy Guy
2008 WK 

Visiting CO for mild off-road adventure. Can you recommend some trails?

Hey guys my name is Chance. I have been a member of JF since 06. Joined up when I got my first XJ at age 16. Fast forward 10 years and I now drive an 08 WK 4.7 with 2.25 inch lift and 32's. The reason I am posting is that I am trying to plan a trip for my cousin and I. He drives an XJ with 4.5" lift and 33's. Neither one of us has lockers and were just running AT tires. We really have no idea what to look for as far as trails go. I have looked at the maps of all the trails in CO but it is a bit over-whelming. I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down our selection. We don't want to try anything too crazy as we will be driving 10 hours each way for this trip, and and honestly we aren't that experienced. There isn't much here in IA in regards to wheeling.

Ideally we would like to hit a longer trail that would allow us to set up camp for the evening half way through the trail. Some scenery would be nice (again, were from IA lol). As I have already said we don't have the most capable rigs so nothing too extreme. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks for your time,
Chance

08 WK 4.7 QTII - Daystar BB - Bilstein 4600 - JK Moabs - 265/70 Cooper AT/3 - Flashpaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Gru98

Garage
If you haven't already check out traildamage.com they have a ton of good info. I was looking for the same thing you are and found some really cool stuff on that website. I was hoping to wheel harder trails too but alas the roads and dirt that I've been on have been great so far. I've been going to places near pueblo. I'm not sure where you're wanting to end up here though
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
chance_p
Buddy Guy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru98 View Post
If you haven't already check out traildamage.com they have a ton of good info. I was looking for the same thing you are and found some really cool stuff on that website. I was hoping to wheel harder trails too but alas the roads and dirt that I've been on have been great so far. I've been going to places near pueblo. I'm not sure where you're wanting to end up here though
Thanks for the link! I have not yet checked out that site but I will do so now. I'm hoping to find something as far East as possible, since I am coming from Iowa, but if it takes a little more driving to get to the perfect trails then so be it.

08 WK 4.7 QTII - Daystar BB - Bilstein 4600 - JK Moabs - 265/70 Cooper AT/3 - Flashpaq
post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
....... I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down our selection. We don't want to try anything too crazy as we will be driving 10 hours each way for this trip, and and honestly we aren't that experienced. ........
Ideally we would like to hit a longer trail that would allow us to set up camp for the evening half way through the trail. Some scenery would be nice (again, were from IA lol). As I have already said we don't have the most capable rigs so nothing too extreme. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks for your time,
Chance
look at this guide book https://www.funtreks.com/guide-to-co...ls-3rd-edition

Also for a overnight trip 2 trails come to mind.
one will take you to Moab UT from Montrose CO It is a 166 miles of dirt county roads with a couple of towns (Nucla CO & Naturita CO) in the middle.

The other is the white rim trail in Canyonlands National Park (near Moab). it is about 90 miles long. there are camp site along it for those hiking it. I had planned to do this one last year buy it was blocked by a rock fall.

Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
post #5 of 10 Old 05-06-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
chance_p
Buddy Guy
2008 WK 

What would the weather be like early to mid September?

post #6 of 10 Old 05-07-2016, 06:47 AM
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
What would the weather be like early to mid September?
Usually that time of year is very nice.....or you might get snowed on!

"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
post #7 of 10 Old 05-07-2016, 08:18 AM
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
Usually that time of year is very nice.....or you might get snowed on!
Colorado is rather difficult to predict. I'd say the odds of seeing significant snow is low compared to the odds of sun and warm weather. Possibly equally likely is a dusting of snow that doesn't really prevent you from doing much and melts in an hour or two. Still, early September would be better.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
chance_p
Buddy Guy
2008 WK 

Well it looks like we will be arriving Sept 9th around noon and leaving the 11th in the early afternoon.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM
ItsACheapThing

Looks like we have nailed down a plan. September 3rd (saturday) we will be departing Lake City to head over Engineer, then Black Bear. Hoping to be able to get on Imogene and find a place to camp overnight. Then Sunday do Imogene and Cinnamon. Sound like a decent plan to those experienced with the area?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 PM
ItsACheapThing

This is Chance_P. Had to make a new account on here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.