Trail Advice from Colorado Jeepers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Trail Advice from Colorado Jeepers

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Trail Advice from Colorado Jeepers

My wife and I will be spending 5-6 days jeeping in Colorado. Our base camp will be at the old hotel in Pitkin. We have a 2004 Rubicon in excellent condition that is essentially stock except for a 2.5" lift. We have 31" tires and no winch. These are the trails we are looking at:

Around Marble, south of Glenwood Springs: Devils Punchbowl, Lead King Basin
South of Aspen: Pearl Pass, Montezuma Basin, Italian Creek/Reno Divide, Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass
Between Buena Vista and Pitkin: Grizzly Lake, Iron Chest Mine, Pomeroy Lakes, Tincup Pass/St. Elmo, Tomichi Pass
West of Buena Vista: Chinaman Gulch

I consider myself a pretty fair driver with only a few scrapes underneath our 2004 Rubicon and I will turn around if I don't think I can make a difficult section. We have jeeped extensively in Colorado, New Mexico and some in the Moab, Utah area. We are looking for trails that will challenge us as far as our jeep will take us as it currently stands. I am looking for honest advice on the above trail selections. Are there Jeepers who have within the past year run these trails? Are there some we should definitely mark off the list? Are there trails on the list that we should definitely not want to miss?

Last edited by Gymguyjeep; 07-24-2007 at 10:04 AM..
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

The only trail on there your jeep would have all kinds of trouble is Iron Chest.

33's, front & rear traction devises are required. It's the first 1/8th or so mile that requires it. After that, it's easy.

Old Chinamans Gulch would be a bit tough but doable.

Montezuma Basin, Italian Creek/Reno Divide, Taylor Pass, Pomeroy Lakes, Tincup Pass, Tomichi Pass
I don't know anything about.

I'm sure all of the passes are fine to do. St Elmo you just have to get up the entrance & your fine.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea Iron Chest might be a pita - I'd leave it alone.
Most of those you should handle ok although there's a couple I would be skeptical doing alone - Devil's Punchbowl and Chinaman's.
Here's some pics of Chinaman's from this spring. The flop was really a fluke and was a result of a missed clutch pedal. However caution is warranted and that's why I say this one is not a good idea alone. Plus a lot of the obstacles you see in these pics are optional. The guy that led this run has a stock Rubicon.
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...20Old%20Farts/
Jim
Unread 07-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Taylor and Tincut passes are very easy and VERY scenic...might as well add Pearl Pass on there since you'll be in the neighborhood.
Unread 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So far, Iron Chest Mine and Chinaman's Gulch are the toughest ones on the list according to the responses and are probably better left alone. Otisdog I appreciate the pictures of your Chinaman run. ArloguthroJeep, I found Pearl Pass on the map and will add it to the list. I would still like to hear from other jeepers who have been on the trails on the list. I am open for suggestions.

How about this: My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on this trip. How lucky can a man be to have a wife who loves wheelin' so much that she wants to be no where else but out riding trails on the 25th year we have been married.
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, out of the trails on the list I have only run Chinamans. Chinamans is a long tough day but a lot of fun. Nothing that you could not do in a stock rubicon. There are really only two obstacles that you can not by pass.

1. Whales Tale: Stay to the far right for the easy line. A fairly stock Grand was with us and had no problems here.

2. The V-notch or the Squeeze do not remember the name for sure. Put the passenger tire on the ridge as you drive up and around the rock on your driver side.

Or if you want to tic people off run it backward and slide down all the obsticles.

But this trail like I said is doable for stock Rubi but prepare to be there most of the day.

And from what I have heard Ironchest would be pretty tough stock.

Visit: http://www.traildamage.com/
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymguyjeep
So far, Iron Chest Mine and Chinaman's Gulch are the toughest ones on the list according to the responses and are probably better left alone. Otisdog I appreciate the pictures of your Chinaman run. ArloguthroJeep, I found Pearl Pass on the map and will add it to the list. I would still like to hear from other jeepers who have been on the trails on the list. I am open for suggestions.

How about this: My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on this trip. How lucky can a man be to have a wife who loves wheelin' so much that she wants to be no where else but out riding trails on the 25th year we have been married.

Make sure to bring all of the trail fix equipment and fluids with you. You will love all of the trails that you have listed.

I spent my 3 year anniversary in Moab with my wife last year- so I know the luck I hope you guys have a blast!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed information on this thread. We returned on Sunday and had a great experience with no breakage. We did have a punctured tire that was easily fixed. We didn't get to do all the trails we wanted in the area, but these are the ones that we did:

Taylor Pass (tough spots coming out of the creek and approaching the Taylor lake)
Pearl Pass (no problems here except for the punctured tire)
Italian Creek/Reno Divide (very wet from rain, mud bogs slick and deep, took upper Reno Divide and had little trouble on talus ledge in one spot)
Tincup Pass (easy, no problems, the resturant in Tincup has an excellent breakfast!)
Alpine Tunnel/Williams Pass (Williams Pass was very muddy and it was a struggle, but it is only open a few weeks a year and had to try it)
Hancock Pass (a few rocky challenges coming up)
Tomichi Pass (Why is this rated Difficult?)
Pomeroy Lakes (Great short trail with a couple of tough spots)

Wanted to do Devil's Punchbowl, but was talked out of it by a local jeep tour guide. He said there had been alot of rain and it would be slick and dangerous.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a great time. Do you have any pictures for us? We all love pics!
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I second that.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
jeepermom
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj colorado jeeper tires and lift?

Really enjoyed the pictures!!

We're going to be in Colorado this summer to go wheeling I Have a Rubicon, and our son has a 98 stock TJ with narrow LTB tires.

For going on the trails, What size tires are best? Do you need to go really wide?
Or is a narrow mud tire best. What is your opinion on taking extra axles drive shafts fludis etc. for trail repair. This is our first time of really going off road in Colorado.

I'm game for some challenging trails, but our son doesn't want to "roll his jeep"

Any adivce would be great.
Thanks

Jeepermom
jeepermom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are tons of trails here many of which are suitable for completely stock vehicles. Just let people here know when you are coming and some will probably show you around.

Explore:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
Jim
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gynjuyjeep. I went with you last year up on Antero. If you want to run Chinaman's gulch, Just let me know. Would love to go with you again. I also would love to go ovet Tomichi pass too. Let me know when your going to be in the area and we can hook up.

BV Jeep

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
catskinner2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any of you guys gonna be up around silverton-ouray july 25th- aug3rd?
catskinner2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.