Trails Near Boulder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Trails Near Boulder?

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Trails Near Boulder?

My brother and I are heading to Boulder the 1st weekend in August. We are from Iowa and are looking for good trails to check out. My jeep is fairly well built (the driver is probably the limiting factor) so we want some challenging trails and play areas. We are also looking to fly fish and maybe camp out in the mountains one night. The Ward area was mentioned to us by a friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IowaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Check this site...

http://www.traildamage.com/google_co...105.4523000000
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice I have looked at this site and it is very helpful. The guy I bought the jeep from recommended Spring Creek, Lefthand Canyon, and Caribou Creek. Traildamage makes them all seem like good options. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have experienced any of the local trails there. It would be great if they could point us in the right direction for some fly fishing as well.
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Left Hand Canyon is pretty good. Close to Boulder and has some challenging stuff. Find it on the Trail Damage link already posted

Spring Creek is great - quite challenging
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
turbospartan
2012 WK 

St. Vrain trails are in / around / near water, so you could possibly fish around those.

I've never been there though, so can't comment on how difficult they are.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Spring creek: Not too far a drive and decent wheeling. If going on a weekend it will be crowded. No fishing near the trail exactly, but not too far from some.
Caribou: Too easy for my taste. Not worth it, IHMO.
Left Hand: Since the main canyon was closed, it's only OK, but it's the closest to Boulder. No fishing.
Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats: Not difficult, but fun, probably fish in the lake at the top, but I'm not an angler, so I can't say for sure. Not much farther from Boulder than Left Hand. I'd vote for this or Spring Creek as camping is more practical here.
churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the info it has all been helpful. I am open to any trails within a reasonable distance of Boulder. And that distance can be further I suppose if we are going to camp and drive back. Camping isn't necessary, just an option. I definitely want to find the limits of the jeep or the driver and push them a bit. Are there any trails or play areas that will have some crawling challenges?
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One more thing. I am bringing out my KTM 250SXF motorcycle as well. Any tracks or trails in the area? The more I think about this trip the more I realize it could be the perfect guy trip. Wheeling, fishing, rafting?, camping, golf, mx riding, what else could a guy ask for?
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dude...I moved out here from Waukee this past October. I'm real close to Boulder and have run quite a few trails out here. Left Hand Canyon is a good one with some small challenges and some great views. I see quite a few dirt bikes on that trail. Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats are good for some water crossings. You can access both of those trails from Camp Dick. There is camping there, but it gets crowded. But if you start down the Middle St. Vrain trail, there are a few camping spots way out in the woods, and close to a stream. T-33A is close to those trails; that takes you within several hundred yards of a plane crash from the 60s; you can still see wreckage. If you want great views of Estes Park, just a bit north of there is Pole Hill, Johnny Park Road, Pierson Park Road. None of those are technically challenging, but they've got great views. There are trails further north, closer to Ft. Collins that I have yet to check out. And plenty of trails anywhere else throughout the state.

I can't help with the fishing, and I've done limited camping out here but could ask around work for some good spots.

You'll love your trip out here.
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's great information. I appreciate everyone's input. It's getting closer and closer and I can't wait!
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

X2 for middle st. Vrain. Did it yesterday and it is good. Lots of fishing in the way up boulder canyon. Here is a quick pic for you.

There are all types of trails right here including a neat plane crash site. The T-33a plane crash. Hope you enjoy your trip.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Mile Hi jeep club, Patrol 9

MY BUILD
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

X3 on MSV for your KTM especially! My husband did it on his (formerly-owned KTM) along with a friend of his on a dirt bike (brand - I can't remember)! They tagged along with a bunch of us in Jeeps and other assorted 4x4's... It was a blast for all!

Camping at Camp Dick puts you in close proximity to lot's of options. (It's a commercial camp ground, but you can find free sites near-by off MSV).
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
IowaTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys just letting you all know how it went. Did middle st vrain, coney flatts, t 33 and some others. Lots of fun but a little easy after awhile. Headed to moody hill the next day and that's when it got really fun. Did the quarry area which was really challenging and sketchy, but made it thru. We got on some back trail which had alot of obstacles all the way to the top. We ended up on the very peak of one of the mountains which was pretty amazing. Then took a trail that got really narrow and didn't look like anybody had been on it all year and was about wide enough for an atv. Of course it ended so we had to take it back out as well, just a few extra scratches. It was an awesome trip and didn't break anything. Next time I will have to try harder. Thanks to everyone for all the info.
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Pics?
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you had a good time.

You where likely on Crystal Mountain but then seems you went onto a trail you shouldn't have been on. You really should make sure you know where you are and if you are on a legal trail or not.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.