Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Time for some clean shorts

875 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kruzin 
#1 ·
We all know about Death Wobble.
I've experienced it a few times since I lifted my ZJ at 70+ mph. Was never too severe...slow down and it goes away...

But today (just a couple hours ago), driving home down 285 around Aspen Park at 55, it kicked in BIG time. Worse than anything I've had before. Front wheels where hoppin all over the road so bad that there was smoke comin off of em. Felt like the front end was fallin off. Barely held my lane.
Slow down to 20, and it goes away.
Start to accelerate again, and at 40 it come back with a vengence.
WTF says I.
Pull over, climb out, look under the front end....lo and behold, my friggin track bar is just hanging there, attached only to the frame side :brickwall

Ironically, I was planning on putting an adjustable track bar in this weekend, and it was in the back of the Jeep (of course my tools, nor a replacement nut/bolt where not)...

Limp it down down a little farther at 20 mph to Grant Automotive on 285 near Turkey Creek, and walk in (4:30 Friday afternoon, mind you) hoping they could do something for me. An hour (and $64.50) later, my adjustable track bar is installed, and I make it home in one peice.

Thanks Grant Automotive :cheers2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Your extreamly lucky you weren't on a curve. I've been there & done that.

Years ago in my XJ going down the highway up near Cabella's I came up on a not too sharp curve & started turning the wheel to follow it & nothing! It took almost an entire rotation of the steering wheel before the jeep responded. Tuned out that the TB had lost the bolt frame side. If it had been a sharp curve I don't think I would have made it. We limped into Sidney & found a dealership that had a correct size bolt & nut to get us home. The strange thing now is that I know way more than back then & I think about it is there was no DW. I'm very glad there wasn't. I probably would not have wanted to drive the thing after that.

#3 ·
OMG, i was behind u, i was wondering what was going on with the jeep in front of me.....

I had a dw experience about a month ago after i went to firestone to get an alignment, on my way home it started and i got out to find 3 missing lug nuts (and studs!!!) and the other two were lose on my front passenger.

#5 ·
Well, not quite all fixed up yet.
They just put the track bar on, they didn't adjust it...so right now it's pretty far out of adjustment.
The also didn't have the bolt in a grade 8 in their bolt bin. I have the proper bolt and nut on order from Jeep. Should be in tomorrow.
Also, the bolt hole in the mounting bracket on the axle is ovaled out pretty bad. It needs to have a plate or washer or something welded on...if only someone here had new welder that could do that for me ;)

#6 ·
NOW it's all taken care of.
Had the wobbbled out hole repaired, track bar adjusted and 4wheel alignment.
Jeep was sure proud of that nut and bolt. Parts guy felt bad for the price, and gave me wholesale price, but was still almost 30 bux just for the nut n bolt.

Drives almost like it should now...caster is a bit shy from the lift, till I get adjustable LCAs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.