Trails to run near Denver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Trails to run near Denver?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Trails to run near Denver?

looks like sometime in the spring/summer of next year i am gonna be heading to the Denver area for about a week or so. Most likely in my stock-ish 98 ZJ. when i say stock-is, right now it has a BB and 31 AT tires. Hopefully, by the time i make it out there it will be on 4" or so lift and 33's. Open/open with disconnects.

Looking to spend at least one day of my vacation doing some scenic wheeling. Nothing overly difficult as i will be driving about 1000 miles from home for this and want to make it back in one piece, but i don't want something that provides no challenge at all either. any suggestions on what to run? i have alot of wheelin under my belt and have a pretty good feel for the ZJ's limit but i would say the KY terrain i am used to is a whole different animal that what is out there in Colorado.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
FunTreks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, there are sooo many options for a modified ZJ. You will be able to complete virtually any moderate trail in the state, and some of the 'red' trails if you really want to. There are plenty of fun trails near Denver, everything from the popular Lefthand Canyon area in Boulder to the myriad of trails near Idaho Springs, and plenty in between. Do you have an idea of what other places you'll be visiting while here?
FunTreks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

not yet. wife and i decided we wanted to go west for our summer vacation next year and wanted to go to Colorado. I said i Refused to go out without either driving the Jeep to wheel, or taking my blazer out there to wheel, but no matter what we would be doing some offroading for it.

She went out there a few years ago to Denver and Boulder. we are just in the starting stages of planning it all right now. just want to get a good head start on planning it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

Check out
www.traildamage.com
Rankings, pictures and google earth locations.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

thanks, great link with tons of info. any in particular you would recommend?

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
PowderHound
2003 WJ 

You can't go wrong with any of the ones that are rated for senic views. Try Russel Gulch for easy senic wheeling thru a ghost town.
2003 WJ♦Inferno Red Limited(4.7 H.O., Vari-Lok axles)♦OME HD/BILLY 5100S♦IRO t-case skid, adj. tb, sway links♦Moog SS♦Factory tow package w/harness & tow hooks♦ Amp/12 sub box♦new bad b**ch passenger♦1993 XJ country♦lift/muds/winchbumper-sold♦build thread instead of long A$$ sig soon...
PowderHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
jgw1985

+1 to traildamage
jgw1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Russel gulch looks nice, would be cool to see the old ghost town but i saw it said on another site it is passable in 2wd. still gonna try to run it for the views, but i would like to find at least one trail to pose a challenge.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe step it up to Middle St. Vrain, Coney Flats or the T33A Plane Crash run. They will test you on rocks and skids are highly reccomended. Coney also offers a water crossing that varies in difficulty depending on rain fall.
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Kingston Peak
Yankee Hill
Bill Moore Lake
All pretty easy but require at least lo range 4wd.

Next step up
Kelley Flats
Coney Flats
Red Cone
Red Elephant hill
Jenny Creek
These would require some clearance and/or skid plates and some traction from the tires.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You said you are coming next spring or summer. Many trails because of altitude and snow do not get open until late May or even late June on some. So your time of coming could be quite relevant to what is open.
There are a couple that usually get run all winter. One example of that is Chinaman's Gulch in Buena Vista. This is an excellent trail - not too hard but not too easy. It's not one you would want to do alone.
Other easier trails that might be open would be Left Hand Canyon near Boulder and Slaughterhouse Gulch near Bailey.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.